Will you accept the vaccine made available in the D.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If the vaccine was being manufactured here I'd be concerned. But as long as the storage & transportation requirements are do-able here. I don't see a problem with a foreign made vaccine. The govt really would like this covid thing to go away and vaccinating everyone one the island may be a good way to to make significant progress in that direction. They should be making plans and announcements for how all this will work now - well ahead of time.

I wouldn't be concerned if it was manufactured here. Most of the big pharmaceutical companies here are just as competent to produce medications as anywhere else in the world.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I doubt expats will need to make the decision to take the vaccine or not in the DR.

When every Dominican who wants the shot has gotten it the DR might offer up what is left, if anything.

To expats it will not be free and and could be very expensive.
Add in a very long wait to get to you at the end of the line.

Expats who want the vaccine sooner rather than much later will need to go back to their country of origin.

Resistance to masks and the other anti virus behaviors will find even less support as those who receive the vaccine will immediately think they are safe and no longer need to be cautious.

The good news for the anti vaxxers and deniers you do not need to do a thing.

Uncertain if there will be a cash pay under the table available as is the usual case here.

Just my guess as to how it will work out.
Even with the vaccine, I will still be in favor of wearing mask around the sick and elderly.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I doubt expats will need to make the decision to take the vaccine or not in the DR.

When every Dominican who wants the shot has gotten it the DR might offer up what is left, if anything.

Expats who want the vaccine sooner rather than much later will need to go back to their country of origin.

Resistance to masks and the other anti virus behaviors will find even less support as those who receive the vaccine will immediately think they are safe and no longer need to be cautious.

Uncertain if there will be a cash pay under the table available as is the usual case here.

I guess that depends on what type of expat you are. If you are a legal resident here and have local health insurance I would imagine its possible.

Reactions: PCMike and JD Jones

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Be interesting to see.
If the government is buying the vaccines its reasonable to expect first will be health care providers then the people with pre existing conditions, residents of nursing homes then the old followed by the elderly then into the general population perhaps in age order.
Only my opinion but I never saw the DR as valuing the expat community, especially if they see them as having the opportunity to go back to country of origin for the vaccination.

Where would you place legal residents residents in the pecking order?

As far as health insurance it would require the government to pass control over who gets the vaccination out of their hands.
Not sure they want to do this in any fashion that might mean a resident non Dominican would be in the line ahead of Dominican citizens.
I would expect the government to make certain that all Dominicans who want the vaccine get it first.
I expect the vast majority of Dominicans will gladly line up for the vaccine.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
yes I would think the insurance companies here would get involved with it. That is how the system works here I think.

Reactions: zoomzx11 and PCMike

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It depends.

It is going to take years to make enough vaccines and deploy them throughout the world.
Experts say about 3 years.

The alternative is government lockdowns/curfews and other violations of human rights.

Everything in life is a trade off. Anti vaxers won't get infected if enough people get a vaccine for the world to reach herd immunity.

I suspect CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay.
...Windy you are right about here and everywhere... I caught H1N1 about 6 years ago in Minnesota USA..thats a strain of the virus from the pandemic of 1918.. a hospital only 3 blocks away gave me a anti viral as I felt life being sucked out of me. Put me in line for the Vaccine...........Doc.........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

I have heard rumors about the USA embassy in Santo Domingo...making the vaccine available to American citizens here....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Be interesting to see.
If the government is buying the vaccines its reasonable to expect first will be health care providers then the people with pre existing conditions, residents of nursing homes then the old followed by the elderly then into the general population perhaps in age order.
Only my opinion but I never saw the DR as valuing the expat community, especially if they see them as having the opportunity to go back to country of origin for the vaccination.

Where would you place legal residents residents in the pecking order?

As far as health insurance it would require the government to pass control over who gets the vaccination out of their hands.
Not sure they want to do this in any fashion that might mean a resident non Dominican would be in the line ahead of Dominican citizens.
I would expect the government to make certain that all Dominicans who want the vaccine get it first.
I expect the vast majority of Dominicans will gladly line up for the vaccine.
I am sure if you have a cedula you will qualify for getting the vaccine. If you legally live in the DR, you have a cedula.

Reactions: PCMike

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I hate to say this... But this vaccine will probably become an entry requirement for Canada and the US and most of European countries. As western countries have higher proportions of senior citizens.
So unless you intending to stay in the DR for the rest of your lives, be prepared for this vaccine requirement whenever you decide to return home at some point in the future.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Fine by me as long as I can get vaccinated when and if I want to. If however, if I have to wait until every other Dominican has been vaccinated before I could get the jab I would not be quite so content.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
...Windy you are right about here and everywhere... I caught H1N1 about 6 years ago in Minnesota USA..thats a strain of the virus from the pandemic of 1918.. a hospital only 3 blocks away gave me a anti viral as I felt life being sucked out of me. Put me in line for the Vaccine...........Doc.........
Of course. This type of contagious virus can at best be beaten back so a sense of normalcy returns. There is only one disease a vaccine actually eliminated.

Recent studies on herd immunity from CV19 patients provide encouragement, but it is still far too early to tell if that is possible. A vaccine rollout will take years. Just read about that in any of the news being published on the reality of vaccines and how long it takes to immunize enough people.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I hate to say this... But this vaccine will probably become an entry requirement for Canada and the US and most of European countries. As western countries have higher proportions of senior citizens.
So unless you intending to stay in the DR for the rest of your lives, be prepared for this vaccine requirement whenever you decide to return home at some point in the future.
Never thought of that but it make sense as likely and a good idea in my view to limit the disease.
Not sure why you hate to say it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Feels good to be sure of things even with zero basis just so long as it agrees with what you already think.
NO one know or has a basis for what will happen, you, me everyone, its ALL speculation.
I have received vaccines in the DR, free and only with my cedula, before I was a citizen. I have seen nowhere any indication that medically expats are treated any different than Dominicans.

Reactions: PCMike and Russell

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Virus producers releasing more information from their trials said today that the approximately 95% immunity rate includes the elderly (65) and the old. Nice piece of news for the geriatric set.

In addition some more good news from the La Jolla Institute of Immunology.
Immunity conferred by having the disease appears to provide long term immunity possibly lasting years and even in the elderly.
Length of immunity may be related to severity of illness. Its me I rather have the vaccine than get immunity the hard way.
If you get very ill and recover you will get longer immunity. If you die you did not need the immunity anyway.

For the cherry on top all we need is news the vaccines provide long term immunity.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Virus producers releasing more information from their trials said today that the approximately 95% immunity rate includes the elderly (65) and the old. Nice piece of news for the geriatric set.

In addition some more good news from the La Jolla Institute of Immunology.
Immunity conferred by having the disease appears to provide long term immunity possibly lasting years and even in the elderly.
Length of immunity may be related to 8 severity of illness. Its me I rather have the vaccine than get immunity the hard way.
If you get very ill and recover you will get longer immunity. If you die you did not need the immunity anyway.

For the cherry on top all we need is news the vaccines provide long term immunity.
The chances of surviving covid by an average healthy individual is literally higher (99%) than the so called 95% immunity rate of this vaccine.

So unless one is elderly like age 70+ or already has some type disease like obesity or diabetes i don't know how this new vaccine is relevant.
The disease is literally survivable in 99% of healthy individuals.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have received vaccines in the DR, free and only with my cedula, before I was a citizen. I have seen nowhere any indication that medically expats are treated any different than Dominicans.
This vaccine is not like the cheap stuff that has been around in good supply for years.
For these "old" vaccines the producing companies have long ago recovered their development costs.

The CV19 vaccine have been rushed through in about 8 months with little regard to the development costs which in all likelihood are enormous.
Usual time for vaccine development is 8 to 10 years in normal times.
Take a look at the stock prices for Pfizer and Moderna.

The US government has Operation Warp Speed that includes some of the producer but not Pfizer.
For the US population the government wants as many people as possible to get the vaccine and will want it cheap or free with the government picking up the bill for Americans.

I think it is likely the vaccine producers will want to profit as much as possible on out of country sales.
The US government will likely not put any limits on out of country sales prices.
Buckle up for the prices.
You may want to take a short vacation back to Canada that will be free compared to this vaccine price in the DR.
Some vaccines are already pretty expensive in the US.
Shingrex which immunizes against Shingles is $175 to $200 per shot and you need two.

If the costs are sky high your health insurance will have to decide on how to offer this vaccine.
Maybe look to China or Russia for their vaccine which is already in use.
Hey, you put Chines tires on your car, why not a Chinese vaccine, eh

Just my view point. You have yours and we shall see. Hope it works out and we all get a vaccine of some sort.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Also, as there wont enough vaccine shots for everyone, I doubt governments will even care to give vaccines to elderly people in nursing homes, as those are already ill and nearing death anyway.

Logistically and financially, it doesn't make sense to vaccinate someone who will die within 2 years anyway.
Now can you imagine the devastation and tragedy this will cause in many families?

Like "my dad at the nursing home is vulnerable to covid due to his advanced age, but he still won't get vaccinated against covid because the govt said he has late stage cancer/disabilities".
I can already feel the devastation this will cause to families.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
So you're okay that your government forces you to inject yourself with vaccine that was only produced within a few months, when most vaccines take years, just for you to be able to go back home? Are you serious now?
I'll pass on that rushed up vaccine.
It was substantially more than a few months and has gone through rigorous trials.
I support anything that helps us be rid of this pandemic and save lives.
No one is forcing anyone to do anything.
You are free to stay in the DR.
You are entitled to refuse the vaccine.

Most first world countries require immunizations for children to attend school.
No vaccine no admittance and after a time the cops knock on your door and you are arrested for keeping kids out to school.
It an example of the government intruding on your personal rights for the general welfare.
In every instance when the legal system has to decide a case between personal freedom and the general welfare you lose.

I am a big fan of this vaccine and will be in line in my proper order.
You are welcome to decide different but your choice may have consequences.
I would not be surprised to see many countries require proof of vaccine to leave and to enter.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Also, as there wont enough vaccine shots for everyone, I doubt governments will even care to give vaccines to elderly people in nursing homes, as those are already ill and nearing death anyway.

Logistically and financially, it doesn't make sense to vaccinate someone who will die within 2 years anyway.
Now can you imagine the devastation and tragedy this will cause in many families?

Like "my dad at the nursing home is vulnerable to covid due to his advanced age, but he still won't get vaccinated against covid because the govt said he has late stage cancer/disabilities".
I can already feel the devastation this will cause.
So it is like they are throw away people?
All the discussions I have heard on MSM predict that the occupants of nursing home will be near first in line.
Healthcare decisions, thankfully, are not made based on logistics and finance.
There will be plenty of shots for everyone, just not right away and in the order of the most susceptible first.

Regarding your dad my view is that every life is valuable and would like him to have the choice of the vaccine or not no matter how near to death he is determined to be.
Your dad is likely to be offered the vaccine long before you.

Reactions: drstock

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The chances of surviving covid by an average healthy individual is literally higher (99%) than the so called 95% immunity rate of this vaccine.

So unless one is elderly like age 70+ or already has some type disease like obesity or diabetes i don't know how this new vaccine is relevant.
The disease is literally survivable in 99% of healthy individuals.
The issue is not with the healthy but in keeping the populations healthy.

World wide there are 11.4 million cases of illness and near 250.000 deaths in the US alone.
Only using US numbers as they are the easiest and maybe most accurate.
A simple two shots regiment will save the lives of many people.

It is generally recognized that elderly is 65 and old is 70 and up.
News today from the virus producers say the vaccine will protect both the elderly and the old with 95% numbers.

Fat people can diet and get skinny or stay fat and still live. Fat people are not of any lesser value than the thin.
Diabetics can take insulin and monitor their sugar levels.
My wife's mom is Dominican , age 80 and an insulin dependent diabetic. She is doing fine.
I think she is relevant and will be near the front of the line in the DR to get her vaccine which is as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.