Why do Dominicans lie???

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I noticed the same thing, when a lier is close to you and cares about you - those are white lies not to hurt you but when that person is trying to play you - it is better not to listen their BS and run away. I used to lie about little things when I was a child so that my parents don't get upset that I watched a movie they did not want me to watch, etc. I also noticed that to lie to a Dominican is not a good idea because they stop trusting you. So, it is always better to tell the truth and listen to them lie back to you ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
But I agree with Rocky about the childlike stuff, but how do those of you with kids get them to stop lying????

I think every kid in the world tries a lie or two to get out of trouble at some point or another. Once the consequences of the lie becomes worse than the consequences of the truth, they'll hopefully stop. ;) But there has to be consequences - and from what I've seen in Dominican families, consequences for misdeeds don't really happen frequently.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
The Sting

....tale of the scorpion and the frog (appropriately enough) it's in their nature.

I heard the same tale in Kenya only that the frog's part was a crocodile (as frogs are too clever...). ;)
The punchline, however, was:
"I don't know. It's Africa, you know."

So, whenever illogical and /or unbelievable things happen to you here... It's the Dominican Republic, you know." :lick:

Janin

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I heard the same tale in Kenya only that the frog's part was a crocodile. (as frogs are too clever...) ;)

The punchline, however, was:
"I don't know. It's Africa, you know."

So, whenever illogical and /or unbelievable things happen to you here... It's the Dominican Republic, you know." :lick:

Janin

An acquaintance of mine worked for some years in Africa. I asked her what were her main impressions of Africa.

She got a faraway look in her eyes and said "The drums, the heat, the flies."

Here it could be "The heat, the lies". :cross-eye

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Whistle Telltale

.... (he says they are only white lies ....And how on earth do I stop them lying?????

White?
Well, they are moreno lies, aren't they? ;)
As you've become quite good in detecting the lies, I wouldn't bother much about their bad habit.
Simply blow a whistle each time they lie to you... :laugh:

Una verg?enza, a verdad...

Janin

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I get my kicks by lieing right back at them.

Here are a few of my favorite come backs:

Money; No, I don't have any money my dogs ate it last night. You say it seriously and stick to your story no matter what they say.

Being late or a no show; You're here to do what? I had that fixed days ago.

Basically I treat them like they treat me and for the most part those closest to me don't make up stories any more because they've learned that they just don't work.

Now when a Dominican gives me a time I tell them to forget it and say I'll see when I see you and in the mean time if someone comes and does the job before you get here, sorry.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
When I hear a 'tall tale' "white lie' whatever I just say "Verdad? Yo no creo eso" then I get a stunned look, a lot of stammering and inveritably the truth!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
:laugh: The truth? Does everyone need to know all the truth all the time? And what is the truth anyway? If we had known the truth about everything in this world - cannot even imagine :paranoid:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
:laugh: The truth? Does everyone need to know all the truth all the time? And what is the truth anyway? If we had known the truth about everything in this world - cannot even imagine :paranoid:

You have a good point.... I agree that it is sometimes better not to tell the "whole" truth.... but not to lie, just better not to say anything

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was devastated when I heard the truth about the Easter bunny and OMG have you heard about Santa? Too much :laugh: