Why DR1, why????

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
is there a benefit to this facebook link thing- whats the griff ?

Yes, it brings traffic and eyeballs :)

DR1 will be a lot more tightly integrated into Facebook, Twitter etc in the next release of this message board. We have been testing this the past 6 months and it's fantastic and many, many users are using it to login to DR1 etc.

I have disabled it right now just for testing.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have been known to moan about my satellite internet connection at times (often!!) especially when it rains heavily as it just drops beyond the point of being able to connect to anything.

However, my computer automatically logs in to Google, Facebook, Wordscraper on Facebook and DR1 as I launch Google Chrome and I experience no speed issues whatsoever apart from some 'lag' when I also log into DR1 Chat every evening.

Btw, this gives me an opportunity to give the Chat Room a mention too - we have our little crew of 'regulars' but everyone is more than welcome to come and join into our friendly and sometimes slightly obscure banter, usually after about 9 pm (Dominican time of course)!! See ya there....

Reactions: rio2003

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I have been known to moan about my satellite internet connection at times (often!!) especially when it rains heavily as it just drops beyond the point of being able to connect to anything.

However, my computer automatically logs in to Google, Facebook, Wordscraper on Facebook and DR1 as I launch Google Chrome and I experience no speed issues whatsoever apart from some 'lag' when I also log into DR1 Chat every evening.

Btw, this gives me an opportunity to give the Chat Room a mention too - we have our little crew of 'regulars' but everyone is more than welcome to come and join into our friendly and sometimes slightly obscure banter, usually after about 9 pm (Dominican time of course)!! See ya there....

Damn...we really need two connections :pirate:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Robert, as its Friday evening I wish you a very nice weekend but you turned on the FB link again so the pages are coming on very slow.

Oh well...relax Acira, its Friday evening, it hasn't rained today, Ijust had a wonderful walk with the dogs and am now sniffing the chicken curry my hubbie is making...

I'll be back! :bunny:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, as its Friday evening I wish you a very nice weekend but you turned on the FB link again so the pages are coming on very slow.

Oh well...relax Acira, its Friday evening, it hasn't rained today, Ijust had a wonderful walk with the dogs and am now sniffing the chicken curry my hubbie is making...

I haven't turned Facebook back on, it's been disabled since around midday. Logout and check, you'll notice you will see no reference to Facebook when you login.

If DR1 is loading slow now, then it's your connection at fault.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Check your start menu and see what you have turned on. You may have subscribes to something that has a loop that sucks down memory and CPU capacity.

IMO, the social networking sites with games are computer vampires...

I suspect it's your connection. You guys have always had problems with it.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I haven't turned Facebook back on, it's been disabled since around midday. Logout and check, you'll notice you will see no reference to Facebook when you login.

If DR1 is loading slow now, then it's your connection at fault.

I think you got'em weeded out, Robert. All I could see now was waiting for dr1 and ONE very very fast something else I couldn't catch.

... J-D.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
No issues here what so ever, now, or earlier in the day, or weeks prior.
just logged out and in, all very speedy!...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The ogre who started this thread is back...

I just want to add a couple of points...

- the fact that you turned it of to test whether there was any truth in my experiences, and the fact that a lot of people reported huge improvements, should make us all think... In fact, mine improved a lot as well...
- as CB said correctly, we do have problems with banda ancha here (and Mike it is also a contract of 18 months, which I will be cancelling next week...), but now use a BB 3G as tethering modems wich normally gives us decent speeds... and DR1 and Facebook are the only sites we have problems with... The fact that decent still means only around 400 kbs, also means it will affect us more than you lucky bastards with mps...
- Robert, if you think you are only loading a tiny image from FB, ask some experts... these programs and links are far from harmless... and the fact that you mention you are going to integrate and collaborate even more with the next release, scares the hell out of me, to be honest... I like my computer and the data on it to remain private... and I like to chose the people who can find me on the internet...
- my dislike of FB is personal, although I realise it is a networking-program which is gaining a lot in popularity, and therefore can/could be beneficial to DR1

on the positive side...
- maybe DR1 can look into a way to integrate with FB, but still keep it completely seperate, or give people a choice... (in my opinion a dream, but let's be positive)
- I just heard today that orange 3G will be available in July or August, and will be offering speeds up to 14 mbs at a price of 2,200 rds for 4 comps...

and I hope a satisfactory solution regarding speed and safety can be found, so I, and a lot of other members, can keep on enjoying this great MB

BTW, Robert, thanks for the great effort and real concern you are putting into this...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I just want to add a couple of points...

- the fact that you turned it of to test whether there was any truth in my experiences, and the fact that a lot of people reported huge improvements, should make us all think... In fact, mine improved a lot as well...
- as CB said correctly, we do have problems with banda ancha here (and Mike it is also a contract of 18 months, which I will be cancelling next week...), but now use a BB 3G as tethering modems wich normally gives us decent speeds... and DR1 and Facebook are the only sites we have problems with... The fact that decent still means only around 400 kbs, also means it will affect us more than you lucky bastards with mps...
- Robert, if you think you are only loading a tiny image from FB, ask some experts... these programs and links are far from harmless... and the fact that you mention you are going to integrate and collaborate even more with the next release, scares the hell out of me, to be honest... I like my computer and the data on it to remain private... and I like to chose the people who can find me on the internet...
- my dislike of FB is personal, although I realise it is a networking-program which is gaining a lot in popularity, and therefore can/could be beneficial to DR1

on the positive side...
- maybe DR1 can look into a way to integrate with FB, but still keep it completely seperate, or give people a choice... (in my opinion a dream, but let's be positive)
- I just heard today that orange 3G will be available in July or August, and will be offering speeds up to 14 mbs at a price of 2,200 rds for 4 comps...

and I hope a satisfactory solution regarding speed and safety can be found, so I, and a lot of other members, can keep on enjoying this great MB

BTW, Robert, thanks for the great effort and real concern you are putting into this...

BelgianK,
I have absolutely no doubt about Robert's best will to not harm any,
such would be completely out of question for me knowin him and others involved in the making of this bord, in person and in a nice way.
My own concern,
and like I stated before on this topic I have no speed prob with my 3G stick, is the implantation of Data and cookies on my 'puter without my prior approval.
it is MY darn computer,
and I decide without anyone else's allowance when and how I want to harm or destroy it, and the latter I did more than once, by taking risks I knew about.
the point is that connected sites/softwares like FB plant their stuff on our machine without asking any permission first, I had last summer and again last fall trouble on such with FB which is the reason why I will avoid them for any price.
those sites give us their lil implanations to gather Intel about our webbrowsing/find out what pages we like to visit/the way we surf the Net/what brand of coffe we prefer in the morning etc etc,
and that is something I personally completely hate.

for that sole reason that I want to be asked first before anybody 'remotely checks my computer and leaves his lil programs here without my permission', for that I would appreciate that a bord/website where I am a regular since years, informs me about connections to other sites BEFORE they are connected,
so I can decide myself to accept such or to leave and stay by my own lil standards SAVE.
Facebook and a good number of chitting/chatting/connecting sites are websites I do not want to be connected to, not even for the simple check IF there is a Foto of myself available on FB, because even that simple thingy is a connection and to do that lil check FB is leaving a program/software on my computer.

let's discuss that to me important theme in the right manner,
and let's call in some Pro's who know about that stuff,
to solve it in a way where my computer and my privacy stay where I want to have them, and that's far away from any FB or oher Data gathering site.

Mike

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Facebook doesn't have anything to do with the slowness of the site. I can't go into details now as I'm at work but I'll explain later. Belgiank, please try to connect to DR1 from a hotspot (dunno about that in Jarabacoa lol) instead from your banda ancha Internet and post the results back if you could. I suspect this is Banda Ancha or Laptop related.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
well, if FB is still off on DR1, then it works... because I have no trouble loading pages at all with my BB as modem...

and yesss... although I have not met Robert personally, I'm equally sure he is and will be making every effort to make DR1 fast and safe...

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's easy to tell if facebook has been linked with DR1. Look for a blue button with the lowercase letter "f" in the centre of the button at the top of the forum pages and/or also in the Bookmarks section at the bottom of the forum pages.

:classic: mob

ps. as a Torontonian, the number of rep points lambada makes me want to :cry:.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's easy to tell if facebook has been linked with DR1. Look for a blue button with the lowercase letter "f" in the centre of the button at the top of the forum pages and/or also in the Bookmarks section at the bottom of the forum pages.

:classic: mob

It's not in bookmarks in this forum but it is showing up in General Forum, not in bookmarks but in first post in this thread for example
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/104090-laptop-keyboard-died.html#post868578

So I wondered if I was the only person receiving a split personality Facebook link :cheeky:? And since it isn't showing in bookmarks in General Forum, has it snuck back in to certain threads........?

Correction: it must be linked to new threads. It's showing up here too, in Living Forum, this thread
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/104101-i-shot-parrot.html

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Further correction: it's showing up in the first post of a number of threads, new or old alike, possibly all of them? Well, it's showing up for me. But not showing in bookmarks. Anyone else?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it doen't show up for me.
I logged in to the Bord this eve due a e-mail notification about a new post,
and I don't see it.
I hope that helps.
I did not log out and in again or such, just surving around by switching postings.
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm turning features on and off randomly. Why? Some people are experiencing page loading issues with and without Facebook. Right now we are at the placebo stage :)