Why the high electricity bills?

Sep 22, 2009
Mafioso legal.
They own the PLD. Recall a few years back, maybe you werent here or got your news from Everything Punta Cana, but the administration owed them millions of dollars. Not chelitos more, dólares. Murican money. Unpaid bills. They started a series of announced blackouts citing this debt. The folks were gonna pay for this. The voters who sold their ceds for quiniento and an 8 ball at the polls, they were going to pay for the govts electric bill

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Recent content showed them defending their position in terms of folks on non24 grid now on 24 hour due to soe mandate. They are skilled racketeers. Period
Thanks for your crystal clear messages. Now I also want to have one, cheers.
BBED87AC-F7C2-45F3-A06A-FCCBE1C715BD.png

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Brendan,

You should be able to see the wires coming out of your meter. If you follow them, they should lead to a circuit breaker within the meter box. You should be able to access your meter.

Based on your average usage numbers, looks like you got hit by the "double billing bug" that people are talking about. at 1500-2000 per month, I don't think you'll find any freeloaders on your meter. In my first house after moving here, I found a couple of street lights and a couple of people who connected their AC to my meter. It took me a few months to realize I was being billed way too much but one bill really drove the point home - $RD 17,000.00 that month. I got that fixed pronto.

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
They own the PLD. Recall a few years back, maybe you werent here or got your news from Everything Punta Cana, but the administration owed them millions of dollars. Not chelitos more, dólares. Murican money. Unpaid bills. They started a series of announced blackouts citing this debt. The folks were gonna pay for this. The voters who sold their ceds for quiniento and an 8 ball at the polls, they were going to pay for the govts electric bill
I'm north - Everything Cabarete
Brendan,

You should be able to see the wires coming out of your meter. If you follow them, they should lead to a circuit breaker within the meter box. You should be able to access your meter.

Based on your average usage numbers, looks like you got hit by the "double billing bug" that people are talking about. at 1500-2000 per month, I don't think you'll find any freeloaders on your meter. In my first house after moving here, I found a couple of street lights and a couple of people who connected their AC to my meter. It took me a few months to realize I was being billed way too much but one bill really drove the point home - $RD 17,000.00 that month. I got that fixed pronto.
Thanks mate.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Brendan, look at post #70 in this thread. If your invoices were estimated and not based on actual meter readings, you should have received a corrected invoice this month.

Post #39 explains how to determine if the invoice was estimated or not.

Btw, Edenorte invoices can be accessed online if you register here, also historical facturation.

Recommended

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Didn't the power company say they weren't cutting people's power for nonpayment ?

I seem to recall reading that

Well-- it might be a lie
My friend's was turned off until payment - and many more here in Cabrera

Apparently, in some cases, they can do that at the central office -
no more climbing the nearest pole to turn off/on

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Well-- it might be a lie

We're in POP, and I can confirm it is not a lie. We pay our bills in cash and have not paid our luz since March. When our March bill (in April) was about to be due, I called Edenorte, asking that if I don't pay it, will they come and cut our wires. The answer was an instant and a clear no - as long as Danilo has state of emergency declared, they will not do anything. This is also stated on Edenorte's website.

We verify our pending bills on a daily basis, and they are just fine. I don't enjoy having things pending though, so I'm looking forward to having our balance with Claro and Edenorte back in zero...

As with everything in the DR, it might well be that the policy of not cutting your wires is not followed everywhere, just reporting our case...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I live in Luperon , 5 bedroom house , one A/c refrigerator fans and lights .... Edenorte .... Minimum $10,000 DOP a month.
Yes several times a mysterious overcharge and non payment of last months bills........
Meter on post down the road,, suspect I am not only one on meter.... Edenorte refuses to install meter on my Property or house.
My friend pays an average of 1500 pesos for the same situation.... meter on house.

Once I argued the matter and my electricity was shut off.

Se La vie
your probably paying half the blocks lights bill ... if you wan to check if any one is stealing your power turn off the main breaker .. than walk to your meter and see if its still moving...if it's moving someone is tapping your meter......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
your probably paying half the blocks lights bill ... if you wan to check if any one is stealing your power turn off the main breaker .. than walk to your meter and see if its still moving...if it's moving someone is tapping your meter......
Do it at night and see who loses their lights.

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I just paid our light bill today. First time since this thread opened. I was expecting it to be high but it was only 692 DOP. We have a refrigerator and washing machine which drives our bill the most. We also have AC in my room but it's never used. I sleep fine with a fan as does my kid in his room (he doesn't have AC).

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I just paid our light bill today. First time since this thread opened. I was expecting it to be high but it was only 692 DOP. We have a refrigerator and washing machine which drives our bill the most. We also have AC in my room but it's never used. I sleep fine with a fan as does my kid in his room (he doesn't have AC).
I like your meter better let’s switch :)

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
"Smart Meters" installed several years ago and yes, they CAN AND DO manipulate your meters.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well-- it might be a lie

Many people have "smart" meters. I do. I can go online and check it.
One of the things Edenorte installed to thwart theft of services. Some claim manipulation.
I would never put that past them. I have never seen it happen with my service. But hey, it could be
just a little here and there.

I would guess they can be turned off easily enough, if they are smart enough.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Many people have "smart" meters. I do. I can go online and check it.
One of the things Edenorte installed to thwart theft of services. Some claim manipulation.
I would never put that past them. I have never seen it happen with my service. But hey, it could be
just a little here and there.

I would guess they can be turned off easily enough, if they are smart enough.

I have no idea if I have a smart meter or not. I'm guessing I do since they send me weekly consumption reports.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no idea if I have a smart meter or not. I'm guessing I do since they send me weekly consumption reports.
You can go online if you are with Edenorte. Then you can set up an online account using your account number and email and see if you can read your own meter on line. They also will send you an email with your bill attached to it.

Or you can post a picture of your meter and probably it will have the information necessary to see if it is a smart meter