Why Sammy? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I can show you pictures of her over the last 15 years that show her as "White" Brown,even "Black". Who cares what "Sammy",my wife,or anyone else "LOOKS LIKE"! Maybe it's YOU who have the "ISSUES"?????? CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I dont think so Bro. I think I care what Sammy looks like because when a obviously black dude turns grey or mocha or something in his attempt to finally become white, there is a severe identity issue passing here. And if he was buddy of mine? HA!
I could imagine myself hanging with Eliot Spitzer doing all the "hot shots" and stand by him because we re buds.
Even McGreevey when he came out of the closet. I could say "He s still my man(ephemerally but never romantically)".
But Sosa? Nope, I couldnt explain it without ever losing face. Shoot, imagine his namesake, Sammy Davis Jr were here? Sammy Jr., a Puerto Rican man, understood his identity and didnt crow behind ambiguous labels(Hispanic/Latino) and transient nationality(Dominican/PortoRican). He knew he was a black man in Jim Crow America.
And no disrespect to you or your wife, but I dont care what she looks like what color she is or the ilk. I only want to know her future:ninja:.

Jan 3, 2003
that is going to set things a buzzin in Santiago
up there in the Cibao where the women are so beautiful
because they are so blanquita Bring it ON!

Whatever WHITE Dominicans are left in the DR are so few in number to be statistically insignificant. I don?t think Sammy is so interested in looking WHITE as he is in looking HISPANIC. Dominicans are constantly suffering a perpetual identity crisis since they look like BLACK AFRICANS yet have a HISPANIC culture. This contradiction in their daily life has given rise to groups within the DR expressing themselves as either BLACK AFRICANS, HISPANICS or varying quantities of both.

Stirring the pot with a bit of onions/carrots.:cheeky:
LOL

there is nothing to mix with - we are one race, we should forget all this race nonesense and classification of what we call someone slightly darker than someone else
If it were only so easy to do

There are certainly a lot of "white" people here too, at least they look like pure Spanish to me. I see them at the golf course and at church. At church, by far the majority of them have "mulato" spouses too.
Exactly my point, there are so few HISPANIC looking dominicans in the DR that these must marry the NON-HISPANIC looking ones.

On the other hand I don't like Hip?lito Mejia and I wouldn't call him mulatto.
He doesn't even look HISPANIC but looks like a pure white caucasian. A white nationalist from Stormfront agreed to this.

lol, does this even sound right to you? I am a Dominican here in the USA and speak to many college students and no they don't hold these rather bizarre Afrocentric beliefs.
Read the answer above

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Whatever WHITE Dominicans are left in the DR are so few in number to be statistically insignificant. I don?t think Sammy is so interested in looking WHITE as he is in looking HISPANIC. Dominicans are constantly suffering a perpetual identity crisis since they look like BLACK AFRICANS yet have a HISPANIC culture. This contradiction in their daily life has given rise to groups within the DR expressing themselves as either BLACK AFRICANS, HISPANICS or varying quantities of both.

No sale brother...looking hispanic is just as ambiguous as looking Jewish. There are no phenotype traits that can conclusively determine if one is Hispanic nor a Jewish, because the former is a self-styled classification and the latter is a religion. Indigenous Peruvians may look like indigenous Ecuadorians and Mexicans, and Black Dominicans may look like Cubans, Brasilians, Colombians and those from Belize.
Nope, Sosa wants to look white. Your statement would dictate that Celia Cruz, Roberto Clemente, Reggie Jackson, Bernie Williams, Rosario Dawson, Faison Love, Ralph Mercado, Charles Morse, Arthur Schlomberg(<---dig this guy, a Black Puerto Rican with a German Jewish name?) arent nor were never really Latinos because they didnt look Hispanic. And what about Raquel Welch? Mariah Carey? Cameron Diaz, etc? They could pass for all out white women if they chose not to tell you who nor what they were. No way brother, that guy, Sosa wants to be white and Latino like Ricky Martin, Martin Sheen, or Sevcec.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
BUT my point was, would he be accepting amongst the "dominican elite", the hierarchy of this civilization, the "uppercrust", the "refined bourgieouse" if he were to intermingle in their environs? After all, A Rod, not your son, is new money, but a massive amount of it, he gets from swinging a stick at a ball. Even the old money and its position of relative affluence has to be humbled by that. You may have some cigar plantation or rum distilliery or have the market locked on building supplies or construction equipment here, but this guy gets some serious per diem.
Two things:

A) Its not about money because there are plenty of Dominicans with net-worth that surpasses whatever Sosa is worth. Practically all firms in the DR are family businesses. This is true even among the large corporations because the shareholders are either all family members or a mixture of family members and friends of the family. Quite a few Dominican conglomerates have yearly profits in the nine-digits categories, some even high nine-digits. Unlike Sammy who most likely is making less money from his investments than he made in Baseball, these families make more from their investments than otherwise.

Its more an issue of class/behavior. It takes a few generations to create a true upper class person, until then they will be looked upon by many as upper middle class; even if they own the entire world.

B) The entire old money elite doesn't shun Sammy. Some of his friends have respectable last names, belong to the upper crust of the Dominican upper crust. However, its like everything else, some people like him while others don't.

AnnaC said:
Can we get back to Sammy or are we done here?
The thread is beginning to appear like a broken record, so I guess that's a hint... ;)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
Nope, Sosa wants to look white. Your statement would dictate that Celia Cruz, Roberto Clemente, Reggie Jackson, Bernie Williams, Rosario Dawson, Faison Love, Ralph Mercado, Charles Morse, Arthur Schlomberg(<---dig this guy, a Black Puerto Rican with a German Jewish name?) arent nor were never really Latinos because they didnt look Hispanic. And what about Raquel Welch? Mariah Carey? Cameron Diaz, etc? They could pass for all out white women if they chose not to tell you who nor what they were. No way brother, that guy, Sosa wants to be white and Latino like Ricky Martin, Martin Sheen, or Sevcec.

White America knows what looks Hispanic. The U.S. gov't invented this designation to label a group of people who weren't white yet weren't black nor the mixtures thereof. They needed a label for these Spanish speaking people coming from Latin America.

Most Dominicans traveling throughout the US would not be perceived as Hispanic but as Afro-Americans upon sight. Thus, the contradiction stands and the difficulty for Dominicans to be placed in the group they feel they belong to, namely Hispanics, yet phenotypically, they look like they belong to another.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I dont think so Bro. I think I care what Sammy looks like because when a obviously black dude turns grey or mocha or something in his attempt to finally become white, there is a severe identity issue passing here. And if he was buddy of mine? HA!
I could imagine myself hanging with Eliot Spitzer doing all the "hot shots" and stand by him because we re buds.
Even McGreevey when he came out of the closet. I could say "He s still my man(ephemerally but never romantically)".
But Sosa? Nope, I couldnt explain it without ever losing face. Shoot, imagine his namesake, Sammy Davis Jr were here? Sammy Jr., a Puerto Rican man, understood his identity and didnt crow behind ambiguous labels(Hispanic/Latino) and transient nationality(Dominican/PortoRican). He knew he was a black man in Jim Crow America.
And no disrespect to you or your wife, but I dont care what she looks like what color she is or the ilk. I only want to know her future:ninja:.

Well, you really got some personal issues that obviously you need to work on.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
yip I think we're done here. More on Sammy in the baseball forum and more on this issue in the general forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.