Why to avoid American Airlines

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Always got a chuckle from of the use of "Duty Free" in this country. Like many other instances of adopted practices from abroad, they just don't get the concept or lose something in translation.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
No cash for AA payments at Puerto Plata International
American Airlines announced that as of 1 September 2018 it will no longer be accepting cash for transactions at the Gregorio Luperón International Airport in Puerto Plata, on the north coast. The airline had already implemented the measure at the Punta Cana International Airport. Only credit or debit cards are now being accepted for passengers to purchase airline tickets or pay luggage charges. The airline is implementing the measure in its airports around the world. It is already effective in Miami International, John F. Kennedy International, Curacao International, Los Angeles International and Dallas/Fort Worth International, among other airports the airline flies into. American has direct flights from Puerto Plata to Charlotte (CLT) and Miami (MIA).

****This is posted at the DR News****

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
No cash for AA payments at Puerto Plata International
American Airlines announced that as of 1 September 2018 it will no longer be accepting cash for transactions at the Gregorio Luperón International Airport in Puerto Plata, on the north coast. The airline had already implemented the measure at the Punta Cana International Airport. Only credit or debit cards are now being accepted for passengers to purchase airline tickets or pay luggage charges. The airline is implementing the measure in its airports around the world. It is already effective in Miami International, John F. Kennedy International, Curacao International, Los Angeles International and Dallas/Fort Worth International, among other airports the airline flies into. American has direct flights from Puerto Plata to Charlotte (CLT) and Miami (MIA).

****This is posted at the DR News****

I've traveled quite a bit in different countries, and personally I don't see what is the issue here. I would never ever travel relying on the one payment method, and I have no trouble accepting that different companies (not countries nor governments) apply different set of rules to their businesses and customer service.

I'm European, and based on what I've seen there as well, is a strong trend towards electronic payments, and using as little cash as possible. For any POS (Point of Sale), not dealing with cash is not just a safety issue, the cash also need to be transported away from the POS safely (where as credit card receipts have no monetary value, so you just put them in your pocket or somewhere and leave your station with peace of mind...), taken to a bank or other financial institution, counted and accounted in bookkeeping. All this costs to the company, so if the majority of customers prefer electronic payments, no wonder if the company is hesitating to continue cash operations.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I always stop at the duty-free just to make a point. They price the bottle as $63 so I tender 63 pesos. Many of the newer signs say USD in small type now, but some do not, so I make a point of this every time. The $ symbol on Dominican soil means Dominican pesos.

Time to change your nick...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Perhaps it has to do with the war on terrorism, security and safety. Paying cash means no records to be able to backtrack to anyone specifically as it otherwise would be the case by accepting payments with a credit card.

Honestly, the end is near and bills/cash as form of payment is pretty much abolished already. We the people wanted convenience, quickness, efficiency, and easy of records keeping, therefore all of these is provided by credit cards.

We got what we wanted in a sense.

It also has to do with the abuse of power by a government, imagine the turn key abuse that could happen with a tyrannical government, if all cash transactions were disallowed.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
It prevents theft and a host of other problems.

A good sound business practice.

This is the end of the road of things to complain about.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
The civil right is "freedom of movement", but that does not mean one has the right to "travel by airline". Air travel involves a contract between the traveler and the private carrier, generally with liabilities spelled out in the Warsaw Convention. But as many countries no-fly-lists illustrate, air travel can be prohibited even when a person is otherwise still free to move.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
People want to blame the government or corporations for this, but consumers are partly to blame. A local "general store" that makes $4 sandwiches frequently gets stuck with a sandwich because they DO NOT take credit cards and the customers do not have $4 in cash. As others mentioned, when you have to balance the cash register at the end of the flight and take cash to the bank the next day it is just one more expense and inconvenience.

I have volunteered to pay on my credit card for a sandwich or drink for young unaccompanied Dominicans who had no credit cards. Flying is bad enough without having to sit there starving or coughing from a dry throat. If you get stuck with no cash, ask around, someone will want the points on their credit card. As far as American Airlines, they are terrible. No tv screens, and no charging ports. So you have to download an app, then watch the movie on your PC or phone. So you arrive at your destination after watching a tiny movie with a sore arm, sore neck and a dead phone.

In flight there would be different issues. A flight from Johannesburg to New York and making a stop in Cape Verde would have to what, keep a cash drawer for all three currencies?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This is another.... bash what I don't like … thread. Grumpy old broke guys.

American has been good for us. We travel all over the world and American has always been tops. Just going up to the check in in POP we are greeted and hugged. Really. In the Club they are great. We get off a plane in POP, we see employees doing other things and they stop and greet us. Even walk us thru Passport control first in line.

Same in Miami and other airports.

No one likes the new Max8 on the MIA/POP run. The attendants and crew don't either. But really? It's 1.5 hour flight! Get a grip!

Instead of being that grumpy old man in flip flops and demanding? Never mind. Please keep moving to the back of the plane.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
JD. this thread reminds me of the sovereign citizen types who want to pay their taxes in pennies and nickels. It's legal tender. says so right on the money. arrgh.

I fail to see the humor in this .. Cash is legal tender for all debts , public and private... denying TRAVEL is a violation of your civil rights .. or are we now officially saying that ANY person who does not have a Debit Credit Card is NOT a HUMAN BEING any longer , and can rightfully be DENIED the right to visit their loved ones by plane. ?
not really a laughing matter ...

I very much agree with this. I flew today to Canada on west jet and we don’t have a normal credit card just the popular debit Visa thing that doesn’t work in a lot of places so I kind of panicked for a moment in Toronto when I didn’t know if I had to pay there for my bagage to Vancouver as well.
I will have to ask a friend or family member to pay for my bags back I am assuming. Annoying to not have the choice although I HATED using so much cash when I moved to the DR. Now I’m used to it I guess...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is another.... bash what I don't like … thread. Grumpy old broke guys.

American has been good for us. We travel all over the world and American has always been tops. Just going up to the check in in POP we are greeted and hugged. Really. In the Club they are great. We get off a plane in POP, we see employees doing other things and they stop and greet us. Even walk us thru Passport control first in line.

Same in Miami and other airports.

No one likes the new Max8 on the MIA/POP run. The attendants and crew don't either. But really? It's 1.5 hour flight! Get a grip!

Instead of being that grumpy old man in flip flops and demanding? Never mind. Please keep moving to the back of the plane.

Several other US airlines as well as many foreign carriers have taken delivery of the 737 MAX and all are receiving complaints. It's not just a bunch of grumpy old broke men in flip-flops coming to the DR that are complaining about this aircraft cabin design.

The cushions on the seats and seat backs are about half as thick as they used to be and the "clam shell" design has got to be one of the worst ergonomically designed seats yet. No lumbar support at all.

My back was killing me. Couldn't wait to get off! And on the MIA/POP route, your paying premium prices for a discount carrier cabin.