Why Dominicans are hated by Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NALs said:
The issue with the Hip-Hoppers begins with those in their late 20s and in their 30s.

After a certain age, it simply begins to look silly. It looks ok on teenagers since we all know teens tend to be rebellious and go against the current so to speak.

But, after a while some people need to learn to grow out of it and move on.

NALs
Actually, one of the reasons I quit wearing comfortable hiking/cargo shorts while in the DR (fairly standard outdoor dress here in FL) was because all the Hip-Hopper gangsta thug wannabe's with the big "gold by the inch" chains and medallions and Yankee hat worn sideways on the head...worn by a 30-40 y.o.

THEY look silly, and I didn't want to look silly...

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
latina16 said:
what is so wrong with having a little fun... life is way too short to care about what other people think... I dont see a problem with wearing gold chains and baggy clothes or crooked baseball caps... you sir are way too uptight... And since everyones generalizing l'll go ahead an say that white people take things too seriously... they are always conforming to societys views... the only way the can have fun at parties is by getting drunk...

It's obvious that many people are offended or even feel threatened by Black American culture. Instead of trying to embrace it, they see it as the enemy. Many of these people tend to forget that most Dominicans have African ancestry just like Black Americans, so at times tend to act the same way.

Not saying that black Americans and Dominicans are exactly the same(NOT AT ALL), but come on, we have many similarities that are undeniable!

Someone commented about how the Dominican American youth needs to think more like the "white man."

I'm sorry, but I don't see how being white is ALWAYS synonymous with being successful. Yes, they have most of the wealth and power BUT,Here in Maryland there are plenty of poor white folk just trying to survive. Here in America, I think that any person who works hard and learns the LANGUAGE can attain success not matter the color. Being of the status quo is always an advantage, but it isn't the sole indicator for success.

This ignorant statement then assumes that all black Americans are ghetto and live in the "hood" with no asperations for a better life. Once again, this a stereotype. All black Americans don't live in the ghetto, and many more up and coming blacks(and Dominicans) are moving into the suburbs, getting better housing, getting businesses and jobs with LIVABLE paying wages, and most importantly, they are MAINTAINING these neighborhoods and yes, the children can speak standard English too.

If you don't believe me then just come on down to PG county, and Silver Spring,Maryland. Even more Dominicans are starting to trickle on down here to get away from the hustle and bustle of NYC.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Safado said:
It's obvious that many people are offended or even feel threatened by Black American culture. Instead of trying to embrace it, they see it as the enemy. Many of these people tend to forget that most Dominicans have African ancestry just like Black Americans, so at times tend to act the same way.
The difference between Dominican culture (including dark Dominicans and Haitians), and American Urban Black culture are immense, IMO. Heck, the difference between American Rural Black culture and AUB culture are immense.

AUB's in the DR, through my eyes, stick out like the proverbial sore thumbs. Beyond skin color, I don't see much commonality. I don't find darker Dominicans with chips on their shoulder toward me, the white guy. I'm just a friendly American to them, prolly more firendly that the AUB's they come across.

To say that people are offended or feel threatened by Black American culture is rubbish. Differences exist, yes. But because I don't "embrace" it, does NOT mean I see it as the enemy. Nor should AUB's feel I'm THEIR enemy because they don't embrace my Northern European ancestry.

One usually finds what one seeks. if one searches for things that offend them, they will find them. When your only tool is a hammer, everything prety much looks like a nail.

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
Whooa there.....painting everything with the same brush!

cobraboy said:
The difference between Dominican culture (including dark Dominicans and Haitians), and American Urban Black culture are immense, IMO. Heck, the difference between American Rural Black culture and AUB culture are immense.

AUB's in the DR, through my eyes, stick out like the proverbial sore thumbs. Beyond skin color, I don't see much commonality. I don't find darker Dominicans with chips on their shoulder toward me, the white guy. I'm just a friendly American to them, prolly more firendly that the AUB's they come across.

To say that people are offended or feel threatened by Black American culture is rubbish. Differences exist, yes. But because I don't "embrace" it, does NOT mean I see it as the enemy. Nor should AUB's feel I'm THEIR enemy because they don't embrace my Northern European ancestry.

One usually finds what one seeks. if one searches for things that offend them, they will find them. When your only tool is a hammer, everything prety much looks like a nail.

In your posting, you only prove my point.

You automatically assume that all blacks Americans have a chip on thier shoulder against white Americans. This would be the same as me saying that all Americans whites are racists. This is generalizing.

You know that none of this is true.

No, you don't have to embrace black American culture, but surely it doesn't need to be shunned or hated because you don't embrace it and vice versa. We can learn to accept each other's differences.

Americans blacks may stick out like a "sore thumb" in your opinion, but thats all it is, just an opinion. To try to distance American blacks from Dominicans is just a devisive tool. I never said that we're the same and I'll say it again.

I have noticed that many people hate American blacks but will freely associate with Dominicans that look exactly the same way(i.e. skin and hair texture). I find this phenomenon amazing. Also, it's a fact that many(not all) urban Dominican American youth take more to black Urban culture than others. This is an undeniable fact.........

It seems to bother you that I link American blacks and Dominicans in any way. Before all of the naysayers start flaming away. I know too many black American/Dominican couples that are doing greattogether w/kids and all.

Also, in the DR......I blend in baby. It's cool to go somewhere and be part of the majority population. Most people don't know I'm not Dominican until after they talk to me for a few minutes. I've had German and Canadian tourist women try to pick up on me because they think I'm a Dominican chulo.

But at the same time, I know that I'm not Dominican nor will I ever be. I know that I'll always speak Spanish with an accent because I'm not from there. I'll still be looked at as being wealthy simply because I'm from the USA, just like any other gringo.

It is true that many black tourist in the DR do stick out though due to thier cadence or form of dress, but as they say there :tudo no es igual....

They don't know I'm USA until I talk, unless I'm in a VERY touristy place like Sosua..

Some other ethnic guys such as AZB etc. look like they blend into the local population pretty well also(note that AZB isn't even black, but it only shows the diversity of the Dominican population).

Anyway, I like the DR for thier friendliness towards all people no matter thier race.

happy travels!

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Safado said:
In your posting, you only prove my point.

You automatically assume that all blacks Americans have a chip on thier shoulder against white Americans. This would be the same as me saying that all Americans whites are racists. This is generalizing.

You know that none of this is true.

No, you don't have to embrace black American culture, but surely it doesn't need to be shunned or hated because you don't embrace it and vice versa. We can learn to accept each other's differences.

Americans blacks may stick out like a "sore thumb" in your opinion, but thats all it is, just an opinion. To try to distance American blacks from Dominicans is just a devisive tool. I never said that we're the same and I'll say it again.

I have noticed that many people hate American blacks but will freely associate with Dominicans that look exactly the same way(i.e. skin and hair texture). I find this phenomenon amazing. Also, it's a fact that many(not all) urban Dominican American youth take more to black Urban culture than others. This is an undeniable fact.........

It seems to bother you that I link American blacks and Dominicans in any way. Before all of the naysayers start flaming away. I know too many black American/Dominican couples that are doing greattogether w/kids and all.

Also, in the DR......I blend in baby. It's cool to go somewhere and be part of the majority population. Most people don't know I'm not Dominican until after they talk to me for a few minutes. I've had German and Canadian tourist women try to pick up on me because they think I'm a Dominican chulo.

But at the same time, I know that I'm not Dominican nor will I ever be. I know that I'll always speak Spanish with an accent because I'm not from there. I'll still be looked at as being wealthy simply because I'm from the USA, just like any other gringo.

It is true that many black tourist in the DR do stick out though due to thier cadence or form of dress, but as they say there :tudo no es igual....

They don't know I'm USA until I talk, unless I'm in a VERY touristy place like Sosua..

Some other ethnic guys such as AZB etc. look like they blend into the local population pretty well also(note that AZB isn't even black, but it only shows the diversity of the Dominican population).

Anyway, I like the DR for thier friendliness towards all people no matter thier race.

happy travels!
You do quite well with that broad brush yourself. Quite the artist.

Like I said, you find what you seek. If you see everything through "ethnic" eyes, you will see ethnicity.

Who said anything about "shunning or hating" black American culture? My fathers business, all during the tulmultous 50's and 60's was only 2 blocks away from Ebeneezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. What do you think that means?

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
cobraboy said:
You do quite well with that broad brush yourself. Quite the artist.

Like I said, you find what you seek. If you see everything through "ethnic" eyes, you will see ethnicity.

Who said anything about "shunning or hating" black American culture? My fathers business, all during the tulmultous 50's and 60's was only 2 blocks away from Ebeneezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. What do you think that means?

"Who said anything about "shunning or hating" black American culture?"

Well Cobraboy,

If you've read the whole thread you'll see a few comments about the degenerative black American culture and how it negatively influences Dominicans in the USA. My comment wasn't directed at you personally.

Please tell me how I'm painting with a broad brush. Did you even read my reply above????????????????????????????????? Most people have a clean slate with me until they prove otherwise. Doesn't matter what they are.......

As far as seeing things through "ethnic eyes" I think that any group(or race) of people are guilty of this.

Nonetheless, I'm only here to read or learn about the happenings of things related to the DR. I'm not here to debate U.S. racial tensions/history(which why I like to travel to other places to escape it). In the USA we are a nation that is PREOCCUPIED with race. Until everybody admits this,we'll still have a long way to progress.

Don't take anything I say as a personal attack. This isn't my purpose at all.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Safado said:
Got that right :tired:

Don't waste your time here. The same people that incessantly preach about people having "chips on their shoulders" and "playing the race card", don't know what it even means--its simply a catch phrase devised by the same people who defer to the myth of racial tranquility and "color-blindness" in the US. You cannot have a chip on your shoulder for a "phenomenon" that has a personal, and more importantly, a documented, historical legacy.

As for urban dress.......i have taken snippets from it and incorporated into my daily dress; however, i must admit i am not a fan of the quote, unquote, hardcore "thug" look if that's what we want to call it. But I have my reasons. All too often urban dress has taken, adopted, and inadvertenly celebrated prison life......the sagging pants, shoes without laces ( I could go on), all adopted from a subversive prison culture.

But i must admit on my travels to the DR urban dress seems pretty benign. Unfortunately, in a country as classist as the DR, the urban look is shunned by the upper class--no, instead the "emasculation" of the Dominican man is celebrated--arched eyebrows, skin tight jeans, hard-sole shoes seem to be preferred(althought that's not set in stone). I wonder why no one has made a big fuss about that? It's also interesting to note how often the upper-classes dictate what is considered "normal" or "mainstream" dress in society.

All this for a thread that i thought was silly.....shame on me. good night all.

P.S. maybe we should all be nudists.

Last edited:

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
Exxtol said:
Don't waste your time here. The same people that incessantly preach about people having "chips on their shoulders" and "playing the race card", don't know what it even means--its simply a catch phrase devised by the same people who defer to the myth of racial tranquility and "color-blindness" in the US. You cannot have a chip on your shoulder for a "phenomenon" that has a personal, and more importantly, a documented, historical legacy.

As for urban dress.......i have taken snippets from it and incorporated into my daily dress; however, i must admit i am not a fan of the quote, unquote, hardcore "thug" look if that's what we want to call it. But I have my reasons. All too often urban dress has taken, adopted, and inadvertenly celebrated prison life......the sagging pants, shoes without laces ( I could go on), all adopted from a subversive prison culture.

But i must admit on my travels to the DR urban dress seems pretty benign. Unfortunately, in a country as classist as the DR, the urban look is shunned by the upper class--no, instead the "emasculation" of the Dominican man is celebrated--arched eyebrows, skin tight jeans, hard-sole shoes seem to be preferred(althought that's not set in stone). I wonder why no one has made a big fuss about that? It's also interesting to note how often the upper-classes dictate what is considered "normal" or "mainstream" dress in society.

All this for a thread that i thought was silly.....shame on me. good night all.

P.S. maybe we should all be nudists.

Exxtol,

As of now, you are a hero of mine!!!! :cheeky:

You've said it in your post. Unforuntately a colorblind society doesn't exist especially when I can remember being a kid in the 80's where I couldn't play with certain kids nor go to certain peoples houses because of my color(my grandparents were the only negroes on the block at that time). Whenever someone mentions these injustices and other racism it's called "having a chip on one's shoulder." It's amazing.

I'm not racist towards anyone, but I've surely experienced it, and in this country(U.S.) it has a long lasting legacy that won't go away overnight.

As for the clothes. I like the baggy jeans, and the urban look. Frankly I feel more comfortable and I'm just being me. This doesn't equate to looking like a "thug."I actually wear my pants on my ass, and I'm not down with the sagging thing.

Get a tight haircut and shape up at the peliquero(sp.)/Barbero and I'm ready to go. At the Dominican barber shops they cut hair and give shape-ups(outlines) just as good if not better than U.S. inner city barbers!

In the DR in general, it's(urban style) not looked upon as being a strange way of dress. Many Dominican guys dress similarly. But with the upper class thier style is different,but in no way am I going to fall in line with that style of dress(tight jeans etc.)

Yes, these styles developed in jail, but it's become so mainstream now that it won't go away anytime soon. For myself personally....I can't imagine wearing a pair of tight assed jeans, let alone some lizard skinned hard bottom shoes to go with it. Looks like a fag outfit to me.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I saw it yesterday!!!!

Please don't discount the posters saying that the Americans hate Dominicans. I saw it first hand yesterday at Kennedy airport and it made me so mad. The immigrations officer was treating the domincans like crap. Truly humiliating them. he was screaming at them and telling them that they need to speak English if they are in this country. To one lady he said you have been here at years, leave if you cant learn our language. One lady asked a 20 year oldish dominican boy if he could translate for her because she didnt understand english. After he was done being harassed and then cleared, he asked the guy in English if he could help the woman that was behind him. (he didnt know her but was a kind fellow as most domincans are) The immigration guy said no way. She is here. if she doesnt speak her language she can go back. One guy he kept telling to stop messing with me. i know you know english. When the guy said no english he called him a liar and was screaming at him. When I went through with my daughter, he was sweet as sugar to us. I couldnt believe it.!I went up to one of the domincans that had been abused and sad in spanish, please forgive me for my country. Everybody at STI was so nice to us, polite and kind and wanting to help. Carts are free. In JFK you pay 3 dollars for a cart and are treated like an animal. I am so embarassed. No wonder they dont let cameras into the customs area!!!Is there any way I can report tha agent? I got his name.I would want to be anonomous since I travel alot and don't want to be tagged on their system as the whistle blower. What nerve!!!!!!
ps-if you agree with the learning english philososphy that is fine but no matter what that is no way to treat people@!!!!!
Stevi

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
sbsuib said:
Please don't discount the posters saying that the Americans hate Dominicans. I saw it first hand yesterday at Kennedy airport and it made me so mad. The immigrations officer was treating the domincans like crap. Truly humiliating them. he was screaming at them and telling them that they need to speak English if they are in this country. To one lady he said you have been here at years, leave if you cant learn our language. One lady asked a 20 year oldish dominican boy if he could translate for her because she didnt understand english. After he was done being harassed and then cleared, he asked the guy in English if he could help the woman that was behind him. (he didnt know her but was a kind fellow as most domincans are) The immigration guy said no way. She is here. if she doesnt speak her language she can go back. One guy he kept telling to stop messing with me. i know you know english. When the guy said no english he called him a liar and was screaming at him. When I went through with my daughter, he was sweet as sugar to us. I couldnt believe it.!I went up to one of the domincans that had been abused and sad in spanish, please forgive me for my country. Everybody at STI was so nice to us, polite and kind and wanting to help. Carts are free. In JFK you pay 3 dollars for a cart and are treated like an animal. I am so embarassed. No wonder they dont let cameras into the customs area!!!Is there any way I can report tha agent? I got his name.I would want to be anonomous since I travel alot and don't want to be tagged on their system as the whistle blower. What nerve!!!!!!
ps-if you agree with the learning english philososphy that is fine but no matter what that is no way to treat people@!!!!!
Stevi

it's just typical American arrogance that you've witnessed.

Foreigner who come to the USA should try to learn English, god forbid I try living in the DR or Brazil without learning Spanish or Portuguese. Nonetheless, these xenophobic attitudes are becoming more prevalent. This still isn't a reason to mistreat people.

I'm glad that I wasn't in the customs line. Being a minority, I've had my run ins with these people on quite a few occasions. I hate to see others being mistreated......

On the flip side, it's funny when I go to places like Brazil and the locals automatically assume that I don't know any Portuguese whatsoever, and they therefore take an arrogant and nasty attitude similar to what the Dominicans experienced in the airport. It isn't always Americans who do this.....but it's just a scrwed up thing no matter what....

jchan1

Feb 17, 2004
This may seem like a mean spirited remark, but I promise it's not. MOST Americans have no idea what a Doimnican is. No kidding!

I am married to a Dominican man and we live in the US. When people inquire about our children and their "exotic looks" I respond that my hubby is Dominican.

You should see their eyes glaze over. NYers know Dominicans and a few other large cities, but most Americans can't find Cuba on a map, let alone understand differences in people from other countries or where they may be located.

My hubby has been called "boy" by people who think he's black and Dr. by people who think he's from India. (That was in a small town where there's a medical college.)

Before I met him, I didn't know much about Dominicans, though I at least knew the history of the island. I just didn't know any personally. I grew up in the southern US.

So anyway, to say Americans hate Dominicans is not true. They hate Muslims. :chinese:

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
customs at JFK

The customs officer at JFK who was mistreating the Dominicans, off a flight from Santiago DR knew that they were Dominica. His behavior was unacceptable and I am going to report his conduct to INS
Stevi

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I am re,inded of an incident---

In 1962, when arriving at an airbase in New Jersey from Germany.
The incident involved a Customs Agent on duty there.
We had arrived and departed the aircraft first (we were all on Emergency Leave and were afforded Priority in offloading). When we got to the Customs area we went immediately to the area nearest the exit expecting to have priority by the Customs authorities. No Way! The Agent immediately started his inspection with the first civilian below us. I informed him that we all were on Emergency Leave and requested that he handle the Enlisted Men first since they all had flights which they were booked on in a very short time. His resonse was that he "didn't take orders from Captains as to who he served first because he wasn't connected with the military in any way". Well, the Lady he was serving immediately backed away and said, "since I'm a Colonel's wife, perhaps you had better take care of others instead of me". The agent called for "Next" and NO-ONE MOVED! Fortunately, the agent's supervisor sawaand heard the whole thing, relieved the agent on the spot, apologized to everyone and served the men on Emergency Leave, then the remainder of the passengers from the MILITARY aircraft we were on.
When my family and I returned via the same POE 1-1/2 months later I was informed by that supervisor that the agent had been demoted and reassigned.
It can happen, so report the offender to the appropriate authorities.

Texas Bill

The word "re,inded" should be "reminded"

G

gary short

Snuffy said:
Oh Stevi, last time I went through JFK...I was pulled aside and treated like dirt also. I'm WASP. It can happen to anyone. There are just a bunch of bozos doing those jobs.

HEY.HEY...HEY...those bozos are minimum wage earners with minimum training.

D R HaTe Me

Oct 27, 2005
american-nationality
dominican-nationality

if americans really hated dominicans then it would probably be a war between the two nations.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
D R HaTe Me said:
american-nationality
dominican-nationality

if americans really hated dominicans then it would probably be a war between the two nations.

Dominican Republic will win hands down :p hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.