Why Dominicans are hated by Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nyeden said:
I agree with you Larry.. Now that I've read most of this post. and as A Dominican myself even though I was born & raised in NY. I am sometimes ashamed of what I see of the youngsters in Washington Heights. I think the problem is with the youth as they reach adolescences and their teen years. It is the choices they make that influence them you wear the baggy clothes. etc, etc.. I don't mean to sound racist but I will be sincere .. the problem is that the Dominican youth copy or will often imitate the lives of the some African American "ghetto" life. I think until they think more like the " white man" they will be more successful in school, career goals. etc.. I just want to see Us the Dominican really become more successful in our lives. Only then will we be highly looked upon. I just hate what youth in places like Washington heights are being influenced by? I apologize if I offended some with my sincerity .
There are many many successful Dominicans.

Leave New York City for a while.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
Why Dominicans are hated by Americans? Americans hate us because of our freedom.... because of our way of life. Then why do Americans leave their godforsaken country to live in this branch of heaven?...

The question should be: Do most Americans know a Dominican? Do most Americans know that a country named Dominican Republic exists?

I would think not.

-NALs

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
NALs said:
There are many many successful Dominicans.

Leave New York City for a while.

-NALs

I didn't say there weren't any... ofcourse without mentioning the Baseball players....

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Nals-

This information about Quebec today is not entirely true. You must be careful when you post information about a country you don't live in especially when there are many Canadians on the board who can easily challenge what you say. Having been raised in Quebec I can tell you that Quebec lost its economic power due to the political climate of the province.

Yes, Montreal and the province of Quebec are a vital part of Canada and was once the strongest economic engine of the country but this is no longer the case. Most big businesses began their migration to Toronto in the eighties due to politics and it took almost two decades for Toronto to become what it is today the financial center of Canada. Actually, the two provinces that are strongest $$ wise today are: Ontario (Ontario has the financing) and Alberta (Alberta has the oil). These two provinces are what's holding all of Canada together. Quebec is in debt. It's a fact. There was a mini renaissance period a few years ago and many Torontonians who were ex-Montrealers moved back but Montreal is going down again and it's very sad to see but the political climate dictates the economic climate of the province.

I sent you a PM because your post is not correct.

-LDG.

NALs said:
Yes indeed, Quebecois are very serious about their separation from the rest of Canada.

In fact, the primary reason why Quebec is still part of Canada is due to the fact that Quebec is where the most industrialized and economic activity of that country occurs, the only exception outside of Quebec province being Ontario, mostly due to Toronto, it's suburbs and it's relation to the Great Lakes Megalopolis in the United States side of the border.

It appears that Quebec can survive without Canada, but Canada can't survive without Quebec.

At least, that's what I have been told.

-NALs

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
NALs said:
Yes indeed, Quebecois are very serious about their separation from the rest of Canada.

In fact, the primary reason why Quebec is still part of Canada is due to the fact that Quebec is where the most industrialized and economic activity of that country occurs, the only exception outside of Quebec province being Ontario, mostly due to Toronto, it's suburbs and it's relation to the Great Lakes Megalopolis in the United States side of the border.

It appears that Quebec can survive without Canada, but Canada can't survive without Quebec.

At least, that's what I have been told.

-NALs

YOU MUST HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE QUEBEC PROPAGANDA POLICE. Canada is a big country with economic riches throughout. BC and Alberta could go it alone but Quebec, not without Labrador and native hydro. You really don't have a clue about Canada, and since you are a stats guy: BC and Alberta have combined population of approximately 8 million, roughly Quebec's population, their combined GDP for 2005 is approx 380 Billion dollars, where as Quebec's is about 274 Billion dollars, Ontario with about 14 million people 2005 GDP is about $540 billion dollars. Quebec sucks about 5 billion more from the fedreal government that the rest of the provinces.

My wife has many sucessful relatives both in the USA and the DR. She has an aunt that is a Doctor in Texas, a cousin that own a construction company in Virginia, another that is a oil engineer in Houstin...etc. They all speak excellent English and are assimulated into their communities. They also are pround to be Dominicans as well as Americans.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lesley D said:
This information about Quebec today is not entirely true. You must be careful when you post information about a country you don't live in especially when there are many Canadians on the board who can easily challenge what you say. Having been raised in Quebec I can tell you that Quebec lost its economic power due to the political climate of the province.

Yes, Montreal and the province of Quebec are a vital part of Canada and was once the strongest economic engine of the country but this is no longer the case. Most big businesses began their migration to Toronto in the eighties due to politics and it took almost two decades for Toronto to become what it is today the financial center of Canada. Actually, the two provinces that are strongest $$ wise today are: Ontario (Ontario has the financing) and Alberta (Alberta has the oil). These two provinces are what's holding all of Canada together. Quebec is in debt. It's a fact. There was a mini renaissance period a few years ago and many Torontonians who were ex-Montrealers moved back but Montreal is going down again and it's very sad to see but the political climate dictates the economic climate of the province.

I sent you a PM because your post is not correct.

-LDG.
I was not sure if it was truly correct or not, for that reason I ended my post with "that's what I have been told" precisely because it was something I "learned" through word of mouth.

In any case, thanks for the correct information! ;)

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bob saunders said:
YOU MUST HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE QUEBEC PROPAGANDA POLICE.
Maybe. :cheeky:

bob saunders said:
You really don't have a clue about Canada
I have a "clue" about Canada.

However, my knowledge of the Quebec/rest of Canada rift, if you will, was based on what I was told by a Canadian couple I happen to know.

They are from Montreal, so maybe that has something to do with it.

bob saunders said:
BC and Alberta have combined population of approximately 8 million, roughly Quebec's population, their combined GDP for 2005 is approx 380 Billion dollars, where as Quebec's is about 274 Billion dollars, Ontario with about 14 million people 2005 GDP is about $540 billion dollars. Quebec sucks about 5 billion more from the fedreal government that the rest of the provinces.
Interesting.

-NALs

Kiki

Jan 7, 2006
Nyeden said:
"The Asians particularly Filipinos get unfair treatment from Americans (white) so it is also possible that Dominicans get that kind of treatment."

Kerby, quick note F.Y.I .. Filipinos are not considered Asians.
They are considered Pacific Islanders... My brother's girlfriend who is a from the Filipines confirmed that..

Sorry but I have to do this "Filipines" is spelt"Philippines".

I am Filipina and I consider myself Asian

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
the hated dominicans

1. Dominicans speak a funny language.
2. Dominicans eat funny food.
3. Dominicans have funny weather.
4. Dominicans have funny customs.
5. Dominicans are funny-looking.
6. Dominicans worry about our opinion of them.
7. Dominica is a funny island.

What?... Oh... Sorry... Never mind.:glasses:

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The individual who is of that country is correcting you... I know it's difficult, but I suggest you take it humbly. Apparently, when referreing to the country it's spelled with a Ph-, and when referring to individuals from that country an F- ending in @ is used as appropriate...

Check in a dictionary near you. The person is correct.

Something announced in the NY Times yesterday:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/w...ml?ex=1148702400&en=d58521f1f9594fb2&ei=5087

"The Filipino people will suffer because the U.S. will get all our trained nurses," said George Cordero, president of the Philippine Nurse Association. "But what can we do?"

While the NYT is not always on point in it's data it's fairly reliable on its grammar.

Nyeden said:
It can be spelled both ways..

Last edited:

latina16

Mar 1, 2006
El_cubano said:
After seen the way many US dominicans behave i can't blame them. They have nothing to do with dominicans back at home. It's funny, but i've always found white americans to be nicer and behave better than blacks (i don't use that african-american bs).

what do you mean by "behave better" I can't believe you just said that...why are you generalizing all black people like that? that is my problem with cubans (no ofense i have cuban relatives).... Most of the cubans I've met have a racist views towards blacks... I mean give it up 61% of your people are black/mixed...:surprised :paranoid: :tired:

latina16

Mar 1, 2006
ze pequeno said:
Whoa! some sweeping generalizations and stereotyes here. Doesn't it make more sense to judge people on an individual basis?

ze

i agree with you 100%

latina16

Mar 1, 2006
Larry said:
Many NY'ers associate Dominicans with kind of an uptown ghetto culture. They feel that Washington Heights is a drug haven and that is considered to be "the" Dominican community.

When I was waiting for my flight at JFK the other day, the scene was a typical one. About 85% of the Dominicans waiting to board the plane were well dressed, respectable looking people. The other 15% or so wore baggy clothes, crooked baseball caps, huge gold chains, etc. This small percentage were making all the noise. They were acting like idiots and you could see how the rest of the Dominican people looked upon these hip hop types with disdain.

Unfortunately, this small percentage is what is most visable to most New Yorkers and gives Dominicans in NY a bad name.

Larry

what is so wrong with having a little fun... life is way too short to care about what other people think... I dont see a problem with wearing gold chains and baggy clothes or crooked baseball caps... you sir are way too uptight... And since everyones generalizing l'll go ahead an say that white people take things too seriously... they are always conforming to societys views... the only way the can have fun at parties is by getting drunk...

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The "purpose" of having fun is to divorce oneself from the immediate reality of life and enter into a world of make-believe.
Some can do that unobtrusively and without intruding into the social territory of others. Others must do so in a boistrous manner and thereby interrupt the tranquility of others.
Which group would YOU rather be a part of??
As to the style of ones clothing, such is an expression of social status (or, desired status) and is indicative of social awareness and compliance with society's rules regarding such matters. To do otherwise is merely an attention getting devise designed to offset a feeling of negative self worth.
After all, one must be "different", mustn't one??

Darn-- That's sure condescending enough, don't you think///

Texas Bill

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
latina16 said:
Most of the cubans I've met have a racist views towards blacks...
You generalize Cubans like that?

Why are your generalizations more PC than someone elses?

And I agree with Texas Bill:

As to the style of ones clothing, such is an expression of social status (or, desired status) and is indicative of social awareness and compliance with society's rules regarding such matters. To do otherwise is merely an attention getting devise designed to offset a feeling of negative self worth.
After all, one must be "different", mustn't one??

From my perch, the Hip-Hoppers are trying to make a statement. But, hey, if that stuff floats yer boat, go for it. I personally prefer youngsters who turn their hats around, pull their britches up, cut their hair, speak proper Spanish/English, are polite and respectful, and have a job...but I'm a WASP, so what would you expect?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
cobraboy said:
From my perch, the Hip-Hoppers are trying to make a statement. But, hey, if that stuff floats yer boat, go for it. I personally prefer youngsters who turn their hats around, pull their britches up, cut their hair, speak proper Spanish/English, are polite and respectful, and have a job...
The issue with the Hip-Hoppers begins with those in their late 20s and in their 30s.

After a certain age, it simply begins to look silly. It looks ok on teenagers since we all know teens tend to be rebellious and go against the current so to speak.

But, after a while some people need to learn to grow out of it and move on.

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This THREAD Proves ONLY One Thing!

That the "Dominicans Abroad Forum" has no Moderator!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a waste of Time,Energy,and "Band Width"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cuban are "Better Than" Dominicans Everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.