Why the high electricity bills?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can go online if you are with Edenorte. Then you can set up an online account using your account number and email and see if you can read your own meter on line. They also will send you an email with your bill attached to it.

Or you can post a picture of your meter and probably it will have the information necessary to see if it is a smart meter

I'm in San Cristobal Windy, so EDESUR. I'm happy with my weekly consumption reports in any case.

Tomas Ceara

Jun 6, 2020
Santo Domingo, D. R.
My electrical bill was double the amount I've usually paid and not a real difference in consumption. I guess the Government needs to get the money they're not getting out of taxes, tourism and remittances.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My electrical bill was double the amount I've usually paid and not a real difference in consumption. I guess the Government needs to get the money they're not getting out of taxes, tourism and remittances.

What were your March, April, and May bills like?
Were you checking your meter for usage?

Sep 22, 2009
Speaking of the devil. Just hot off the press. 240kw @ 15pesos. No AC

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_081818.jpg
    IMG_20200723_081818.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 213

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I use AC at night cuz our house is stifling and does not cool down. The over all bill is up about $RD1000.00 over the last couple of months but I use the energy so I pay the bill.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm envious, at 900 pesos I have a mental image of a fan and a single light bulb hanging from a wire. :)

I lived in a nice apartment in Colinas del Oeste in west Santo Domingo that was 26K a month which is a very nice area.

I moved to a comparable sized apartment in San Cristobal for only 12K a month and negotiated no yearly increases with the owner.

It is a nice 1st floor 3/2 1st floor apartment so it stays fairly cool anyway. I live alone and work so the A/C runs from 5pm to 5am weekdays and 24 hrs Sat and Sun when I'm home.

I have two 12K inverter A/C's, a 43" Flat TV, a 10' projector TV, a stacker washer/dryer, Frigidaire reefer, and inverter Microwave and a Mabe non-electronic gas stove and a 5 gal water heater set very high which means I use little hot water with cold mixed in to lower the temperature when I take a shower and have low volume showerheads.

I only use one light bulb at a time. I have my reefer full of containers of water that I remove as needed to add food. That keeps it from cooling air that's lost every time I open the door.

My A/C's are set at 78 degrees. I only use one at a time so no keeping rooms cold just for the sake of keeping them cold.

I wash 4 loads of clothes once a week. Most of my food is prepared on the gas stove.

It takes some effort, but I think the savings are well worth it.