Why Is Everyone Going to the Dominican Republic NY TIMES TODAY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The country is a rare pandemic success story, with recent visitor numbers far surpassing those of most other Caribbean destinations. Easy entry rules are a draw, but some locals are uneasy.
Unlike many other Caribbean beach destinations, the Dominican Republic doesn’t require proof of vaccination, test results or quarantine for most incoming travelers. Above, a scene in Punta Cana, one of the most popular spots.Credit...Tony Cenicola/The New York Time

Reactions: dalethefarmer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just had a conversation about that during lunch today at Coconuts with a former client from Bermuda who was just going back home.
No need for anything but a plane ticket to come in and that has worked well for tourism in general and for us renting apartments this year.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
They have been “haciendo la vista gorda” pretending as if they were really doing a lot. Like the vaccination card and officially recommending booster.

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The country is a rare pandemic success story, with recent visitor numbers far surpassing those of most other Caribbean destinations. Easy entry rules are a draw, but some locals are uneasy.
Unlike many other Caribbean beach destinations, the Dominican Republic doesn’t require proof of vaccination, test results or quarantine for most incoming travelers. Above, a scene in Punta Cana, one of the most popular spots.Credit...Tony Cenicola/The New York Time

It is true at least the Sinovac vaccination has been a huge success. Everybody is saying it and happy about it.

• Haha
Reactions: SKY and windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's quite simple and obvious. Most foreigners (minus Haitians and Venezuelans) are tourists and they will not get into the USA/Canada/(insert European country) without a Covid test that must be negative. Since most will be in the DR for a few days, couple of weeks tops, and then head back to the First World; no Covid positive tourist will travel to the DR to begin with.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is true at least the Sinovac vaccination has been a huge success. Everybody is saying it and happy about it.
Anyone that has been living here since the start of the pandemic knows how the DR opened up and life returned after Sinovac. Anyone living here that doe not know is in a Coma......................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For expats living here, without much fanfare, the CDN Govt. website now lists Sinovac Cornovac vaccine as a recognized vaccine. So it appears those with only Sinovac shots can now travel directly to Canada from the DR with this vaccine and a negative PCR test. No tourist from Canada will have received Sinovac but for those who chose to wait it out here, going to and from the DR has become ever so slightly easier.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's quite simple and obvious. Most foreigners (minus Haitians and Venezuelans) are tourists and they will not get into the USA/Canada/(insert European country) without a Covid test that must be negative. Since most will be in the DR for a few days, couple of weeks tops, and then head back to the First World; no Covid positive tourist will travel to the DR to begin with.
First: What is it that stops a CV19 known positive American tourist from boarding a plane in Miami and arriving in the DR?

Second: Since a person may not show as positive before boarding a plane, but only after arrival in the DR, how does that guarantee no one from anywhere will not be positive while in the DR?

Remember, it only took one person to start this pandemic when they walked out of WIV.....

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita

NYTimes should be ashamed of this Complete puffpiece by this writer. How this was allowed to publish It reads as if it was paid for.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
NYTimes should be ashamed of this Complete puffpiece by this writer. How this was allowed to publish It reads as if it was paid for.
So you doubt that more tourists are coming here than any other place in the Caribbean? What is your source may I ask?

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
So you doubt that more tourists are coming here than any other place in the Caribbean? What is your source may I ask?
Mr Sky(bird). I don’t believe I ever used the word doubt. Why would you ask whether I was “doubting”. I wrote that this piece put in the NY Times looks like perhaps the writer was “asked” to write a Puffpiece and that the Times should be ashamed. Perhaps you might also look at comments from the Times readers. Sky Take Off Your One-Sided glasses. This article is one sided shallow. DR needs tourists to survive in this world. We get it!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Mr Sky(bird). I don’t believe I ever used the word doubt. Why would you ask whether I was “doubting”. I wrote that this piece put in the NY Times looks like perhaps the writer was “asked” to write a Puffpiece and that the Times should be ashamed. Perhaps you might also look at comments from the Times readers. Sky Take Off Your One-Sided glasses. This article is one sided shallow. DR needs tourists to survive in this world. We get it!
And "perhaps" you have NO Clue what you are talking about. When is the last time or even the first time you took a nice vacation at one of our better AI's. My bet is never....................

• Wow

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First: What is it that stops a CV19 known positive American tourist from boarding a plane in Miami and arriving in the DR?
The desire to go back to the USA in 4 or 5 days, not to mention work obligations that most have. For many the thought of having a severe case of Covid that requires hospitalization while in the DR is enough of a deterrent.

Second: Since a person may not show as positive before boarding a plane, but only after arrival in the DR, how does that guarantee no one from anywhere will not be positive while in the DR?
How many tourists are not allowed to board an airplane heading back to the USA? Are Dominican airports facing a crisis of Americans that can’t leave die to a positive PCR test? The Punta Cana Airport has more flights to more places in the USA than any other Dominican airport.Are they facing this problem?

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
And "perhaps" you have NO Clue what you are talking about. When is the last time or even the first time you took a nice vacation at one of our better AI's. My bet is never....................
Don’t speak of what You know little to nothing about. I also Live here and have been coming here for many many years. And sorry but I do know and what I believe after vacationing at really Great hotels is there is most likely No good A1 hotel. That Is a fact! And I do understand You are probably a tout for tourism. Hey you gotta make a buck.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic has it all and I think a lot more people are starting to realize this. From top notch Ai Resorts in Punta Cabana to beautiful mountain views from Cabins up in Jarabacoa to cheap prostitutes in Sosua. It has something for everyone.
Home of the 200 dollar motorcycle

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The Dominican Republic has it all and I think a lot more people are starting to realize this. From top notch Ai Resorts in Punta Cabana to beautiful mountain views from Cabins up in Jarabacoa to cheap prostitutes in Sosua. It has something for everyone.
That is one of the positives of the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Don’t speak of what You know little to nothing about. I also Live here and have been coming here for many many years. And sorry but I do know and what I believe after vacationing at really Great hotels is there is most likely No good A1 hotel. That Is a fact! And I do understand You are probably a tout for tourism. Hey you gotta make a buck.
Well obviously 1000s have a different opinion than you. I personally don't care for the A1 experience but some of them are incredibly nice hotels.

Reactions: keepcoming

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Stay at Tortuga Bay and let us known how it went. That's not an AI, so be warned.