why do you live here?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You sound like a nice person so you can stay in my guest house (in my garden) for free. In Juan Dolio just 45 mins from the capital and from there check out the rest of the island. pm me for more info.

Matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bob, Lambada: Am I missing something here? I assumed I was the one he was referring to.

No he wasn't, he was referring to another poster on this thread. Go back a few pages, you'll work it out. Maybe what you are missing is a little research into the personalities of the different posters...........it'll come with time. Some friendly advice: before you assume it's directed at you & come out all arms flailing, wait. Real idiots always put their boots in their own mouths given sufficient opportunity. Trust us on this one :cheeky:. But if you come over as quick to assume you're the target & respond accordingly, other people are going to assume a level of defensiveness which might not be accurate. Sometimes, not responding is the wisest thing to do.

Answers please in a plain brown envelope is an expression you can look up, if you want to. jrhartley, matilda & I are all Brits so some of our language might not be comprehensible ;).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
you may have to share with priests and dont touch the pomegranites

Shut up JR. The house has 2 bedrooms and all mod cons (cooker fridge, microwave, hot water). A few months ago had 2 ecuadorian gay priests in it (it is available for anyone in need!!). I have a fantastic pomegranate tree in the garden that everyone wants.

Ignore JR. Most of us do!!! It was just an offer for a free place to stay while you decide what you want to do.

matilda

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Just read all from #1 to #67.

Excellent thread and, as always, excellent advice.

Thats DR1 for you Latka!! Ask the right questions, get the right answers!!

Regards

Reidy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Because we have lost the constraints of our cultures

Not swift: What about the women?
Bob, Lambada: Am I missing something here? I assumed I was the one he was referring to.

Brown envelope....?

Many of you seem very nice, and intent on helping. I appreciate that. Why has this thread degenerated to the point where one is called an idiot for no apparent reason? I just wanted to know why so many people made the choice they did with regard to relocation. Didn't mean to start an international incident...

and have swallowed too much salt water, and live either too far away from or too close to one another, and use this board as a way to talk to one another-- you guys who come in are just doing guest appearances in on ongoing vaudeville routine......

and of course now you know that it wasn't about you at all -- and that the folks here are actually tremendously helpful... and - yes, it is a complete and utter change from the US. Far more of a change than you will get in Canada or France, I can guarantee that.

We will see you soon, i assume.

latka

Feb 13, 2009
and have swallowed too much salt water, and live either too far away from or too close to one another, and use this board as a way to talk to one another-- you guys who come in are just doing guest appearances in on ongoing vaudeville routine......

and of course now you know that it wasn't about you at all -- and that the folks here are actually tremendously helpful... and - yes, it is a complete and utter change from the US. Far more of a change than you will get in Canada or France, I can guarantee that.

We will see you soon, i assume.

Yes, it is beginning to look that way.
And how'd you know I had France on the brain?

Last edited:

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
safe...

So... am I to understand that the DR is the...er...White Castle of expatriate havens? Keiser's comments smack of the same preoccupation with material things that I am finding increasingly repellent. I have had quite a bit of high end material things in my life for quite some time. Sports cars, expensive cameras and furniture, expensive suits, and many other things. I left my profession, which garnered a more than respectable income, because it was making me miserable. I have degrees in economics and statistics; I detest numbers crunching. But alasm those are things that I knew would secure me lucrative employment.

As corny as it may sound, I understand very well that material things alone do not make me happy. Buying stuff, and more expensive stuff, can easily become a balm against the wound to one's soul, inflicted by the rampant consumerism necessary for a purely capitalistic society. Give me a good, solid, safe, modest home, space for a dark room and a studio, food, wine and a good cadre of friends, and everything else need not be fancy at all.

I think it very sad that such ideas about why people choose the DR are based on monetary measures of success. The very thing I desperately want to escape.

look and have fun at your "safe" DR...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/86640-cabarete-procab-incident.html

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Well, if lurking about the west side of Chicago and the east side of Detroit doesn't make me prepared for the potentiality of violence, I don't know what will. I taught 6th grade in the city. Without a gun. You make it sound like DR is... the Gaza Strip.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just yanking our collective chains

I don't think that Keiser knows anything at all about living here - he is just the sort of guy who walks into a room and starts being offensive to see how much energy he can stir up. Not particularly what we would term "successful expat" raw material. Best to ignore -- like we learn to do with the trash on the street.:bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I taught 6th grade in the city. Without a gun.

Ah, you must have had motivated students. ;)

On DR1 we get the drama queens, the fools, the con artistes, the criminals and those who post complete non-sequiturs :rolleyes:. We also have incredibly knowledgeable and intelligent people & helpful souls who bend over backwards to help each other both on the board & in real life. Latka, look on it as a sort of initiation rite/selection process. If you can get through this one & work out whom is who, you'll stand a chance as an expat in the DR. :)