Why Not economical way?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
First off I do not believe that Dominicans are stupid, lazy, dishonest etc at least not anymore than any other people BUT why not be more economical is turning off the lights, water, or brands of clothes purchased etc. ? I have been told it is because some do not pay for water or electricity.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I don't think that's a Dominican thing.

It's the attitude of a young person (teens - mid twenties). I'm in this age group, so bare with me ;)

Turning off lights should happen, you pay for it. (Unless you don't, then you do what you please).

Water..... I'm paying 20 pesos a month for my water in my building... I'll run it if I please. (I don't, but that's the attitude).

When I moved to this country, I didn't care at all about clothes (and was sloppy in my dress), the culture changed that. I buy brand names because I can afford it. I work with plenty of people that can't afford it, but dress very sharp, and you are still drawn to their choices.
Many "brand names" might be knock-offs most of the time anyway (my eye isn't for detail.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The poorer Dominicans pay a flat fee for water and power and some don't pay for neither.

With regard to clothes, brand name ones are assumed to be better and too it is a status symbol.

When my wife first got to the States she only wanted brand name clothes I explained to her she could have 1 brand name item or 4 or 5 from Walmart or similar. Guess where we did all of our shopping? :)