WIFI, Routers, Concrete Walls

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You place the second one in any electrical outlet you choose, and it broadcasts a strong wifi signal from there.

In your case, you connect the "main" unit to your router via ethernet, then plug the "main" unit into an electrical outlet. The remote unit would then be plugged into any electrical outlet upstairs. Voila! Wifi there!

The connecting wires are your houses electrical system.

And if you have 220 AC at your house, don´t both units need to be on the same 110 AC side of the power coming into your house?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And if you have 220 AC at your house, don´t both units need to be on the same 110 AC side of the power coming into your house?
The 110 circuits in the house with standard (not 220) outlets, the same circuits as where the main unit is plugged in.

Seriously, powerline is an excellent, simple, inexpensive option for a broader wifi signal in a larger concrete house.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The 110 circuits in the house with standard (not 220) outlets, the same circuits as where the main unit is plugged in.

Seriously, powerline is an excellent, simple, inexpensive option for a broader wifi signal in a larger concrete house.

hmmm, so if the main unit is plugged into an outlet on circuit breaker #2 but the electrical outlet upstairs is connected to circuit breaker #4 it won't work?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Yes, I know they are 110 volt units, my point is for those people who have 220v (110v-Neutral-110v) available.

I think you will need both units on the same side of the 220v coming into the house otherwise it may not work properly.

Not all 110v outlets in the house will be on the same electrical side of the wiring.

Don

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, I know they are 110 volt units, my point is for those people who have 220v (110v-Neutral-110v) available.

I think you will need both units on the same side of the 220v coming into the house otherwise it may not work properly.

Not all 110v outlets in the house will be on the same electrical side of the wiring.

Don

Now I read you loud and clear. At first I thought you were referring to European 220v but that is not the case. Your question and mine and basically the same. Do the units need to be on the same circuit breaker or as long as they are on circuits on the same phase they will work.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
To "communicate" the units have to be on the same circuit.

OK, so both electrical outlets must be on the same circuit (same circuit breaker).

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port and 4-Port Network Adapter Set (PLSK400)

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powe...1492966106&sr=1-11&keywords=powerline+adapter

When all else fails read the directions, LOL.

eb911i.jpg

Now this particular setup appears you will not have Wi-Fi connections from the remote unit.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Does anyone know if the modems used by the main providers here (claro, orange, tricom) used both the 2.5ghz and 5ghz spectrum or just one?  What modem can I buy if I wanted to use my own if I was using Claro as my provider? 2.4 ghz travel best through walls correct?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
There are remote units with wifi function (+ethernet) and without wifi (only ethernet) available. Check the links to the TP Link units I have which I posted in this thread.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I use the medialink router which i connected to the Claro one (it works with the Tricom smartbox too).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Basically I have a setup as follows:

Upstairs in my office I have the two connections (Claro and Tricom). From the modem (in my case the tricom smartbox) goes the cable to the tp link unit plugged in into one outlet.

Downstairs I have in the living room a TP link unit (ethernet) in which the medialink router is plugged in and a playstation. I still had the router not really needing it but this distributrs the wifi in kitchen and living room.

In the bedroom and our boys room I have each a tp lnk unit with wifi function + ethernet.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
hmmm, so if the main unit is plugged into an outlet on circuit breaker #2 but the electrical outlet upstairs is connected to circuit breaker #4 it won't work?
No. The 110 bus. The individual circuit/breaker has no effect.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No. The 110 bus. The individual circuit/breaker has no effect.

That settles it for me. So it just becomes a matter of trying different outlets in the house until you find one on the same phase. .................... gracias

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone know if the modems used by the main providers here (claro, orange, tricom) used both the 2.5ghz and 5ghz spectrum or just one?  What modem can I buy if I wanted to use my own if I was using Claro as my provider? 2.4 ghz travel best through walls correct?

Most, if not all routers, use the 2.4Ghz band.

You will need a Modem/Router that is ADSL2+ for Claro.

I bought from Cecomsa a TP-Link TD-8951ND because I got tired of Claro´s restricted software in their Modem/Routers.

The TD-8951ND works great for giving you access to all features of the unit, BUT, the wi-fi is not that great in concrete houses. I ran an Ethernet cable to the other end of the house. From there I used an Amped 10000G high power wi-fi router to get full coverage at that side of the house. From there (2nd router), I ran a cable to my 2nd house and installed a Cisco router to have full wi-fi coverage in that (small) house.

I recently (Like NOW, currently in progress!) removed the 2nd router (Amped 10000G), replaced it with a D-Link 4 port switch, added a Linksys WRT1900ACS router at the site of the TP-Link router, but only after drilling a hole in the wall and placing the Linksys on the opposite side of the wall. It now gives me full in-house coverage as the location is a hallway that is open through to the other side of the house. I turned off the wi-fi in the TP-Link ADSL2+ modem/router.

The Amped 10000G is a high power 600 mW router and concrete walls defeat the range just like the rest of the routers.

None of the router´s wi-fi I have used/tried are much good getting through concrete walls and ceiling.
It´s a waste of time trying.

Location, location, location.....
extremely important in this country with concrete homes.​

The cell phones switch routers automatically when going between houses.

Getting a ADSL2+ modem only would have been great!
Finding one in the D.R. - Impossible?

The Linksys WRT190ACS specs

Wi-Fi Technology: Dual-band Gigabit, 600+1300 Mbps

Network Standards:
802.11b
802.11a/g
802.11n
802.11ac

Wi-Fi Speed: AC1900 (N600 + AC1300)
Wi-Fi Bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (simultaneous dual band)

Great for VPN and possible to select which connections use the VPN and which do not.
The Linksys WRT1200AC is good also at about half the price of the WRT1900ACS (Check the specs).

Don