will expats leave DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The oldest wants to go back, never changed and he's the only one with (slight) memories of living there (was four when we left). The second and third say they want to live in Holland but I know for the second one it's going to be hard. She's the most Dominican of the children. Loves to talk (and hardly speaks Dutch). Very close to her grandmother here who spoils her.

What worries me here is their education, what worries me there is how they will adapt to Dutch education.

My daughter was 9 last year when I returned to Holland and she's real Latina, now she's fluent in Dutch and she has adapted very well, better than I have.
Kids will adapt very easy so what's the problem?
I miss the Latin life and even though I'm not really happy here, for my daughter it was the best thing I could do so I say fukk it!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Life is Cheap.

...every morning, i stop by my favorite caseta on the POP malecon, to have me a cup of tea and a glass of oj, with a danish or some such thing.

Oh, yes... the good life. :bunny:
Maybe sitting under a tree?

But then, Esteban with his patana comes along... :eek:

http://almomento.net/azua-patana-mata-a-tres-hombres-que-jugaban-domino-debajo-de-un-arbol/129640

NOBODY can believe that it is cheaper to live in NA than it is to live here.

Indeed.
Life is cheap here...
You see, money is not everything. ;)

donP

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I wish that were the case. I gave up a long time ago looking for things I want from the states. I have quite a few friends who come down here frequently - I have them bring them here for me.

I'm talking about a lot of everyday common items. The last one was looking for a replacement for a cracked/faded tail light assembly on my Toyota Corolla. A TOYOTA COROLLA! Not a Buick or Lamborghini. After seven repuestos between Gasper Hernandez and Sosua, I finally found one in Puerto Plata.

In Miami, that would have been a five minute drive to any one of 3 major auto supply parts store. Even easier, I could have odered it on line from Amazon and had it delivered free in 3 days right to my doorstep!!!

As you can see, I'm still in that "blending in" phase.

agreed.
by driving around to search for such kinda item, i would get frustrated, too, i would get darn MAAAAD!.
but that's what i mean by not blended in, yet.
if i need any kind of piece for my car,
i call my dominican buddy in Higuey, he does a couple phonecalls to find out where the piece is available, and organizes that it get's shipped to me by public bus.
a couple hrs later the next bus coming into town, drops it off at the Pescaderia at the entrance to our property, the watchy brings it upstairs to me or the wife, all is fine.
you don't need to know everything by yourself,
but you need to know people in the Know about certain things,
like to have a buddy who owns a Taller and thru that knows all the part sellers around town.

Mike

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Live like the average Dominican lives in the Dominican Republic and the cost of daily living here is very cheap.
To live like the average American or European lives in America or Europe, here in the Dominican Republic, the cost is much higher.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The oldest wants to go back, never changed and he's the only one with (slight) memories of living there (was four when we left). The second and third say they want to live in Holland but I know for the second one it's going to be hard. She's the most Dominican of the children. Loves to talk (and hardly speaks Dutch). Very close to her grandmother here who spoils her.
What worries me here is their education, what worries me there is how they will adapt to Dutch education.

it would be a breeze. kids adapt very easily. it may be harder on you/wife.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Welcome or not?

Many expats here feel that they are not welcome and miss protection by the law.
I have heard that in Panama foreigners are respected and welcome.
{The murder rate is much lower, too.}
Any 1st hand experience on this?

donP

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

donP

Grew up New Orleans, I know what a murder rate is. I?ve lived all over this island and not once has someone pulled a gun on me or shot at me for looking at them the wrong way. The only time I have felt threatened living here is when I heard there is a hurricane in the Atlantic.

Never been to Panama but if what you say about how they treat foreigners is true, I?d like to visit there some day.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
OP is long gone, y'all.

He'll be back sometime next month for yet another hissy fit about how All Dominicans Are Eee-vil.

Jun 18, 2007

donP

Yes, I have first hand experience. I lived 3 times in Panama for a total of 12 years and I must say that very rarely one hears that a foreigner is murdered in Panama and in the rare cases one was murdered it was because he was involved in the drug trade. As in any other latin countries they also have "gringo" prices but the foreigner in general is very well respected.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Live like the average Dominican lives in the Dominican Republic and the cost of daily living here is very cheap.
To live like the average American or European lives in America or Europe, here in the Dominican Republic, the cost is much higher.

I often see people saying on this forum that it is expensive to live in the DR, but I am currently back in the UK for a short while and find everything here extremely expensive by comparison. The only thing I see cheaper in the UK high cost things like cars.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, I have first hand experience. I lived 3 times in Panama for a total of 12 years and I must say that very rarely one hears that a foreigner is murdered in Panama and in the rare cases one was murdered it was because he was involved in the drug trade. As in any other latin countries they also have "gringo" prices but the foreigner in general is very well respected.

Is it not true that the Canal district, especially Colon is extremely dangerous , with lots of crime and murder. Any where you live, what crime you are exposed to and potentially affected by is dependent on where you go, what time you go there, whom you hang with, ....etc. All I can say is with an uptick in the drug scene, THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS AN INCREASE IN CRIME.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Is it not true that the Canal district, especially Colon is extremely dangerous , with lots of crime and murder. Any where you live, what crime you are exposed to and potentially affected by is dependent on where you go, what time you go there, whom you hang with, ....etc. All I can say is with an uptick in the drug scene, THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS AN INCREASE IN CRIME.

big Cities, Drugs, Poverty.
they are a Brotherhood which always sticks together, everywhere.
of course your basic is right, and accounts for every country of the Globe.
frequent the wrong places at the wrong time hanging out with the wrong company,
means you bring yourself in high danger.
that's the case at certain areas also in every 1st world mayor city,
heck, on the german countryside we have in small cities such problem zones todays, the places which been 100% save and fine when i grew up there, todays even the police patrols avoid the same areas in the middle of the night.
that goes for many areas in the DR, and even that i never visited Panama, i can imagine such to be the case for certain areas of their bigger cities, too.
and once a boom starts to populate former low density populated areas, all that negative waves comes in the wake of that "development".
i experienced exactly that in my good 20 years here in Punta Cana,
from a almost "empty" quiet countryside on the Oceanfront back in the earlier 90's,
to a hard to control large "Citylike" area without any control over the rise of population,
bringing all the bad shyt in it's Wake of "Development".

Mike

Jun 18, 2007

The Canal district has never been dangerous because it was part of the concession held by the States. Colon has some parts that can be dangerous because it is ghetto. I've always felt very safe there and I love the chaos. A city of +250.000 people who just recently had the first traffic light installed, go figure ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Question by the OP:

will expats leave DR?

One thing for certain OP left DR1 or this thread.

CLOSED!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.