WIFI, Routers, Concrete Walls

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My through the wall WRT1900ACS router.
Thus getting a stronger signal in the rest of the house.

Why attenuate the signal at the source if you can avoid it?
I don´t need the strongest wi-fi signal next to the router.

My computer room is located at one end of the house.

Only three wires necessary through the wall.

(1) Power.

(2) Ethernet cable from Modem to the WRT1900ACS router.

(3) Ethernet cable from WRT1900ACS router to multi-port Ethernet switch on computer side.

2r4qvjl.jpg

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Most, if not all routers, use the 2.4Ghz band.

You will need a Modem/Router that is ADSL2+ for Claro.

I bought from Cecomsa a TP-Link TD-8951ND because I got tired of Claro´s restricted software in their Modem/Routers.

The TD-8951ND works great for giving you access to all features of the unit, BUT, the wi-fi is not that great in concrete houses. I ran an Ethernet cable to the other end of the house. From there I used an Amped 10000G high power wi-fi router to get full coverage at that side of the house. From there (2nd router), I ran a cable to my 2nd house and installed a Cisco router to have full wi-fi coverage in that (small) house.

I recently (Like NOW, currently in progress!) removed the 2nd router (Amped 10000G), replaced it with a D-Link 4 port switch, added a Linksys WRT1900ACS router at the site of the TP-Link router, but only after drilling a hole in the wall and placing the Linksys on the opposite side of the wall. It now gives me full in-house coverage as the location is a hallway that is open through to the other side of the house. I turned off the wi-fi in the TP-Link ADSL2+ modem/router.

The Amped 10000G is a high power 600 mW router and concrete walls defeat the range just like the rest of the routers.

None of the router´s wi-fi I have used/tried are much good getting through concrete walls and ceiling.
It´s a waste of time trying.

Location, location, location.....
extremely important in this country with concrete homes.​

The cell phones switch routers automatically when going between houses.

Getting a ADSL2+ modem only would have been great!
Finding one in the D.R. - Impossible?

The Linksys WRT190ACS specs

Wi-Fi Technology: Dual-band Gigabit, 600+1300 Mbps

Network Standards:
802.11b
802.11a/g
802.11n
802.11ac

Wi-Fi Speed: AC1900 (N600 + AC1300)
Wi-Fi Bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (simultaneous dual band)

Great for VPN and possible to select which connections use the VPN and which do not.
The Linksys WRT1200AC is good also at about half the price of the WRT1900ACS (Check the specs).

Don

Thanks, this helps. No matter how strong a router maybe, getting through thick concrete walls will be the main issue 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks, this helps. No matter how strong a router maybe, getting through thick concrete walls will be the main issue 

The Amped 10000G ìs a High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Router.

It´s claim to fame is:
Great for providing Wi-Fi coverage in large homes, open spaces, backyards, warehouses and offices.

The Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Router provides long range, high performance wireless Internet access over extreme distances. The R10000G is equipped with advanced dual 2.4GHz wireless amplifiers and detachable high gain antennas to provide up to 10,000 sq ft of high performance Wi-Fi coverage.

2isv045.jpg

Evidently it was never tested in D.R. homes, still gets blocked by the concrete walls.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That settles it for me. So it just becomes a matter of trying different outlets in the house until you find one on the same phase. .................... gracias
All 110 outlets have the same kind of plug. I'll bet every outlet in your house will work, unless you have two separate 110 busses/panels.

For concrete structures, a simple powerline wifi system is the way to go.

cambot

Jul 2, 2017
Another option that would work with concrete, brick, etc. is WiFi over Coax, where you turn your coaxial cables into antennas. So if your router has detachable antenna ports and you have some unused cable outlets, you can distribute WiFi throughout the house. Coaxifi on eBay looks like the least expensive option (actually, the only option that does 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz AFAIK).

I know some people with apartments that have really thick, bomb shelter-style concrete walls, and WiFi over coax is the only way for them to get the 5 GHz signal outside the room with the router. Plus, that's cheaper than buying a second router or a bunch of extenders.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Another option that would work with concrete, brick, etc. is WiFi over Coax, where you turn your coaxial cables into antennas. So if your router has detachable antenna ports and you have some unused cable outlets, you can distribute WiFi throughout the house. Coaxifi on eBay looks like the least expensive option (actually, the only option that does 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz AFAIK).

I know some people with apartments that have really thick, bomb shelter-style concrete walls, and WiFi over coax is the only way for them to get the 5 GHz signal outside the room with the router. Plus, that's cheaper than buying a second router or a bunch of extenders.

Hmmm.. Are you the only seller of that stuff on eBay?

Indeed to the non-RF people you'd just think that would work. And it does BUT there will be almost no signal coming through that cable.

The Wifi signal will be attenuated so much in that COAX cable that it will defeat the whole purpose of having an antenna on the roof. The same antenna directly on the router might even get better coverage.

Why is that ?

TV COAX cables are not designed for 2.5 GHz signals, TV signals go up to 1 GHz and even at that frequency you can expect a lot of attenuation.

TV COAX cables usually have a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms, Wifi antennas routers etc. all use 50 ohms. There are no exceptions to that.

So no, in practice this will not work at all.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
you can take it around your property for a solid wifi signal wherever there is an outlet the main unit is plugged into.

I use them too. They work great. But remember that they work only if plugged in the same circuit as the main transmitter.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I bought the TP Link AC1200. Turned it into an Access Point and it covers the entire house. I did put it in the hall way, so now I have a long Cat5 Cable running from the modem. It has a Guest feature on it so I can make a network for guest without given out my password all the time.

Still might buy a Power line adapter to eliminate the cable running along the floor.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I use them too. They work great. But remember that they work only if plugged in the same circuit as the main transmitter.

Same circuit gives you the best results, but the instructions say as long as it's all in the same breaker box you're good to go.

I installed mine (TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit) on two different circuits in my place, and it works like a charm.

Jul 16, 2017
All 110 outlets have the same kind of plug. I'll bet every outlet in your house will work, unless you have two separate 110 busses/panels.

For concrete structures, a simple powerline wifi system is the way to go.

Even with separate panels it would still work, as long as both panels are serving the same house.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Could you more than 2???? Like if you wanted one in each bedroom? Thanks.
I asked Linksys that question and was told the devices are technically mated, and that other distal units would not be compatible.

However, two systems can share the same circuitry.

Unless bedrooms are far apart you should not have any problem, one or two close by walls have little effect. I have a unit in our bedroom and can receive a strong signal through two walls 25 feet apart, or through a floor 15 feet apart, with little degradation in speed.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
For a duplex with a studio near the balcony...one in the studio and the mate in the last bedroom, then do same upstairs, one in the master and one near the terrace for complete coverage? The first one is wired to router correct? If I did that set up, I will need  a second router or a moca device running through the coax and the primary linksys connected to the Moca on the second floor so that the mating unit can be in the master...yes?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
For a duplex with a studio near the balcony...one in the studio and the mate in the last bedroom, then do same upstairs, one in the master and one near the terrace for complete coverage? The first one is wired to router correct? If I did that set up, I will need  a second router or a moca device running through the coax and the primary linksys connected to the Moca on the second floor so that the mating unit can be in the master...yes?
Every main unit has to be wired to the router.

And unless you have a massive structure you may be talking overkill.

One unit with one extender works great in out 3500sf, two story concrete house.