Why I think I'll be leave the DR (2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
annac, right next to the pharmacy we had a set of colourful characters selling food...

at 5 am cholera would arrive. he had a name but i called him cholera because he stand was something from contagion movie. he could singlehandedly kill entire POP with just one meal. he made chuletas, pasta with some reddish sauce and boiled bananas. breakfast, in other words. if a chuleta fell on the ground he'd pick it up, wipe in his pants and drop it into boiling oil.pants looked like sleek black tubes, stiff from the dirt and oil... he'd sell out by 8 am thou.

in the early afternoon he was replaced by middle aged lady who'd fry slices of batatas and berenjena, served wrapped up in a napkin and dipped in ketchup. she'd sell out just in time for pollo man to arrive, who sold fried chicken with tostones and worked until 10 or 11 pm.

they all had lots of clients. and they all barely made a living.

Dominicans are such pros at this.. My chicken guy on Don Pedro in Santiago buys 200 whole chickens a day from Pollos Cibao.. I estimate he makes about 50 pesos per chicken sold, so that's 10k a day in profit.. He never has a penny to his name and looks like he's wearing the same clothes from 1980.

The truth is there is only two realities, he either spends all his money on booze/lotto, or he is building himself a mansion slowly and just telling everyone he doesn't make a time so they don't try to leech off of him all day. The trick to staying rich as a dominican is by trying to convince everyone you don't have anything so they don't come looking for you. There's a good that's dominican video on this somewhere, I usually don't agree with that'sdominican much because he only describes barrio mentality usually, but the dominican idea of hiding how well you are doing is spot on.

This is the reason people think doctors in the DR slave away for 20k pesos a month and drive a paid off 50k USD SUV.. LOL

May 29, 2006
Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from the Pacific Islands,

"The lobster that tries to climb out of the pot gets pulled back down by the others."

In other words, when you start to have success, your friends and family tend to drag you down. I've met numerous millionaires over the years who look like they barely clear 10K a year. Then you hear about their fishing trips down to FL and see what their kids are driving.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, sayanora, this is small fry people. literally :) they maybe make 10-25k a month after all the costs. it's enough to live on but not to build up the riches. the pollo guy probably does the best but he sells at low prices because it's a barrio after all. his cost are fairly low but he spends lots of time working: getting the chicken, hacking it up, seasoning and then standing outside for hours doing the sales.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Interesting posts here. There are Dominicans that flash and bling but don't really have anything, just stuff. Then you have ones who feel material things don't hold that much of importance or they don't have to broadcast it.

To each his own, just don't ask me for money. LOL

To the OP I thought you've been here more than 2 months?

The "OP" didn't do his "DR Homework" before he came here!
Just reading the DR1 "archives" would have given his some idea about all the negatives he listed about living here, and "Dominicanos/as.
I don't think he is "DR Material"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Anna, those people are "Surviving", not making a Living!
I doubt many Expats would be happy working/living like that!

I agree with you about him not being DR material but you thought that about me too and look at me!! Now I KNOW EVERYTHING and LOVE IT HERE!
I thought the OP was here for at least 8 months or something, the way he was talking. 2 months really is nothing, I didn't feel home here until a year and I still have no idea what is going on half the time!
I give anyone who can live here kudos bc this is not an easy place to live!

If I had to work like the hardcore peeps at Gorditos which I 100% respect I would be even less unhappy here. I was a workaholic in Vancouver but just would not be able to do it here, the heat absolutely kills me!

OP I don't think you have mentioned living in Sosua or Cabarete? Are you not interested in trying those places or just outside them? Where I live it is so quiet, no pollution and not a chaos orgy like POP and friggin beautiful!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings from the Pacific Islands,

"The lobster that tries to climb out of the pot gets pulled back down by the others."

In other words, when you start to have success, your friends and family tend to drag you down. I've met numerous millionaires over the years who look like they barely clear 10K a year. Then you hear about their fishing trips down to FL and see what their kids are driving.

We say crabs in a barrel! When one is close to getting out the other crabs try to clime over him to get out.

drescape24

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First, It's EASY to get a "Beautiful Dominican Bride" here, and in less than 2 months!!!!!!!
AND, in less than 2 months you will wish you hadn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Fried Food Is Safe Food"???????????????????
No WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It could have been "Fried" yesterday!
Ever wonder about those cold, hard,dry "Empanadas", or how many times they have been "re-fried"????
??????
Eat Bananas!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
no, sayanora, this is small fry people. literally :) they maybe make 10-25k a month after all the costs. it's enough to live on but not to build up the riches. the pollo guy probably does the best but he sells at low prices because it's a barrio after all. his cost are fairly low but he spends lots of time working: getting the chicken, hacking it up, seasoning and then standing outside for hours doing the sales.

I'd say 25k/mo for a Dominican guy without education is definitely success, all cash and no tax too. Smarter ones can do better and maybe make a franchise, like Latin Empanadas. Sure, the Gorditos people work hard and maybe it's not for everyone, but here is an example of a more balanced and, I think, successful restaurant business in Cabarete: Los Tres Cocos en Frente, on callejon de la loma, maybe 50 yards in. Owned and managed by a swiss family, mother and son, no employes at all. They are open 5 days a week (thu-mon), about 7 hours a day (11-6), so that's 35 hours a week only. Great food, great prices, great service. I don't think they are in it to make millions but they have steady clientele, steady income and lots of free time to do whatever else they want, like surfing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'd say 25k/mo for a Dominican guy without education is definitely success, all cash and no tax too.

seemingly. because you compare him to those making 10k a month. but consider this: he pays no taxes, he is not legally employed. he has no health insurance unless he is willing to pay full quote from his own pocket. so if he gets sick it's hospital publico or high rates in a private care. he has no assets on papers so no credits form the bank, he will use prestamistas and end up paying at least 100% more for each thing he purchases with financiamento. like many other folks he sees his future support in having many kids and he also helps out his own parents.

my guess is that i would live better life on this 25k than the polloman.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
annac, right next to the pharmacy we had a set of colourful characters selling food...

at 5 am cholera would arrive. he had a name but i called him cholera because he stand was something from contagion movie. he could singlehandedly kill entire POP with just one meal. he made chuletas, pasta with some reddish sauce and boiled bananas. breakfast, in other words. if a chuleta fell on the ground he'd pick it up, wipe in his pants and drop it into boiling oil.pants looked like sleek black tubes, stiff from the dirt and oil... he'd sell out by 8 am thou.

in the early afternoon he was replaced by middle aged lady who'd fry slices of batatas and berenjena, served wrapped up in a napkin and dipped in ketchup. she'd sell out just in time for pollo man to arrive, who sold fried chicken with tostones and worked until 10 or 11 pm.

they all had lots of clients. and they all barely made a living.

I don't eat "street food" Period. Wouldn't eat it here, wouldn't eat in Paris or New York either. Not too long ago I remember a DR1 poster not too long ago getting "cholera" from a food truck in Sosua.......

lando calrissian

Mar 10, 2014
2 months is nada, after 6 months of continuous presence then you can honestly say you gave it a real go. Plus if you really can't stand it, and want a beach. You have Puerto Rico in mind, old man Criss's homeland (take him with you, if you do decide to go) or the US virgin islands. All great and wonderful places to get lost and drop off an old drunk, lecherous boricua. :)
If you marry a Dominicana, you do know you marry her family too?
So before you take that step, inspect the lady fully. Please don't tell anybody you have money. It's just bad business.
Please don't tip anymore either, give what you have left over.
I think CC said it best or it was someone else, the best thing to say is. "no tengo ahora"....
And if you are asked for money, if 'they" ask you for mil pesos, they are expecting 500 so give 'em 100 pesos. Or "no tengo ahora" works really well.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccccccCCCCCcccccc

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I agree with you about him not being DR material but you thought that about me too and look at me!! Now I KNOW EVERYTHING and LOVE IT HERE!
I thought the OP was here for at least 8 months or something, the way he was talking. 2 months really is nothing, I didn't feel home here until a year and I still have no idea what is going on half the time!
I give anyone who can live here kudos bc this is not an easy place to live!

If I had to work like the hardcore peeps at Gorditos which I 100% respect I would be even less unhappy here. I was a workaholic in Vancouver but just would not be able to do it here, the heat absolutely kills me!

OP I don't think you have mentioned living in Sosua or Cabarete? Are you not interested in trying those places or just outside them? Where I live it is so quiet, no pollution and not a chaos orgy like POP and friggin beautiful!

I'm counting on you being right about this place Harley..... I could've picked Costa Rica. :)

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
"Fried Food Is Safe Food"???????????????????
No WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It could have been "Fried" yesterday!
Ever wonder about those cold, hard,dry "Empanadas", or how many times they have been "re-fried"????
??????

Kills the bacteria every time ;)

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
where you sucessful in you hometown... Did you know people there. did you have a family name people lookedup to.. Or did you have a nay comercial refernce people could said great thigns about you...
Nostros Los Dominicanos have a very hard time understnading how would someone form a diferent culture could leave everythign they know behind and fall in love witha a sandy beach and some hotel employees and think that is Domincan living. As many Americnas we Domincan work for a living and spend very little time in vacation hangout spots.. You wnat to meet decent Domincanas how about leave the toursit areas.. stop acting like a tourist and settle donw.. Las mujeres Dominicanas that wnat a husban to live here with her you will not find in a tourist area where they are lokking for a hsuban to take them away..
Go to church, movies not bars. And please do get dominicans friend that have similar taste and hobies like you so that you cna network that way.
Having moeny does not make you a sucessfull anythign here. And About the waiter not liking your tip...well put yourself in his or her position making 10,000 pesos per motnh nad looking at you splurge and thne looking donw on his service...Guess you did not go to high end places but expected highend services...
Welcome to my country.. hope you cna find a domincana that would educate you on proper international relationships...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't eat "street food" Period. Wouldn't eat it here, wouldn't eat in Paris or New York either. Not too long ago I remember a DR1 poster not too long ago getting "cholera" from a food truck in Sosua.......

I've eaten street food just about anywhere I've been (except Lagos.. Hate Lagos!!). As long as it's being cooked in front of you and cooked really hot then it should be reasonably sterile and if you're staying there awhile you need the local bugs in your system anyway for immunity.If you've a sensitive stomach, watch out for stuff cooked earlier and then given to the flies to sample.

I've been ill more times from so-called 'fancy' restaurants...

2 months stay really isn't even a trial residency.. That's just a holiday........

(Sorry N. Americans,---should be " Vaycayshun" )

Aug 6, 2006
Frying probably does kill all the bacteria, but the trick would be to eat only recently fried food.

Big Ed, a Texan I knew in NM once said, when walking past a sidewalk carnitas seller in Cd. Juarez, "Don't kill the flies, there are the national bird." But there is nothing that a fly could deposit that frying could not render harmless. Disgusting, perhaps, but not harmful.

Still, I recommend NOT eating chicarrones de puerco from street vendors. I had about two bites of this in Juan Dolio that gave me a week of stomach pain and nausea and required $2000 pesos in medicine and a visit to the hospital to get rid of.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"PAGUY" it is nearly impossible to tell WHERE anyone "Got Cholera", or most other communicable diseases either.
I prefer to get mine directly from the "Sources"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
"PAGUY" it is nearly impossible to tell WHERE anyone "Got Cholera", or most other communicable diseases either.
I prefer to get mine directly from the "Sources"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Most mere mortals could certainly narrow it down. You on the other hand....... You would def need the help of Center for Disease Control

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I CAN, "Narrow It Down"!
"Maria", Yudelkis, Sofia,Jomari, or Esperanze!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCenter for Disease CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCControl"!!!!!!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A corn dog Cart!! that's the ticket///

all over they have hot dog carts.. but no Corn dogs. Man, they would love them

Hey,. two months. Nothing. Really. And you have not even toured the island. Go to Las Terrenas and just SEE how many foreigners have made sucesses of business.

Then go down across by ferry to Sabana del Mar because the Miches Coast is the next one scheduled to be developed .. And you could be the First corn dog cart in..

ok. I am only half kidding. But you must have SOME spirit of adventure. And if you have enough to start a business then.. well you either made it, in which case you can most likely make it again.. Or you inherited it.. and so, easy come, easy go.

The trick is to find something that you really love to do. And want to work at. Or figure out a sweet idea that will put you ahead of things. And get real estate that is a good investment.

Go see Punta Cana and Cortecito.. see what is happening there. It takes more than a WEEK to see the island.

I have been here ten years and have not seen it all. And I traveled a lot. It takes a WEEK to even get a grim on Monte Christi.. *ok.. some would say you can do that in a day.. but me, I like to really get a grip on things!!

So, pretend that you are just starting all over again. Leave POP. Rent a good car for month. DRIVE the entire island. Do not leave out Pedernales. Or Paraiso. Do not leave out Miches. I guess you really do not want to be INLAND, is that what I gathered? So do the entire coast line.

Keep your eyes open. See how many new hotels there are. How many new buildings. How much seems empty. What seems filling up. If you like a place, stay a week. See if you can feed your self from the restaurtants. That sort of thing.

Believe me, whatever you learn will serve you will on your next quest!

Status
Not open for further replies.