Why do you want to educate your children in a third world country?

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
C/C You beat me to the punch with post 69, some times you say things as if it was me.
Jmb;True you make more in the U.S. but....you spend a lot more. And I would not call education in the U.S. "first world". Other than teaching children an exaggerated sense of self worth (self esteem) and a few other things they should not learn. I am with pichard on this "education" in the U.S. is inferior to just about any other place on this planet except Cuba may be.

Pick any major city or area in the USA. Boston, NY, Philly, Pittsburgh, DC, Raleigh/Durham, Chicago, and LA and just the colleges and universities in any ONE of those cities are superior in quality and number than most places, not all, in the world.

Name one country where foreigners go to get their education more than the USA. That's what makes it not only "First World Education" but also "First Rate" as well.

You must have been just finishing up that half gallon of Brugal Extra Viejo and a full rack of ribs when you wrote that garb!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Alexander Grahm Bell,Einstein,Winston Churchill,Robert Fulton,"Ben" Franklin,Barak Obama,see,we have some good white people in history too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
We eat "Pizzareli",and "Pollo Victorina" here in the DR.
Much better than your AMERICAN CRAP!

No No you can't claim Obama I didn't, you mean to say Nixon, Bush both of them, Reagan yeah these are better.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
You know Jad ...read, and you will see I was referring to children, not colleges and universities. And U.S. children do poorly when tested with other countries around the world.
So your comment and personal attack about my consumption of ribs and brugal is far off...I like pollo victorina and water melon.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Yeah,I guess it's nice to have nice expensive things,and I would never critized anyone that does,but it's just not me.I would like to build a school in San Juan,my abuelas campo and provide kids with free utiles on a yearly basis.Don't know how tough that's gonna be,but even if it's a shack,it will be better than nothing.I rather live middle class and know that I was fortunate enough to be able to contribute to changing lives.Can I afford a luxury suv and a "nice"home in whitestone queens?I'm fortunate enough,y gracias a dios,to be able to answer yes to those questions.But why tight myself to debt in the U.S.,live paycheck to paycheck,when I can go to DR,live debt free and regala some shoes to the kids and some school supplies? The pros far outweight the cons TO ME.

I feel the same way as you do, but for ME. I think I'll be comfortable to retire and stay where my wife and son stay now in POP (although I wish it wasn't as noisy with dogs barking and cocks crowing at 4am) but I know that I can do that by having the benefit of my college education and profession here in the USA and that is what I want to make sure my son has access to. And I certainly don't live in an upscale development here but I'm good with that because I don't want to be "house poor" or "car poor" either. I drive an Altima. The good thing is I won't wind up in foreclosure and my car won't get repo-ed

Also let me be a little more clear, I didn't mean elementary ed(K-8) but high school and beyond.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
. I have been a professional musician for 37 years, and I have more work and higher pay here than in the states.

Dude doesn't that statement tell why you're there and not in the states. A bit "hippocritical" don't you think? BTW where did you learn to play?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No No you can't claim Obama I didn't, you mean to say Nixon, Bush both of them, Reagan yeah these are better.

Insteady of worrying about that sh-t, you should sell your fancy SUV to put your daughter in the DR in to the best private school available insteady of letting your hard working mommy pay for her to go to a lower level school. Man up.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I love dropping her off in my 2010 Cadillac Escalade, and when she stays over in my beautiful apartment

How do you have a vehicle worth more than where you live(unless it's leased too)?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK so some people insist on making this a DR vs. USA thing which is not. Nobody's disputing that The US has a good (decent) system with lots of resources, "world class" education system, etc...but none of that assures "success" however that's defined by each one of us.

Let's say for the sake of arguments that success is defined as having a good job where you make good money. I'll put myself as an example. I was born and raised in the poorest of the poorest. Poor even by Dominican standards. I didn't have running water, electricity, or any modern comfort. My parents were illiterate. The nearest school was about 5 kilometers away. First time I SAW a TV i was 10 years old already, but I was always very interested in learning. I would get up at 5:00 AM with an oil lamp "jumeadora" to study.

My uncle who had a little bit of education taught me what he knew. I was registered for school at age 7 at first grade and by year end I was already in 3rd grade. I remember the first day I went to school the teacher was showing kids the alphabet (The letter B). I already knew how to read proficiently and how to do solve square root problems. Next year my parents couldn't afford to send me to school so I lost that year. Two years later I registered back up and did 3rd and 4th grades in one year, so even though I started late and lost one year by age 10 I was already going to 5th grade.

Fast forward to high school (about 10 kilometers away). Either walked or sometimes would get lucky and get a ride from some good Samaritan. Taught myself English with a small dictionary that a friend gave me. Graduated from high school with the highest grades (I think I still hold the record). Got a merit scholarship to an expensive liberal arts college in The US (due to my grades, English knowledge, etc). When I came to the US and tested for placement many US educated kids fell far behind me. For instance I started in Calculus whereas many had to take pre-calc in college. Graduated and eventually went to work for a big 3 firm. I have what many would consider a very good job. By your measure I've been more successful than a lot of people who grew up and were educated in The US and while I don't consider myself a failure by any stretch there are definitely things I would do different.

Now going back to high school (we just had a mini high school reunion) many of my peers from back then now live in The US, Europe or some other country. A lot of them have been very successful (some of them more than me financially) and again we were all educated in The Dominican public school system. Some of them have never left the DR and still have more money than me. Many of them are doctors, lawyers, IT managers, CEOs, etc. One of them is the current ambassador to turkey (Ex Dominican ambassador to Israel), another one runs the internet backbone and Domain for Belize, etc

My point with this long post is that some people think that if you are educated in The DR you won't be successful and viceversa if you do get educated in The US you will be...and as you can see from my own experience that's not always the case. As stated above if money is the yardstick then some of my peers who have never left The DR are way more successful than me.

Now I know my experience is not typical and given 100 average kids from The DR and 100 average kids from The US going to school those from The US will have plenty more opportunities, but by the same token it almost seems that The US kids get complacent and don't seem to take advantage of these. I know my American born and raised kids are not.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Insteady of worrying about that sh-t, you should sell your fancy SUV to put your daughter in the DR in to the best private school available insteady of letting your hard working mommy pay for her to go to a lower level school. Man up.
How many time on this board you and your pals wrote something like" people here in Sanitago and SD have big SUV's better then people in America" remember that. Why is my SUV a problem now is it because of who I am or my race? My mother wanted to do that. I have no shame in my game I CAN'T afford her tution, 760USD a month then the annual fund 150USD, then after school care 350USD, but her mother pays that.
Do you have any idea how much money I have sent to my wife in DR since we have been together? No I didn't think so. Do you want to know what DESTROYS my budget every month? Let me give you a hint DR. Something always I mean always happens down there. I love my wife , and I never blame her or get upset because of her country overwhelming disregard for its citizens. The government of DR FAILED its people, a bunch of cheaters liars, and crooks.
DON'T ever tell me I need to sale something in my country to provide BASIC necessity. Paying for a CAR batteries to keep the food cold in nevera in 2012 ARE YOU SERIOUS. Then they pay MILLIONS for a pointless subway ARE YOU SERIOUS.
Why don't you take some of your buddies find a marker and write on a paper or board: What a CRUMMY government this is, legal system, public school system and economy. Now go protest in front of Leonal Crib. 250 dollars a month NOT week a month, and you writing about my SUV. Don't worry Bob I keep in clean.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I love dropping her off in my 2010 Cadillac Escalade, and when she stays over in my beautiful apartment

How do you have a vehicle worth more than where you live(unless it's leased too)?

My man!! I live in Los Mina is this what you want to hear or better I live in Guachupita.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I love LOVE taking my daughter here to her Catholic school with her cute uniform, that my mother pays the tution for THANKS MOM, and I love dropping her off in my 2010 Cadillac Escalade, and when she stays over in my beautiful apartment, and when I sit in her room or help her clean her room and look at all the pretty cloths and shoes her mother and I provided.

I'm sure she's lovely and you have every right to be proud!

Please help her with her homework and tell her how smart she is, challenge her, read with her, and ask about those grades. Talk about college and what she'd like to do. Drive the Escalade to the library, park, museum, and every event going on in the neighborhood. (She'll remember those things when she's grown, more than that beautiful apartment, and they'll help her become that well-rounded person she's meant to be.) Talk to her! Ask her questions.
(You probably do and have, but your post seems to focus on the material.)

When I taught Kindergarden the girls that had the biggest shock were the Mexican princesses (their term, not mine) who had a rude awakening when we didn't cater to them as Daddy had for the first 5 years of their life. They were usually smaller than their peers, cute, and dressed like dolls. Next hardest were the youngest boys from large families, who had their sisters to do everything for them.

They'd been getting by on cute for a long time, and they didn't understand needing to work for praise (as opposed to just getting it because of their looks.) They'd think that just being cute was enough, as that got them praise.

I understand how when you didn't have certain things growing up, it's important to you to provide those same things to your own children. I heard something a while back that I try to remember as a parent. Wish I could remember where to give credit where credit is due:

"Sometimes we're too busy trying to give our kids the things we didn't have, that we forget to give them the things we did." (family dinner, neighbors who knew what we were doing, discipline, time together, to name just a few.)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I guess I'll go there:

Tried to read over most of the thread. Didn't see anyone singing the praises of PUBLIC SCHOOLS in the DR, be it primary, high school or the UASD. :( Of course there are always exceptions and some downright inspirational folks who have made it far in life, and many people who go on to be happy and successful according to their own interests and definitions.

But do any expats willingly/knowingly send or passively allow their kids to go to public primary and high schools? It seems no Dominican with the remote possibility of scraping together a few thousand pesos a semester does.

Another point touched upon was the extremely high cost of sending kids to the "top" bilingual/U.S. certified schools (Carol Morgan and company), and thus only the rich have a fair chance at getting their kids a good education.

BUT one important thing to remember is that some expats can afford to send their children to THOSE schools because it is one the amazing perks of their jobs to have their children's education paid for at the "best" institutions as a work benefit. With the same logic that their housing is also covered for them to live in the nicest hoods and luxury towers in SD, the "quality" of education of their children must be "guaranteed" at a level similar to their home country. This would apply to *SOME* embassy employees and NGO and other international organism workers that are non-residents of the country. I don't know about the private sector. But know that there are international aid and development organizations whose overhead is through the roof because Carol Morgan and company is not cheap (among other reasons). And the tuition for one employee's children for a year is more than the total annual salary of a dozen Dominican national employees that work for the same organization (who are obliged to send their kids to public schools, or lower level private ones). Ouch.

Maybe some people didn't know that and will be angry about their donations or tax dollars being spent that way, I don't know. One one hand, some believe it's "necessary" to attract the most "qualified" international candidates; but at the same time, makes you wonder if investing so much their benefits is really worth it...are there surely not some Dominicans that could do the job just as well? (the counter argument) Or a better way to invest the money? Do the math...a five year stint times two kids times the annual cost per kid at one of those private schools...how many schools could you build for Dominican kids with that?

I don't have any kids, but if/when that occurs I personally hope that I have one of those jobs with similar benefits if living in a "developing" country! :eek: I would not send them to public schools or a poor quality private school when I have the means to provide them with a better education elsewhere. Yes, there are some good, more "affordable" private schools in bigger cities. But if it came down to not being able to find quality secular education, I would rather they go to a decent public school back in the U.S.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife has a number of children that have attended school in the USA, Spain, Canada, Germany, Italy attend her poor, cheap, small private school in Jarabacoa. Normally these children are behind in math. When my step-son arrived in Canada he was 9 years old and in grade five. He had no problem adjusting to Canadians schools ( three different provinces) and is now in his third year of a business management degree in Toronto. Many of his classmates from Jarabacoa are also finishing up their university degrees in the DR, USA, Argentina, Spain...etc. Many of those children attended the Catholic high school in Jarabacoa ( not expensive or excessively religious).

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't consider Carol Morgan the top school in DR.I would definitely consider it the most expensive in the DR with their astronomical tuition.Do you think your kids are going to meet,nice,humble Dominican kids with good family values and work ethics? I don't think so.Its all what you want to get out of the school for your kid and what environment you feel suits your child better.I was not impressed with their curriculum,I will definitely choose New horizons bilingual or St George.Walk by some elementary public schools in Whitestone,,where all you see are luxury suvs lined up to pick up the kids even though they leave within walking distance from the school,and the school staff are tan nariz parriba that can't even show common courtesy and fake smile at least..lol.Why would any parent want their preschool age children grow up in that environment? I know I wouldn't.Sure,with a N.Y. salary,you can probably wedge yourself between the "elite" and upper middle,but how do you get the "Dominican experience then"?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"JMB",you right Bro,we jus can't stands to see a Brutha wit a good ride!
Is the "Race Card",the only one in your "deck"!
We try not to play that "game" here.It's just too old and boring!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Minerva; As you say, Dominicans invest a great deal of effort and money and take personal responsibility in the education of their their children.. and it shows, instead of dumping them at the government/public expense and expect every body else to pay for it. That is why there are so many good schools in D.R. at all different price levels and of course we need the public schools for the ones that can not afford it. I could never understand why in the U.S. well off people saddle local communities with the huge expense of their children's schooling. Any way...just my thoughts and keeping it on topic of D.R. and education not caddies or bbq. ribs

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Minerva; As you say, Dominicans invest a great deal of effort and money and take personal responsibility in the education of their their children.. and it shows, instead of dumping them at the government/public expense and expect every body else to pay for it. That is why there are so many good schools in D.R. at all different price levels and of course we need the public schools for the ones that can not afford it. I could never understand why in the U.S. well off people saddle local communities with the huge expense of their children's schooling. Any way...just my thoughts and keeping it on topic of D.R. and education not caddies or bbq. ribs

I think that in the U.S. if your kids attend private schools for a certain period of their education prior to seeking college, the state/gov will not offer them the same grants/loan facilities to enter the college of their choice? Something about financial aid and stuff...

I find private schools in the DR rather efficient and precise to what's the presently higher education field/professional offer demand out there. Once companies make an honest effort to woe the best of the flock, more institutions will seek competition and real research and development labs into their system. For now they need little to compete other than price and facilities...

Private/public schools churn out what the higher education centers accept, if the bar is raised the quality will also go up in both instances.

Carol Morgan is far from the best school in the DR! So too Horizons... They are the best at what they do IF you want an English education par to what they get in the USA for the kids. Now, that's not to say par to a private school in the US, but a well handled public one...

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I do not feel that the us educational system is so much better than the Dr. educational system in my opinion. My daughter for example, attends a good public school right now in florida and I am very happy with her education and her academic progress so far. However, she is still in elementry school, but I have already made plans to put her in a private middle school and from there on-after I have plans she will go to a private high school and then I hope she will attend a good private college or university in the us.

Even the us with all it's resources, I consider the public schools in the us not the best place for your children to obtain the best education possible and acheive there highest academic success. Even though you can make it in us public schools and acheive success, but as a caring and concerned parent that I am, if I have the resources or I just want to sacrfice myself at of love for my child. I would like my daughter to receive the best education concievably possible if I can help it and that will not be in a us public school.

I am amazed how many people here hold the us education system in such high honors. As we are all probably aware of already that the us education system. Especialy, the public schools are full of problems and the education is not par with the private schools. There is even the possability of school violence and some children even use drugs in school or have been victims of violence and bullying and in some cases there are even organized teenage gangs that operate in some us public school system and to a less degree in private schools. The us public educational system is full of flaws and needs to be improved.

I think that a good private bilingual school in the Dr. with a good program similar to the us and with the options to do higher education in the us if desired. Is the best scenario for an expat or dominican child, and I do not see any major drawback for educating your children in the dr if you have some resources and its all going to boil down to the family values in-placed on the child at an early age at home as well as a good role model in their life that they can look up to and a good loving stable home with good loving parents. That will ultimately determine the sucess of the child success regardless of the location or country you choose to live.

Last edited: