Why the blackouts; power service improves over the weekend

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
My point exactly. It's a double whammy. Increased consumption and increased tariff.

It's not enough to complain about, but it's still aggravating.

The first thing that comes to mind is this: They have the technology to read meters digitally; can meters be adjusted to show more consumption?
EXACTLY what I am thinking. I was told by the electrician to challenge all of my high bills and then have them come check. They will decline any issues as they always do and then take the letter to PERDOM who is supposed to investigate. If they find nothing then you go to the Supertendencia of Electricity to file a complaint. In 4 months, my bill has now increased by more than 6,000 pesos and I have less consumption because we have turned off all non-essential appliances, the water heater and pump are always off unless we are showering, and I too have reduced how many times I wash, etc so my bill should have decreased at least 2 thousand or more and it has increased.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
EXACTLY what I am thinking. I was told by the electrician to challenge all of my high bills and then have them come check. They will decline any issues as they always do and then take the letter to PERDOM who is supposed to investigate. If they find nothing then you go to the Supertendencia of Electricity to file a complaint. In 4 months, my bill has now increased by more than 6,000 pesos and I have less consumption because we have turned off all non-essential appliances, the water heater and pump are always off unless we are showering, and I too have reduced how many times I wash, etc so my bill should have decreased at least 2 thousand or more and it has increased.
Get one of these. https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...ocphy=9006850&hvtargid=pla-306572288073&psc=1
Also try turning off your whole panel for a day or two and see if your meter still shows consumption. There may be a problem between your meter and panel. Like a neighbor "borrowing some luz" or some kind of fault.

Reactions: llapaglia21

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The saga continues.

The temperature change on my A/C did not have the expected results.

However..... I discovered this morning my 500W stereo amplifier is turned on. Since when - I have no idea. I'm afraid to ask the cleaning woman. lol

I have been hearing music in the distance for a few months now. I didn't think much about it since I have a new neighbor who I thought was playing his stereo. I didn't say anything because it was very low and he has great taste in music. :rolleyes:

I went to check the output hours on my projector this morning and that's when I realized the music was coming from my headphones.

A stereo amp can easily consume as much as a refrigerator.

I'm betting my consumption is going to drop now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was an outage last night for 3 hours starting at 10:30 PM until 1:30 AM on CABT102 and more of at least Cabarete.

In our area, it doesn't seem to matter in general if it is a week day or the weekend for a blackout to happen.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In Boca Chica last week, we had long outages 3 for days, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of last week. I hope that's just an aberration and it gets better this week. We have still never completely discharged our 4 batteries, but there's always a first time.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There was an outage last night for 3 hours starting at 10:30 PM until 1:30 AM on CABT102 and more of at least Cabarete.

In our area, it doesn't seem to matter in general if it is a week day or the weekend for a blackout to happen.
Same here... Shorter outages recently many times each day...

Drak

Jul 7, 2015

FWIW: It's the same in this area of Jarabacoa, although they have been doing lots of utility pole upgrades through the region for about the past year and a half.

Often enough here, there are branches the come down on a line, and a crew will be seen out clearing the debris. Get a lot of the 'cannon' booms when a transformer trips/blows as well from voltage spikes or whatever is happening.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So... my problem was the Stereo.

My consumption has dropped by one KW every day since I turned it off.

I've resigned myself the the fact I'm not going to get it down further unless I stop using my A/C altogether.

And today is when the next EDESUR increase goes into effect; another 9% in my world.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
And today is when the next EDESUR increase goes into effect; another 9% in my world.
Not just EDESUR, all of them, as far as I know...

Just conveniently with all this heat... We have to use the A/C pretty extensively just to be able to sleep properly and to be able to work during the day... I'm terrified of our bills now... Just took $RD6,058 to EDENORTE last month, first time ever that much...