Why do you love the DR? Positive responses only please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
There are several things I love about the DR but I will only list my top three.

1st is that a dollar can go pretty far. Regardless of what people say concerning the cost of things in the Dominican Republic, my cash gets better value than in the USA.

2nd is the flirtation that is everywhere in the DR. Regardless of who you are, man or woman, Dominicans will flirt with you. My ego is happy every time I walk down the street.

3rd, is the Colonial Zone. I love the architecture and historic buildings and always feel that I am experiencing a different culture.

Mr TEEH

Oct 21, 2010
Why do i love the DR?

It is a big world, but there is a place in it for everyone. The Dominican Republic is that place for me. It is the well worn glove, the comfortable jeans, the car I've always wanted. It is the perfect mate.

I love the island's pace - the people, the heat, the food, the beer, the baseball, the sense of family, the sense of pride.

What a glorious land!

Reactions: Mooseman

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
It feels like home every time I get there. Goose bumps when you get off the plane and smell, hear and feel all that is the Dominican Republic. The music. The people. The passion. The climate. The scenery. The beaches. The rivers. The food (but miss food from home - Canada - sometimes). The love. The lust. The difference. I will always love and be patriotic to my own country but the Dominican Republic will forever be the country where my heart and soul long to be.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
b'c' the DR is the Real land of the Free Interactions,
here it is for everybody simply Normal/usual to have a Chat or a friendly Hello and a Smile everywhere, may it be at a stop at a Gas station, buying some smokes at a street Colmado, sitting on the Beach near a Dominican Family or group, there is always Free Interaction between humans, I missed such often back in Europe and also during my long Years in the US before I moved down here.

for less money I can live easier a Decent Standard of Life on the Isle compared to prior Lived in countries.

in the DR I found it easier to achieve business Success due mostly just hard work and with less Investment needed than at other places.

my first Fascination been for and still is the ocean, I've never been a real Beach Person, not even on many Beach destin vacations in different Countries, but to live and work on the open Water, far away from anything else, that is was fascinates Myself here.

Women, Noap, at any Place they could be a reason to Move Away, but they would not be any decider to choose a Place over an other, they are a widely spread out Spezies Present/Available everywhere on the Globe,
Me and the Today's Mrs decided to share the same house after I lived 10 Years on the Island already.

and the variety,
sooo much variety within a very short Distance:
in less than 3hrs We can reach from Our Beachfront House the Finca in the Mountains if we want to flee the Heat and get some cooler evening Air for a weekend, if We wanna show visiting Friends and Family something different than the always expected Sand and Sun of the beach we can reach in the same short driving Time the Capital City for a Party Weekend, just 15 minutes from that Beach we can enter a Intl Airport that connects quick and easy with the rest of the Globe.

the Variaty available for less, the better possibilities to grow something valuable with less investment, that's what I like most down here, together with the sympatic Kind of Interaction between all People who would be somewhere else just simple Strangers to each others.

Mike

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
I been going to Dominican Republic since i been an little baby, and my family are Dominican and I been so obssesed with that beautiful island is because my blood is calling that im an truly dominican even though that i was born in United States. Some things i love about the dominican republic is the beauty of the island and the people. Also I love the food of that beautiful country that i love the most and i will never hate that piece of land even that i was not born in that country but in my heart tell me that i belong to that island just like many other american-dominican that was born outside from the island. I will never be tired taking an plane and go to my country even my family love to tell me not to go cause the current situation that is happening. There something in our blood that tell that no matter what you still be one of them even that you wasn't born over there. I know for fact that one day in my life i will live in that country and make a new life without having problem. People over there are much better than the people living in America.

Reactions: Lucille

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have only been going to the DR since last year, but I love the fact that I can escape the insanity here in NYC in a few hours and be reminded of life's real values, be humbled....

I love the feeling I get when I get off the plane, the warmth (weather and people)...

The fact that my children can play outside all day with a bunch of kids without me stressing over it.....My 3 yr old boy thinks motoconcho is the best invention to mankind, lol

Isla linda y preciosa, fabulosa, maravillosa..... song relating to Puerto Rico, but applies to the DR as well (I am full of love :) )

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I been going to Dominican Republic since i been an little baby, and my family are Dominican and I been so obssesed with that beautiful island is because my blood is calling that im an truly dominican even though that i was born in United States. Some things i love about the dominican republic is the beauty of the island and the people. Also I love the food of that beautiful country that i love the most and i will never hate that piece of land even that i was not born in that country but in my heart tell me that i belong to that island just like many other american-dominican that was born outside from the island. I will never be tired taking an plane and go to my country even my family love to tell me not to go cause the current situation that is happening. There something in our blood that tell that no matter what you still be one of them even that you wasn't born over there. I know for fact that one day in my life i will live in that country and make a new life without having problem. People over there are much better than the people living in America.

Wow dude your post gave me goosebumps. I know all about carrying it in "your blood". Only thing I didn't agree with is your last sentence, but that's subjective I guess.

Unlike you I was born there and didn't leave until I was about 18 years old. Since then I have become a US citizen, raised a family here in The US, etc...but there's always that "something" just "calling" me back home. No matter how bad people tell me things are and I know that it has changed and not always for the better,there's still no other place on this earth I feel more at home than in The DR. I travel to many different places / countries on a regular basis as part of my job. Some of these places are very nice, organized, beautiful, etc...but I always find myself thinking if I had a choice would I live here (wherever it is I'm visiting) or The DR and Quisqueya always wins.

Que viva la patria!!!!!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What happened today is another good reason to like living here.

It was a really beautiful day on the north coast and was thinking it sure would be nice to go fishing but i did not have time.

At about 4pm i went for a swim in sosua bay which was calm and crystal clear.

After 20 minutes a small fishing boat lands on the beach and the tourists had a caught a small marlin, 3 large Dolphin and 2 Wahoo.

I wanted to buy some Wahoo but the Dominicans would not take my money and they gave me half a Wahoo worth about $25-$30 and the Tourists invited me to a beach BBQ to eat the other Wahoo which is about 20lbs.

I'm on my way Now

Reactions: Lucille

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great MikeI,
but they should not have brought the small white Marlin in, 1stly it is nowadays prohibited by the Law, don't know if the Norhshore forces such or still just kills anything they can lay hand on, it is also their new Breed from earlier this year what they get on the hook now in case of white Marlin.
they live only 5-7 years, not much time to get Mature and continue the Bloodline, one of the youngguns killed Today is a Dozen great Fighting Fishes Less in a few Years.
only talking the lil Marlin here of course.
fast breeders like Dolphins nice sized are no prob, plentyful of 'em around, just their youngest should kept in the water now, here on the East end Sept - end Nov is their Prime Time for the new ones, by x-mas they are nice sized, next spring they are the great catch for the Fridge.
Wahoo is my personal fav, much prefered over any Tuna by myself.
enjoy the BBQ, they are great
Mike

mudmommy

Oct 14, 2010
I first went to the DR about 5 1/2 yrs ago,, and it had me the first time,, I love the feeling when u get off the plane,, i also love the way people greet each other, and the music in the Streets,, It feels like home to me, i always get the feeling that i belong there,,,, cant wait to go back in 2 weeks!

Reactions: woofsback

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I first went to the DR about 5 1/2 yrs ago,, and it had me the first time,, I love the feeling when u get off the plane,, i also love the way people greet each other, and the music in the Streets,, It feels like home to me, i always get the feeling that i belong there,,,, cant wait to go back in 2 weeks!

I'm pretty sure you would also love the high end corruption that is prevalent in the island. I have lot of love for the DR as my fiance was born there but even her and her family acknowledge this aspect. Let's not even start with the money hungry scum politicians senadores becoming millionaires in US Dollars after assuming office not including the additional perks and these same guys would not last ten minutes in office in the US. Then there are the lawyers if you could call them that. Approximately 90% of the DR lawyers are mediocre, lazy, corrupt, and willing to sell out their own clients to say the least. I speak on personal experience and from my dominican friends experiences with these scumbags. The Dominican Bar Association please let a group of 10 US lawyers go downthere to investigate the law system and Dominican lawyers practices there and those 10 lawyers will become multi-millionaires in US Dollars within 6 months to cover up the discovery of corruption!!!! I love the DR but lets cleanup the prevalent corruption then it would become a better safer and more reliable place with an improved international reputation!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010

You sir are not Dominican instead you are an American U.S. citizen of Dominican cultural heritage. People can't seem to get it right. People born in the U.S. study and work there make their livelihoods there meaning $$$$$$ yet don't give respect to the country they were born in being the U.S.A. I take every chance possible to correct a person's ignorance when they choose to call themselves Dominican and Dominican only yet they were born and raised in the U.S.A. thats quite disrespectful, rude, negligent, and arrogant without a foundation. Let those same people go to the DR and live day in and day out and survive on the wages many lower to middle class workers earn and see if they live the same lifestyle and have an increased happiness I doubt it young man!!

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
i was born in the u.s. and partially raised there but i'll be damned if i call myself anything other than DOMINICAN. technically i am american, yes, but in the end i identify as only a Dominican who's lived 'pa fuera. Pese a quien le pese, Duela a quien le duela.

so umm clearly i just love the DR, period.:)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
i was born in the u.s. and partially raised there but i'll be damned if i call myself anything other than DOMINICAN. technically i am american, yes, but in the end i identify as only a Dominican who's lived 'pa fuera. Pese a quien le pese, Duela a quien le duela.

so umm clearly i just love the DR, period.:)

That's a blatant disrespect and lack of gratitude towards the coutry you were born in and the rights and privileges you enjoyed there while the time spent there straightup papito!!!

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
That's a blatant disrespect and lack of gratitude towards the coutry you were born in and the rights and privileges you enjoyed there while the time spent there straightup papito!!!

just because one was born in a country doesn't mean they have to like it

people have changed countries for thousands of years
because they din't like thier country or wanted a change

i'm 1/2 irish...1/4 italian...and a 1/4 french
if those people had of stayed in thier country i wouldn't be alive today :)

i feel more closer to the people of the dr. than i do in my own country

Reactions: waytogo

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009

i dont think so lol

i already pay taxes and play the productive citizen role. what more do they want from me? they cannot take my soul! :D

reason i love the DR: self-identification is an unalienable RIGHT. if you wanna refer to yourself as "purple people eater", people may giggle at 1st but theyll nod and respect it and go on w their lives. you are whatever the heck you wanna call yourself.

i dont feel i enjoy this RIGHT in the u.s. as i am always at the mercy of the observer, it seems.

so thats that. i dont care lol

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
great MikeI,
but they should not have brought the small white Marlin in, 1stly it is nowadays prohibited by the Law, don't know if the Norhshore forces such or still just kills anything they can lay hand on, it is also their new Breed from earlier this year what they get on the hook now in case of white Marlin.
they live only 5-7 years, not much time to get Mature and continue the Bloodline, one of the youngguns killed Today is a Dozen great Fighting Fishes Less in a few Years.
only talking the lil Marlin here of course.
fast breeders like Dolphins nice sized are no prob, plentyful of 'em around, just their youngest should kept in the water now, here on the East end Sept - end Nov is their Prime Time for the new ones, by x-mas they are nice sized, next spring they are the great catch for the Fridge.
Wahoo is my personal fav, much prefered over any Tuna by myself.
enjoy the BBQ, they are great
Mike

Mike,

I agree about the Marlin and I told them about it later as those should be catch and release only.

They actually caught the baby marlin in the entrence or the mouth of Sosua bay.

They caught enough fish to feed all of the beach boys and I finally got to ride my scooter on the beach....a real treat indeed.!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm pretty sure you would also love the high end corruption that is prevalent in the island. I have lot of love for the DR as my fiance was born there but even her and her family acknowledge this aspect. Let's not even start with the money hungry scum politicians senadores becoming millionaires in US Dollars after assuming office not including the additional perks and these same guys would not last ten minutes in office in the US. Then there are the lawyers if you could call them that. Approximately 90% of the DR lawyers are mediocre, lazy, corrupt, and willing to sell out their own clients to say the least. I speak on personal experience and from my dominican friends experiences with these scumbags. The Dominican Bar Association please let a group of 10 US lawyers go downthere to investigate the law system and Dominican lawyers practices there and those 10 lawyers will become multi-millionaires in US Dollars within 6 months to cover up the discovery of corruption!!!! I love the DR but lets cleanup the prevalent corruption then it would become a better safer and more reliable place with an improved international reputation!!!

Take the time to read the title of this thread and try again. There are plenty of threads about what ails this country - but this ain't one of them.

thanks

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Because it reminds me in many way's to my happy child hood.

I'v been here for more then a year now and still daily I say for something...gosh this really reminds me of when I was a child.

Things like making your own jam...falling out of water and ending up with flushing the toilet with a bucket next to it...woken up by roosters...making my own mayonaise again from scratch...getting into old recipes of my mother to make some things work here...taking a shower in the open air (we didnt have a modern bathroom when I was a child so it was in winter with a bucket inside and in the summer in a big round bucket outside just with cold water)...having a walk near by the river and decide that its hot and just to be able to jump in and have a cool down swimming...seeing people sitting in a chair in front of their door in the late afternoon enjoying each others company, having a chat, looking whats coming along the road, yelling something to the neighbor across the street, sticking their hand up when some one familiar passes by in car or on bike and honks or says hola!...GOSH thats a long long time I haven't seen that in my home country...and lots more of that stuff...stuff I remember from being a child and those are very pleasant memories.

It also really strikes me in a very positive way that here - besides the damn sterofoam - there is much recycling going on, things getting repaired and repaired again...it makes me a bit ashamed that first world countries have grown into such "Throw Away Socities" and I am the first to admit I grew into that as well.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
You sir are not Dominican instead you are an American U.S. citizen of Dominican cultural heritage. People can't seem to get it right. People born in the U.S. study and work there make their livelihoods there meaning $$$$$$ yet don't give respect to the country they were born in being the U.S.A. I take every chance possible to correct a person's ignorance when they choose to call themselves Dominican and Dominican only yet they were born and raised in the U.S.A. thats quite disrespectful, rude, negligent, and arrogant without a foundation. Let those same people go to the DR and live day in and day out and survive on the wages many lower to middle class workers earn and see if they live the same lifestyle and have an increased happiness I doubt it young man!!

Are you nuts? how is going to be disrespectful if people calling that they are dominican because they have an heritage and blood from that culture. Much better learn to says the word correctly and don't tell these kind of things. To be dominican you don't have to be born in the island, if you are part of it, so you can be an citizen with no problem because your parents comes from that country. By the way you are wrong and you seems that you dont like anything that have to be with that country, and many people can make money in that country and its not necesarry that they will have an lower wages, if you used you're right head to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.