Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
white people tanning themselves

was to show off that they have enough time and money to lie on the beach

go south in winter

were part of the leisure class

the sun drenched California look

it was not in any way to suggest that they thought that Being Black was a superior thing to be

but i agree that if we can agree that it is just for looks

that Sammy is doing this because he likes his looks

that Michael did all those cosmetic things not because he wanted to get rid of his black features but

well

he just like the look

then it is the same

when we see the white chicks having their hair frizzed into afros

and their noses made bigger

then we will be seeing some fruity mix of apples and oranges

which would make an interesting fruit

i am sure they are working on it

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
sammy%20claro.jpg

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Sammy is a hero of mine, just as I love micheal Jackson for his music, I still love sammy for his baseball and if in his personal life I disagree and don't like the things that he does, I can still love him for all he has done, and all he means to the Dr. I won't talk bad about him because of that also. DR 1 baby everyday and even in our not most proud moments Dominican Republic is always the best and number 1. You go Sammy, do your thing!!!
Biggs

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Sure, I somewhat agree

was to show off that they have enough time and money to lie on the beach

go south in winter

were part of the leisure class

the sun drenched California look

it was not in any way to suggest that they thought that Being Black was a superior thing to be

but i agree that if we can agree that it is just for looks

that Sammy is doing this because he likes his looks

that Michael did all those cosmetic things not because he wanted to get rid of his black features but

well

he just like the look

then it is the same

when we see the white chicks having their hair frizzed into afros

and their noses made bigger

then we will be seeing some fruity mix of apples and oranges

which would make an interesting fruit

i am sure they are working on it

I don't think they(white people) where trying to be black or saying that by taining they thought being black was superior, however I know that my skin is a blessing. I don't dislike pale skin or lighter skin but my skin is strong and beautiful and sammy or some one else doesn't like that then that is just them. True beauty comes from within, starting with loving who you are and loving how you look. that should be true to everyone:glasses: take care and God bless
Biggs

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Lets see here, He is a baseball legend, He has a hot wife, probably financially set for the rest of his life. Do you guys really think Sammy gives a rats a** what a bunch of gringo tourist who can only dream about living in the DR, and could only dream about living the type of life he has,think about him.
Thats the way he wants to look and that is his business.HATERS!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I bet he isnt as light as the photos show, because in the second one even his suit has lost colour, the press do love to exaggerate a good story- his girlfriend is also several shades lighter depending on which photo you look at

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lets see here, He is a baseball legend, He has a hot wife, probably financially set for the rest of his life. Do you guys really think Sammy gives a rats a** what a bunch of gringo tourist who can only dream about living in the DR, and could only dream about living the type of life he has,think about him.
You spoke too soon...

YouTube - Sammy SoSa ((FIESTA-PARTY 2009 BIRTHDAY MIAMI)) ??JrProductiOns??

jhartley said:
I bet he isnt as light as the photos show, because in the second one even his suit has lost colour, the press do love to exaggerate a good story- his girlfriend is also several shades lighter depending on which photo you look at

Judge for yourself...

YouTube - Sammy Sosa

:surprised

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmmm methinks its an imposter and hes really at home - maybe he should be trying to lose a few pounds- are we sure its actually him ?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
" y si quieres una cremita me avisas"...Sammy Sosa

I can see that quote on the billboards soon along with the double meaning.;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Sammy Sosa knows he will always be considered a black person and will never be admited in the dominican high society. There's things money cant buy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sammy Sosa knows he will always be considered a black person and will never be admited in the dominican high society. There's things money cant buy.

I always knew there was a racist segment here in the DR, but I didn't realize it extended beyond the few (relatively speaking) whites. If this is truly the case the Dominican "high society" is no different than the Deep South of South Carolina where I grew up. What a shame.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

It's not just about his color, it's about who he is, or isn't. His skin color is of merit in the discussion, when it comes to entering Dominican high society, but it's also his lack of credentials. He is a former shoeshine boy, who made his money as a baseball player. He is what you call new rich. Growing up in Massachusetts I saw a lot of this, when it came to the distinction of old money and new money. It seems odd, but true.

How you got your money is also important. There is a difference between money gained in the sugar trade, passed down through generations, or money gained in one generation as a product of playing sports, being a musician or politics.

There are many fair skinned, white, light, "indio" looking Dominicans who might have the money, but aren't cut from the same cloth as the rich in the DR, and though they rub elbows and run in the same circles, they are not allowed full membership into the group.

I mean be honest, how many ball players have been fully accepted and integrated in Dominican high society? Maybe Juan Marichal or Alex Rodriguez, but the numbers are minimal.

The skin color is just an added insult to Sammy. Even the way Sammy speaks has "poor" written all over it. Hear him speak in Spanish and you'd think he stopped shinning shoes last week.

Maybe he wants to rub elbows with the rich, and in the US, this could be possible, but in the DR, a highly classist and inward racist society, Sammy is just wasting his time, unfortunately, he can't see this.

Mr. Lu

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

A black person? Boy are you a racist or what:ermm::...Funny how peoples true colors always come out.:eek:gre:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It's not just about his color, it's about who he is, or isn't. His skin color is of merit in the discussion, when it comes to entering Dominican high society, but it's also his lack of credentials. He is a former shoeshine boy, who made his money as a baseball player. He is what you call new rich. Growing up in Massachusetts I saw a lot of this, when it came to the distinction of old money and new money. It seems odd, but true.

How you got your money is also important. There is a difference between money gained in the sugar trade, passed down through generations, or money gained in one generation as a product of playing sports, being a musician or politics.

There are many fair skinned, white, light, "indio" looking Dominicans who might have the money, but aren't cut from the same cloth as the rich in the DR, and though they rub elbows and run in the same circles, they are not allowed full membership into the group.

I mean be honest, how many ball players have been fully accepted and integrated in Dominican high society? Maybe Juan Marichal or Alex Rodriguez, but the numbers are minimal.

The skin color is just an added insult to Sammy. Even the way Sammy speaks has "poor" written all over it. Hear him speak in Spanish and you'd think he stopped shinning shoes last week.

Maybe he wants to rub elbows with the rich, and in the US, this could be possible, but in the DR, a highly classist and inward racist society, Sammy is just wasting his time, unfortunately, he can't see this.

Mr. Lu

I totally agree with you. Sammy has 2 problems: his color and the way he got his money

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
A black person? Boy are you a racist or what:ermm::...Funny how peoples true colors always come out.:eek:gre:

Saying a person is black when she is black has nothing to do with racism. You may thing the contrary though. Who cares !!! that person will always remains black even if she uses 1000 different products to lighten her skin

Status
Not open for further replies.