Why stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
So, I've been thinking about asking this question for a little while now. Why do people stay in the DR? Particularly, why would/do you stay here if you're in the Santo Domingo area? Just wanted to know what keeps the expat community here.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
It is annoying living in the city, surrounded by very annoying people, everything is a hassle, and the lifestyle takes some justifying like you say.

But I have also lived on the Northcoast among the expats and their silly micro politics and that also takes some justifying after a while.

Work is always a good reason to stay anywhere, and after all, who ever is in a position to just up and leave because they feel like it are retired, very young and free from responsibility, or living in a lah lay land most of us with responsibility could only dream of.

Everywhere has it's issues, DR is nothing special, no one is a super star just because they can make a living and create some sort of lifestyle here, it's just another place to live, like anywhere in the world. There are no specifics that make life here easier or better other than money, and that goes for everywhere in the world.

We all left somewhere to come here, so doesn't mean there was anything wrong with where we were before, for most of us this could have quite as easily been anywhere else, a lottery, all people look for is change, the world is a big place.

I didn't move here because of any specifics the country had to offer, to the contrary I can't think of anything it has offered me I haven't had to work my arse off for or bend over backwards and pull my hair out for. Infact to go one step further, this place is hard work.

I've got a steady job, and nice small place in a quiet safe area, a small but respectable circle of friends, a car and gas in my tank. I guess where ever I was would be pretty much the same and so there is not much reason to leave right now, and so that is enough reason for me to stay. If I need time out there is a strip of A/I over punta Cana where I can go and pretend to be anywhere else in the world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is annoying living in the city, surrounded by very annoying people, everything is a hassle, and the lifestyle takes some justifying like you say.

But I have also lived on the Northcoast among the expats and their silly micro politics and that also takes some justifying after a while.

Work is always a good reason to stay anywhere, and after all, who ever is in a position to just up and leave because they feel like it are retired, very young and free from responsibility, or living in a lah lay land most of us with responsibility could only dream of.

Everywhere has it's issues, DR is nothing special, no one is a super star just because they can make a living and create some sort of lifestyle here, it's just another place to live, like anywhere in the world. There are no specifics that make life here easier or better other than money, and that goes for everywhere in the world.

We all left somewhere to come here, so doesn't mean there was anything wrong with where we were before, for most of us this could have quite as easily been anywhere else, a lottery, all people look for is change, the world is a big place.

I didn't move here because of any specifics the country had to offer, to the contrary I can't think of anything it has offered me I haven't had to work my arse off for or bend over backwards and pull my hair out for. Infact to go one step further, this place is hard work.

I've got a steady job, and nice small place in a quiet safe area, a small but respectable circle of friends, a car and gas in my tank. I guess where ever I was would be pretty much the same and so there is not much reason to leave right now, and so that is enough reason for me to stay. If I need time out there is a strip of A/I over punta Cana where I can go and pretend to be anywhere else in the world.

awesome post!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
awesome post!!!

hey, Smart, i love the part about the expat micro politics. walk into a caseta on the POP malecon. the Italians are at one table, the German another, and the Canadians their own. the Austrians hate the Swiss, who hate the British, and everybody hates the Yanks. talk about a dysfunctional family!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
hey, Smart, i love the part about the expat micro politics. walk into a caseta on the POP malecon. the Italians are at one table, the German another, and the Canadians their own. the Austrians hate the Swiss, who hate the British, and everybody hates the Yanks. talk about a dysfunctional family!!

Everybody hates the French and that's why they're in las Terrenas. They've got the best of the DR though;)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
3 things keep me here, Making money, chicas and air conditioning. Anyone of those dry up and I'm gone.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Never been to Santo Domingo except to drive thru. Can anyone tell me why it reminds me of New Orleans every time I am there? But I stay here in POP because I love it. I have a soft and sexy babe to cuddle up to every night and she washes my clothes and makes meals 3 times a day and all I have to do is provide the money to pay the rent and buy the comida. Can't have that back in Miami or Tenn for that matter.
I Love It!!
Der Fish

Derfish, you have it good. and you deserve it. keep on keeping on.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why stay? this is a broad question.

some come here because of their alleged love for all things dominican: people, food, music and culture. they stay because they are tone deaf, their taste buds are damaged and dominican telly does daily spongebob squarepants re-runs and they think patrick the starfish is dominican.

there are others, like ccccc who are here because of their families. many gringo parents dread to think what would become of their kids if they were not in DR, paying bills and taking care of them. some others stay because they found a significant other and you just know that such luck does not happen often.

there are some who cannot leave anymore because their checks would not get them far in wherever they come from. they live off their pension, disability or savings. they make ends meet because when they arrived they invested in a house or a condo so they do not need to pay the rent. they may not be exactly happy but they are realistic.

finally, you have folks who are trapped here. years ago they came in, bought land or a house in a project that never took off. they cannot sell and recuperate the money and they refuse to sell at a loss just to be free.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
why stay? this is a broad question.

some come here because of their alleged love for all things dominican: people, food, music and culture. they stay because they are tone deaf, their taste buds are damaged and dominican telly does daily spongebob squarepants re-runs and they think patrick the starfish is dominican.

there are others, like ccccc who are here because of their families. many gringo parents dread to think what would become of their kids if they were not in DR, paying bills and taking care of them. some others stay because they found a significant other and you just know that such luck does not happen often.

there are some who cannot leave anymore because their checks would not get them far in wherever they come from. they live off their pension, disability or savings. they make ends meet because when they arrived they invested in a house or a condo so they do not need to pay the rent. they may not be exactly happy but they are realistic.

finally, you have folks who are trapped here. years ago they came in, bought land or a house in a project that never took off. they cannot sell and recuperate the money and they refuse to sell at a loss just to be free.

we are yet to hear your reason. i know that none of those categories encompasses you.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Mi esposo surely?

Epileptic cats and slavering rotties aren't quite enough alone I guess.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we are yet to hear your reason. i know that none of those categories encompasses you.

i somehow fit here:
some others stay because they found a significant other and you just know that such luck does not happen often.

the thing with love is that it only happens once. to some, never. imma gonna stick here. and actually dogs and cats factor here as well. it's my micro family. gee. i think i take responsibility for living my life, no?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what always puzzles me is that people can be secret haters. there are folks who take offense at cccc's dumbinicans posts, folks who get annoyed with anyone criticizing DR. at the same time they don't drive a car here because of police extortion, don't have residency because of government extortion, do not go out to the beach because of the vendors bother them, they do not go out to the clubs because of putas bother them, they have no bank account because dominican banks are thieves, they have no lawyer because dominican lawyers are thieves, they do not eat out because dominican service sucks, they do not shop because dominican products suck...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Climate, girls, fresh sea-food & veggies, climate, girls... Beach... Girls... It's been too long, I would not see myself anywhere else...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what always puzzles me is that people can be secret haters. there are folks who take offense at cccc's dumbinicans posts, folks who get annoyed with anyone criticizing DR. at the same time they don't drive a car here because of police extortion, don't have residency because of government extortion, do not go out to the beach because of the vendors bother them, they do not go out to the clubs because of putas bother them, they have no bank account because dominican banks are thieves, they have no lawyer because dominican lawyers are thieves, they do not eat out because dominican service sucks, they do not shop because dominican products suck...

they stay here because there are people looking for them..there was this guy from Costambar who blew all his money, and went to the US Embassy and plead destitution. they bought him a ticket home, with the condition that it had to be repaid when he got back on his feet. well, when he landed in Miami, the feds were there with the welcome mat. turns out he had robbed a bank, and got away with a few hundred grand, which he blew in the bars of Long Beach. i guess he thought they had forgotten.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We are from the UK, lived many years in Spain and then one day up and left that great country to come here. We were lucky enough to buy when the dollar was 2:1 for UK Sterling... wonderful, got the condo for half price :)

We initially came because of the climate (had enough of cold winters); sold what we could and wanted to be near the beach and wanted to live without having to buy a car... so here we are in paradise and here we are going to stay until our last breath! Been here 7 years, and don't wish to be anywhere else. We have accepted the idiosyncrasies here (like any country, including our own) you get used to the way things are even though they can be annoying.

Honestly, you could keep chasing for Utopia but you know you will never find it, so just find a place which ticks the majority of your boxes, settle down and enjoy your life - because life really is too short to regret anything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.