Will the RD$15 billion computer purchase become the Punta Fulcar of the Abinader administration?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Photo: CDN

The ruling Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) is the majority in Congress after winning the most seats in both the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies. This majority gave the party the vote to pass another 45-day extension of the National State of Emergency. The argument is that the measures are needed to combat Covid-19. Yet, this is the same political party that when opposition in Congress said that the National Health Law had dispositions to adequately deal with the coronavirus, making continuing the state of emergency unnecessary.

The National State of Emergency comes in handy because it reduces requirements and simplifies government procurement. Now, the Abinader administration announces it is going ahead with the RD$15 billion purchase of equipment for the online programs implemented by the Ministry of Education for public schools nationwide. The acquisition...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Lobotomy Surgeon
May 6, 2016
Let's see the school year is off to a dismal start, actually it really hasn't started for the majority, because either they have no internet, or device to connect or the school that is supposed to send out lessons is failing to do so.

So as we turn into 2021 I am guessing even if they had $15 billion of laptops in hand (which they don't) it would take at least 3 months to get them into homes,, another couple months for internet in many areas and by then the entire school year is over.

Just get the vaccines distributed to teachers and administrators and reopen the darn schools. Quit pretending "I have a plan for that" like typical politicians.........they never really do have a working plan.

I can not imagine another school year lost next fall.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I second the notion to get everyone vaccinated including the children, if the vaccine is deemed safe and effective for children.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
A laptop computer could have a lifespan of three years. And then what? Another RD$15 billion purchase?

What about the Internet coverage? I think this should be better thought out.