Why No Drunk Driving Law Enforcement? Unreal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why do north Americans move to a country that they dont like? Then they feel the need to save these poor people from themselves.
It's similar to how Californians left that state and created Oregon into a parallel state, or New Yorkers moving to FL and bringing their NY attitudes there.

They leave a place they don't like, yet bring the exact attitudes as those they fled.

Puzzling.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Serious problem for who? Expats or Dominicans? How many Dominicans are complaining about this serious social problem?
Why do north Americans move to a country that they dont like? Then they feel the need to save these poor people from themselves.

well, as soon as a dominican gets killed in an accident his family gets pretty concerned about it. introducing and exercising drink driving laws is a good idea, everywhere in the world. it will happen here sooner or later. i have lost grandmother to a drunk driver back home. i hate the idea that people take it so lightly here. i hope it will change. but alas, it's not for me to force it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
LTSteve nailed it. The OP apparently does not understand where he is. And why bring this up in the context of the wreck with the gua gua and the dump truck which was not because of alcohol??!? Driving here is insane drunk or sober. You risk your life every time you drive any distance on a fast road.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It's similar to how Californians left that state and created Oregon into a parallel state, or New Yorkers moving to FL and bringing their NY attitudes there.

They leave a place they don't like, yet bring the exact attitudes as those they fled.

Puzzling.

Wow. This is an interesting social comment. Very astute. Not 100 percent, of course, but part of it is the irony. You find a place you love/like and you want to change it to fit your personal situation? And, find fault with the way people live here? Most effective to try to create the place you want on a personal level and leave the rest of us out of it : )

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
enforce drunk driving laws??

does that mean we won't be able to take a leak on the side of the road ???

give me my rights !!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wow. This is an interesting social comment. Very astute. Not 100 percent, of course, but part of it is the irony. You find a place you love/like and you want to change it to fit your personal situation? And, find fault with the way people live here? Most effective to try to create the place you want on a personal level and leave the rest of us out of it : )

this is one of the reasons DR1 exists.... for people to vent / complain about RD

read on dear reader......

In the last 20 years in America I saw one drunk driver, in the Dominican Republic it's an everyday thing. My main reason for not driving at night. And the police are a joke. Bribes(Propina) are welcome.

If you think it is not a problem in NA as well you are not very observant! The main difference I think is EVERYONE hates a drinking driver in NA but most do it, just don't talk about it!

1 in 20 years? common man!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
this is one of the reasons DR1 exists.... for people to vent / complain about RD

read on dear reader......

True. jjjj Of course there are things I don't like here, but to think I am going to change anything or to think anybody gives a %$#^ what I think would be more than naive : )

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
If you think it is not a problem in NA as well you are not very observant! The main difference I think is EVERYONE hates a drinking driver in NA but most do it, just don't talk about it!

I read of a study not that long ago that cited the percentage of all drivers on the road that were legally impaired on a Friday night in the U.S. and it was high. You can probably google it and find it. Also, know that I am not defending the practice of drunk driving - there is no excuse for doing damage in this way. I don't want to get killed by a drunk driver either. I don't do it, I take taxis. But I don't harangue others about it either. I just do it.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

Compared to the DR yes 20 years. Drinking the world over is a issue but North America (USA) has a better grip on the issue than most countries. Yes I have had a few and driven a car but I know the penalties. So that makes me think twice about doing that. Can't speak for the Canadians. I personally know a woman buy the time the court was done with her over 10 thousand dollars in court cost and lawyer fees. That will make you think twice about drinking and driving. Ask anyone about Florida laws it stays on your record for 75 years. Who wants that.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The most dangerous place in the world to drive. 8 dead in Higuey yesterday. Yes I know not all drunk driving related but, regardless, does any one know of ANYONE arrested for drunk driving? Maybe when the presidents family gets mowed down by a drunk driver someone will do something. This is truly a disgraceful country!!!

Not arrested but the other party in a minor fender bender was held culpable because he was drunk and had to pay for the damages plus received a lecture.

So yes enforcement of sorts...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LT Steve, God forbid your family was killed by a drunk driver would you respond by saying "this a country where it is pretty much every man for himself and the survival of fittest"? I find this to be an extremely stupid response to a very serious social/deadly problem!!!

If you are trying to be "the tail that wags the dog" then I am afraid you will be very frustrated in this country. Laws are selectively enforced. If you expect differently, you are fighting a losing battle.

This country actually is ever man for himself in the context of this thread and in many other ways as well.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Most of you are missing the point. Stop the North America VS The DR debate. Innocent people are being killed and maimed everyday. I understand "that's just how it is" BUT if one of your family members were killed or maimed would you have the same response? BE HONEST! In a CIVILIZED society does one not deserve some basic protection on the roads? So either agree with me OR agree that The DR is an uncivilized country!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most of you are missing the point. Stop the North America VS The DR debate. Innocent people are being killed and maimed everyday. I understand "that's just how it is" BUT if one of your family members were killed or maimed would you have the same response? BE HONEST! In a CIVILIZED society does one not deserve some basic protection on the roads? So either agree with me OR agree that The DR is an uncivilized country!

I agree. ( But keep in mind that the two options you provided others to agree with are really one in the same as you have them stated).

And I realize it is not going to change. That fact would be my point.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not aware anyone with any real knowledge of the DR would say it's "civilized."

Because it's not.

It's developing.

And I doubt many come to the DR to play or live because it's civilized. In fact, I suspect most come here for both because it's NOT civilized.

Once again, folks coming here need to develop their own survival strategery, because the gubmint will not offer one. There is nothing, no law, no place to hide behind.

There just isn't enough money here to enforce all the laws, and good intentions have no legal bite.

The best one can do is lead by example with their own life and *hope* that example influences others. You know, be a good Boy Scout and leave the campground in better condition than how you found it.

That, and just assume every driver around you is drunk and use that assumption in your defensive driving strategery...

Status
Not open for further replies.