Why is Haiti so Poor but the Dominican Republic is not? Here is Haiti’s Troubled Path to Development and Why it's not IMPORTANT to the Int. Community

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am not a racist, but I realize there is no hope nor answer for Haiti. It is called being a realist.
Ignore the foolishness.
Haitian is a nationality not a race.
Their lack of progress is their own fault at this point in time. It's time for the rest of the world to stop wiping their ass.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Looks like a touch a nerve with some.
Good
You know who you are and so do we.
And shame on you and shame on those that allow them to exist.
Says a whole lot about some.
touch a nerve? you mean tickle a funny bone don't you. Have you ever been to Haiti? NO ! Have you ever been near the border? NO Do you live here? NO! Do you own a business? No! Enjoy your Kool Aid

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
touch a nerve? you mean tickle a funny bone don't you. Have you ever been to Haiti? NO ! Have you ever been near the border? NO Do you live here? NO! Do you own a business? No! Enjoy your Kool Aid
Do I judge someone because of the color of their skin.
Or perhaps where they come from.
I can safely say that I don't.
Can you honestly say the same.
Based on your responses, pretty safe bet that you and you know who can't.
Racist people always seem to have an excuse for their behavior.
And some are just plain to ignorant to even know any different.
Interesting that I did not specifically call anyone out but I don't have to since they always expose themselves on their own. And they did. 🤷‍♂️
I know that those kind of people will never change their stripes and will continue to act a fool.
But always good to know who they are. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do I judge someone because of the color of their skin.
Or perhaps where they come from.
I can safely say that I don't.
Can you honestly say the same.
Based on your responses, pretty safe bet that you and you know who can't.
Racist people always seem to have an excuse for their behavior.
And some are just plain to ignorant to even know any different.
Interesting that I did not specifically call anyone out but I don't have to since they always expose themselves on their own. And they did. 🤷‍♂️
I know that those kind of people will never change their stripes and will continue to act a fool.
But always good to know who they are. ;)
None of which has to do with the DR being more successful than Haiti. Haitians lack of education helps them make poor choices in leadership. Lack of birth control has them having more kids than they can support, and their economy leaves numerous people unemployed or underemployed. Their laws on foreign ownership and investment do not attract investment. Dominicans, in general, see themselves as Latinos (Hispanics) and are much more open to and welcoming to people from other countries and races. Haitians not so much. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but yes, ethnicity (not color), does play a role in Haiti's lack of success, but not the role you think it does.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
None of which has to do with the DR being more successful than Haiti. Haitians lack of education helps them make poor choices in leadership. Lack of birth control has them having more kids than they can support, and their economy leaves numerous people unemployed or underemployed. Their laws on foreign ownership and investment do not attract investment. Dominicans, in general, see themselves as Latinos (Hispanics) and are much more open to and welcoming to people from other countries and races. Haitians not so much. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but yes, ethnicity (not color), does play a role in Haiti's lack of success, but not the role you think it does.
I would also add that the lack of any infrastructure and levels of govt corruption that would make the DR police and politicians blush has an enormous impact on small business success.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My realism doesn't include seeing the future.
One only needs to look at the past and the present to see Haiti's future. Some would say we need to visit the past to learn what might happen in the future. Normally I have no precognitiience, but in this case the destiny is abundantly clear. Nobody off Hispaniola really cares about Haiti. That much should be obvious and that means they have no hope for outside help. What is going to get better during our lifetimes.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Adding on what @bob saunders mentions: it's all about political, public and civil will. And that takes us back in time to 1994 *throwback flashes* :

- DR was in the worst time politically, economically and socially (the 92 Crisis hit us hard AS*F)
- Haiti, was worst, another US invasion and instability
- Both countries lacked a consistent education, investment and not so many opportunities (see Visa para un Sueño)

From that moment, politicians, church power, business people and civil movements got together and made a National Pact. And among other things, was the establishment of continuity on development and growth in the country, no matter opposition or ruling party in power. Without that agreement, we wouldn't have the growth, normalization and civil achievements the country has fulfilled these 30 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the DR is not a poor country?
Relatively speaking to Haiti, there are huge differences between the DR as a developing nation and Haiti as a perpetually failed state.

The DR is not "so poor" while Haiti is "beyond poor" as in destitute when referring to the OP.