Why sometimes advice is not heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Free Advice

It is not uncommon for foreigners here and abroad to criticize the Dominican Republic for all that ails it. However, from many a Dominican's point of view who keep up with world events a lot of the criticism is the "pot calling the kettle black". Here are a few examples and typical responses from Dominicans:

Statement: The DR is a corrupt country.
Typical response: The world's economy is in the dumps because of corruption in the US and Europe.

S: The DR is a violent country.
R: In the US and Europe there are mass murders of many innocent people fairly frequently.

S: Dominicans are barbarians because they like demonstrations.
R: Every time there is a G12 meeting or a football match there are mass riots and people die.

S: Dominicans are not civilized.
R: Europeans don't bathe, Americans are cheap and aloof and Canadians are arrogant.

S: Dominicans can't drive.
R: Apparently Americans can't either based on "World's Scariest Police Chases" or similar.

S: Dominicans are womanizers.
R: The foreign tourists in the resort area make Dominicans look like saints and beside at least Dominicans like women.

S: The DR is a racist society.
R: Dominican family members living abroad say they are victims of racism from the whites as well as the blacks.

I didn't see any advice.
I will however give some. Keep in mind, Free advice is worth what you pay for it!

Don't lie to yourself.
Take responsibility for your actions.
Stop blaming others.
Remember, god is an invention of humans.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I didn't see any advice.
I will however give some. Keep in mind, Free advice is worth what you pay for it!

Don't lie to yourself.
Take responsibility for your actions.
Stop blaming others.
Remember, god is an invention of humans.

Stay on topic please.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Blame the US is the mantra of the third world and the French.
Nobody likes criticism. No place is perfect. If you live here full time like you guys do you know what the deal is. I visit four months a year I know what it is and I enjoy the good stuff. Who goes to someones country and criticizes people? Yeah the DR is a corrupt place, and its poverty stricken. There must be something that keeps you guys here and others coming back. I am a proud US citizen and a Veteran. I will punch teeth out for criticizing my country while I am in my country. When I visit a country I keep my opinions to myself, primarily because its bad manners to disrespect someone else's country. Why discuss the shortcomings of the DR with the people who live here? They know better than U what goes on here.
When the whole world hated George W Bush every smelly European in the world had to tell me about it like I give a fu*K what they think. And heres one for you the Dominicans that you talk to about thier country dont give a fu** what you think.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
It is not uncommon for foreigners here and abroad to criticize the Dominican Republic for all that ails it. However, from many a Dominican's point of view who keep up with world events .

I doubt these Dominicans you quote are keeping up with world events.

This is what may have happened:

(You were in class last night at PUCMM, and some classmates there voiced some of these opinions (I don't think you would make them up, for your faith thingy wouldn't allow it) before class started, possibly as a consequence of/and after being probed by the instructor.))

Instructor: "Good evening class. Diablo! That was some hellacious shooting in Colorado. Did you watch the news?!"

"Worldy" Student A: "That's the US for you, profe. And they have the nerve to criticize us Dominicans. But we know better: we keep up with what's really going on in the world."

Then it became a free-for-all, with some riquitos, in their never-ending effort to impre$$, pull out their laptops and clicked on a few sites and... voil?: the world in an instant!

"Worldy" Student R: "Yeah, my cousin in Nueva York tells me about his experience with racism..."

This went on for a while, and the profe may have even mentioned Barclays and Libor and this and that. And at times he would turn to Chip for reaction. Some student even suggested that the BRIC countries are kicking rear, especially Brazil, and the entire classroom, as is the norm, would agree, erroneously I might add, but what the heck, it's Chip's world, and he's living in it.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I didn't see any advice.

Lobo, I didn't see any advice either and I wondered if I was missing something! The title of the post is interestingly "Why sometimes advice is not heard" but as I read the post, I could not find the "advice". Is that because it is not heard? If it is not heard, is it spoken since it is obviously not written? Who is on first??? How many grandes were sacrificed for that post?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Lobo, I didn't see any advice either and I wondered if I was missing something! The title of the post is interestingly "Why sometimes advice is not heard" but as I read the post, I could not find the "advice". Is that because it is not heard? If it is not heard, is it spoken since it is obviously not written? Who is on first??? How many grandes were sacrificed for that post?

Thanks for constructive criticism.

The thread should have been titled "Why Dominicans don't take criticism well from smart arse foreigners". :)

Again, thanks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I doubt these Dominicans you quote are keeping up with world events.

This is what may have happened:

(You were in class last night at PUCMM, and some classmates there voiced some of these opinions (I don't think you would make them up, for your faith thingy wouldn't allow it) before class started, possibly as a consequence of/and after being probed by the instructor.))

Instructor: "Good evening class. Diablo! That was some hellacious shooting in Colorado. Did you watch the news?!"

"Worldy" Student A: "That's the US for you, profe. And they have the nerve to criticize us Dominicans. But we know better: we keep up with what's really going on in the world."

Then it became a free-for-all, with some riquitos, in their never-ending effort to impre$$, pull out their laptops and clicked on a few sites and... voil?: the world in an instant!

"Worldy" Student R: "Yeah, my cousin in Nueva York tells me about his experience with racism..."

This went on for a while, and the profe may have even mentioned Barclays and Libor and this and that. And at times he would turn to Chip for reaction. Some student even suggested that the BRIC countries are kicking rear, especially Brazil, and the entire classroom, as is the norm, would agree, erroneously I might add, but what the heck, it's Chip's world, and he's living in it.

Jose where have you been????

Actually, 100% of my professors are pro American and European as they seem immensely impressed with order and infrastructure. I base my observations not just on fellow students but on family members, like my suegro, and many friends and acquaintances some of whom aren't even professional.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Chip do you not like being an American?, and do you not like the USA? You go to a good school in Santiago and you have a beautiful family. Do you think if your country was Bosnia you would have all these things?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Statement: The DR is a corrupt country.
Typical response: The world's economy is in the dumps because of corruption in the US and Europe.

S: The DR is a violent country.
R: In the US and Europe there are mass murders of many innocent people fairly frequently.

S: Dominicans are barbarians because they like demonstrations.
R: Every time there is a G12 meeting or a football match there are mass riots and people die.

S: Dominicans are not civilized.
R: Europeans don't bathe, Americans are cheap and aloof and Canadians are arrogant.

S: Dominicans can't drive.
R: Apparently Americans can't either based on "World's Scariest Police Chases" or similar.

S: Dominicans are womanizers.
R: The foreign tourists in the resort area make Dominicans look like saints and beside at least Dominicans like women.

S: The DR is a racist society.
R: Dominican family members living abroad say they are victims of racism from the whites as well as the blacks.

These aren't typical Dominican responses, these are YOUR responses. This is you asking questions, and then answering them. It's the only way you can guarantee hearing exactly what you want to hear, which is what you prefer.

You have a severe identity crisis, criticizing the US at every turn and becoming resentful and belligerent whenever anyone points out the (many) faults of your adopted country.

This type of juvenile tit-for-tat logic is why so many Dominicans are incapable of basic problem-solving unless they are in severe desperation-mode, and you've fallen right in lockstep with them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
These aren't typical Dominican responses, these are YOUR responses. This is you asking questions, and then answering them. It's the only way you can guarantee hearing exactly what you want to hear, which is what you prefer.

You have a severe identity crisis, criticizing the US at every turn and becoming resentful and belligerent whenever anyone points out the (many) faults of your adopted country.

This type of juvenile tit-for-tat logic is why so many Dominicans are incapable of basic problem-solving unless they are in severe desperation-mode, and you've fallen right in lockstep with them.

Berzin

Please stop making this thread about me.

These are opinions I've heard from Dominicans whether you like it or not.

Also, the sublime attempt at personal criticism is not befitting a moderator. Please check your inability to refrain from trying to appear more intelligent than those who you oppose "at the door" before posting in the future. Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo's responses:
1. the DR is a corrupt country: this is true but we are working to get it better.
2. the DR is a violent country: yes, if you go to poor barrios and poorly educated people then yes, they are violent.
3. dominicans are barbarians because they like demonstrations: people with no education like demonstrations in any country.
4. dominicans are not civilized: this is the problem of the country, only the people with money can get education.
5. dominicans can't drive: people in carritos publico don't know how to drive.
6. dominicans are womanizers: they are hot, caribbean people, yes.
7. the DR is a racist society: not true, they only dislike haitians.

so there, how the criticism (NOT advice) of DR is taken by an educated, well to do dominican. i will ask our maid the same questions on friday, let's see the response of his polar opposite.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip do you not like being an American?, and do you not like the USA? You go to a good school in Santiago and you have a beautiful family. Do you think if your country was Bosnia you would have all these things?

I love my country and the Dominican Republic as well. I don't understand why I get criticized for criticizing the bad in my country. It's as if the only purpose of this board is to criticize everything about the DR and any dissenters are lambasted. This isn't healthy nor correct to say the least.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

WOW!!! DOUBLE WOW!!! I have read a lot of opinions on Dominicans, but" incapable of basic problem-solving unless they are in severe desperation-mode" was the BEST and MOST ACCURATE description I have ever read.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I love my country and the Dominican Republic as well. I don't understand why I get criticized for criticizing the bad in my country. It's as if the only purpose of this board is to criticize everything about the DR and any dissenters are lambasted. This isn't healthy nor correct to say the least.

Chip I could NOT criticized you if I wanted to. You have two daughters that live with you, two daughters you take care of emotionally. I have a daughter here and one in Santo Domingo and neither one live with me.

I know what you are trying say, but look at it like this. If JMB773 was raised in Haiti, DR, Brazil, Cuba, PR, Peru Mexico I would NEVER NEVER NEVER have what I have now or have the CHOICE not to have what I have. The USA has its moments, but it offer something that many people even in 2012 give their life up for: HAVING A CHOICE.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip I could NOT criticized you if I wanted to. You have two daughters that live with you, two daughters you take care of emotionally. I have a daughter here and one in Santo Domingo and neither one live with me.

I know what you are trying say, but look at it like this. If JMB773 was raised in Haiti, DR, Brazil, Cuba, PR, Peru Mexico I would NEVER NEVER NEVER have what I have now or have the CHOICE not to have what I have. The USA has its moments, but it offer something that many people even in 2012 give their life up for: HAVING A CHOICE.

The US is a great country. Still, there are many other countries that have value too, like the DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You (Chip) say these are responses from "all walks of live" but where are these walks??? Never once have I heard these responses from anyone. I am talking about, doctors, lawyers, athletes, students, business owners, neighbors, taxi drivers, etc...This is whether I was here or in the US. Never once have I heard these responses from Dominicans. The Dominicans I know do not "take down" another culture to rise above another but rather accept the the faults of their own culture and move on. The only blame I hear the Dominican people complaining about is their own corrupt society and government. Your attitude toward the US and the constant blame you place on the US for the shortcomings here is for me disrespectful. For someone who has lived as a guest in this country such as you are I wonder what you will say about the DR once you begin to feel they have "done you wrong". Why for you the US needs to be the scapegoat for all that is wrong with the DR is beyond me but I will say this your "responses" are very disrespectful of what a true Dominican thinks. I think you may have gotten your responses on the corner one night after a few cervezas with the motoconchos (sp?).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You (Chip) say these are responses from "all walks of live" but where are these walks??? Never once have I heard these responses from anyone. I am talking about, doctors, lawyers, athletes, students, business owners, neighbors, taxi drivers, etc...This is whether I was here or in the US. Never once have I heard these responses from Dominicans. The Dominicans I know do not "take down" another culture to rise above another but rather accept the the faults of their own culture and move on. The only blame I hear the Dominican people complaining about is their own corrupt society and government. Your attitude toward the US and the constant blame you place on the US for the shortcomings here is for me disrespectful. For someone who has lived as a guest in this country such as you are I wonder what you will say about the DR once you begin to feel they have "done you wrong". Why for you the US needs to be the scapegoat for all that is wrong with the DR is beyond me but I will say this your "responses" are very disrespectful of what a true Dominican thinks. I think you may have gotten your responses on the corner one night after a few cervezas with the motoconchos (sp?).

Sorry keepcoming if I don't value your objectivity. You like many couldn't agree with me on a topic if your very life depended on it and in fact you resort to purposely misinterpreting my posts in the hopes of trying to discredit me.

Case in point, I have never once claimed the the US is the scapegoat for what ails the DR; good grief what extents some people will go to to try to win an argument.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I dont need to win by no means I raised a family here ok but I have never ever forgot where I came from. I have never blamed the US for the problems the DR has. I see the country for what it is just as I see my country, the US for what it is. Lets take drugs..What was your answer??? All those "token Americans" are to blame. Your values should be on the truth not who needs to win. I dont agree with you because you are WRONG. You discredit yourself and the Dominican people by your responses you wrote in this thread. How can you be the voice for Dominican repsonses when you are NOT Dominican. I take it as a insult due to the fact I have been married to a Dominican for over 20 years, his family is Dominican and you have decided you will be the spokeperson for all the wrong in the DR. Objectivity??? You lost yours. Thank God the tax payer in the US didnt loose theirs because didnt I read your collecting disability from the US government. Never ever bite the hand that feeds you. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.