Will you accept the vaccine made available in the D.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Which ever way you look at it, the arrival of vaccines has to be celebrated. Purely for the fact that it shows a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

More people are suffering from Covid fatigue than Covid itself.

A small group of extremely clever people have worked tirelessly, day and night to develop a way out of this pandemic. I don't think it's fair to demonise these scientists who have developed something unprecedented. I find it hard to believe that your average bio-chemist working on a vaccine has a hidden agenda to harm the people.

A standard vaccine takes years to develop and test. But what about the quantum leaps in technology and scientific methods? Surely they must have aided in the rapid development. They also need to be approved by independent agencies in every country. No organisation in the World would be able to coordinate a Worldwide cooperation where all countries' governments approve a vaccine if it didn't work or was harmful. Some people have the imagination that some sort of James Bond villain is orchestrating a kind of conspiracy or New World Order.

Vaccines have been around since the 1700s. They have saved billions of lives. I'm really not interested in hearing someone's opinion based on their ability to navigate a search engine.

The question remains how this will be mandated. Each country is starting to indicate what they intend to do to it's citizens or visitors. At the moment it looks like everyone will have a choice, which should be upheld. But if everyone refuses to accept the vaccine, then we will endure this pandemic for a lot longer. People will continue to have their lives and liberties restricted and more people will die.

If you don't want the vaccine, fine, don't get it. But don't go broadcasting false and harmful information that could undermine the science behind it.

I work in the aviation industry and every one of my colleagues would take the jab to get our planes back in the air. Being unemployed since March hasn't been easy!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With a part of the AZ vaccine order filled in February and vaccinations starting in March, by the end of 2021 there should be some positive effects in the DR over the course of 2021,

Maybe in 2022 things will get to the new normal.

Reactions: zoomzx11

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
With a part of the AZ vaccine order filled in February and vaccinations starting in March, by the end of 2021 there should be some positive effects in the DR over the course of 2021,

I was reading up on the AZ Vaccine and was taken back when it stated that the Vaccine is only effective for four (4) months.
That requires yet another strategic plan to vaccinate the population within a month to keep the virus at bay. Then again those coming here would or should comply with the DR protocols... Wow!
This is going to be complicated, very complicated.
I never heard of a 4 month Vaccine immunity program before.......
Oh well, I have again lived another day... that's a bonus.
Russell

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
AstraZeneca shares fell after the drugmaker announced efficacy results for its Covid-19 vaccine that were below those reported by rivals Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna. The shares ended the day 3.8% lower at £80.

Results from the phase 3 trial showed the vaccine developed with the University of Oxford can protect 70.4% of people from becoming ill and, in a surprise result, up to 90% if a lower first dose is used.

This is lower than the 95% efficacy reported for vaccines developed by the US drugmaker Pfizer and the German biotech BioNTech, and the US biotech Moderna. Analysts said the AstraZeneca/Oxford results left some unanswered questions.

Maxim Jacobs, of the investment research firm Edison Group, said: “It’s not normal for there to be lower efficacy for a higher dose, it can happen but it’s rare. There are some potential explanations, such as the vector immune response, but it’s hard to know without more data.”

James Bevan, the chief investment officer at the fund manager CCLA, told Sky News the efficacy data had been “rather less than had been anticipated by the market”.

AstraZeneca, which is Britain’s biggest pharmaceutical firm, also reiterated that it would not profit from the vaccine during the current pandemic – until at least July – by pricing “at cost”, about $3 (£2.25) to $5 a dose. This is far below Pfizer’s $19.50 and Moderna’s $25 to $37 a dose.

Neil Wilson, the chief market analyst at the trading platform Markets.com, said: “AstraZeneca shares have had a very good run this year so there is always a bit of ‘sell the news’ to this kind of thing unless it is better than expected.”

Sign up to the daily Business Today email or follow Guardian Business on Twitter at @BusinessDesk
The shares slipped further after an analyst at the US investment bank SVB Leerink, Geoffrey Porges, cast doubt over whether the vaccine would be licensed in the US. Porges argued that the design of the studies did not meet the norms of the Food and Drug Administration for the representation of minorities, severe cases, previously infected individuals and the elderly.

In response, Ruud Dobber, the head of AstraZeneca’s biopharmaceuticals division, told Bloomberg TV: “In the US, we are running a trial with more than 30,000 participants, so let’s be patient to see how the FDA will react before making such harsh statements.”

Emily Field, the head of European pharmaceutical research at Barclays bank, said with the trial results out of the way, investors could concentrate on AstraZeneca’s strengths such as cancer treatment, via its oncology unit. “This will allow investor focus to return to Astra’s innovative oncology and other programmes and the company continues to offer one of the best earnings growth rates across EU pharma,” she said.

Which way will the wind blow tomorrow? Is it really 70%? 80% or 90% effective? I guess the half dose then full dose works better???

The CDC stated a while ago that even 50% would be good. It is for a batting average in baseball, but...

If the US doesn't approve the AstraZeneca vaccine, there would be more for the DR.
Want to save a buck on your health ?
Russia "says" its vaccine is 95% and less than $10 US.
What could go wrong?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am happy to afford you that courtesy, but I was responding to a poster who wants to commit bribery and falsify documents in order to avoid the vax.

Boy are you even doing any research ?

1955 - Cutter Polio vaccine actually caused a few hundred to contract polio, including my cousin
1976 - Sine Flu and Guillain-Barre
1998 - Hepatitis B vaccination linked to multiple sclerosis (MS)
1998 - RotaShield vaccine, vaccine to prevent rotavirus gastroenteritis. Some infants developed intussusception (rare type of bowel obstruction)
2017 - Vaccine for Dengue made the disease much worse
2019 - Vaccine for H1N1 caused narcolepsy in may patients

And there are others.............................

And then of course there was Thalidomide

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You drag us way off topic.
You do not the understand the differences between a vaccine and a medication.

Stick with what you know like cheapest take out Chinese food, drink specials for the early drunks and how much you tip service people in Sosua and how they respect you.
Much as I enjoy our conversations I am not responding to off topic craziness.
Make an effort to type on topic craziness and we will get along fine.

Reactions: bronzeallspice

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

I am looking forward to reading the order of immunizations.
Is the DR so small with plenty of vaccine available that they will just release it willy nilly?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You drag us way off topic.
You do not the understand the differences between a vaccine and a medication.

Stick with what you know like cheapest take out Chinese food, drink specials for the early drunks and how much you tip service people in Sosua and how they respect you.
Much as I enjoy our conversations I am not responding to off topic craziness.
Make an effort to type on topic craziness and we will get along fine.
Why do you think there are so many anti-vaccination people? Perhaps due to side effects of some vaccines, some proven and some conspiracy theories.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I can’t see how they can make the vaccination mandatory.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They could prevent you from entering places without a certificate of vaccination. I'm not saying they should, just saying they could. But then there are those who would like to make fakes of any such documentation.

Reactions: aarhus

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I kind of feel the same way but first I'd being doing it for me and my family, the benefit to the general public is a secondary benefit I fully support.
I’m going to buy blow gun and sit in the bushes, inoculate every one of you wearing crocs with socks and blinding shirts...if I have vaccines left , gringos on mopeds...full disclosure due to monetary issues my vaccine will come from Haiti...

Reactions: malko

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is ENTIRELY in the realm of possibility.....
for any or many public gatherings - be it a flight, a concert , a movie.... you name it

Big

Apr 24, 2019
like nansanpedro said, if you don't want the vax don't get it. There are a few experts on here that think they know more about medicine and what is good for you than a Physician and insist on insulting opposing views. Most people here that were in the service know what its like to get shot up with countless vaccines and not have a choice. Having a choice now is a personal choice between the person his doctor and almighty. As I have said I will get the vax, thats my choice but if someone else does not get the vax for whatever reason that's his business. Many of the people that are so stressed about getting the vax would probably do better by losing some weight and getting some vigorous exercise. The vaccine will not replace a healthy lifestyle

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some countries will probably make it mandatory.
I suspect some airlines and cruise lines will also make it mandatory. Ah, I see Qantas is the first. The rest most certainly will follow.

The AZ vaccine is cheaper than the Russian one, at least so far, for someone who wants to save a buck ,

I did not, however, yet see that the AZ vaccine is only good for 4 months. That renders it very much less useful if true.
All the information I am seeing so far is that it is too early to tell how long any of the vaccines last. Not enough time
has gone by to know this.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No one really knows for sure most things related to any of these vaccines. Best to wait a few months after release before taking one.

Status
Not open for further replies.