Will you accept the vaccine made available in the D.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I still think it will only be available if you have local health insurance here and pay for it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This vaccine is not like the cheap stuff that has been around in good supply for years.
For these "old" vaccines the producing companies have long ago recovered their development costs.

The CV19 vaccine have been rushed through in about 8 months with little regard to the development costs which in all likelihood are enormous.
Usual time for vaccine development is 8 to 10 years in normal times.
Take a look at the stock prices for Pfizer and Moderna.

The US government has Operation Warp Speed that includes some of the producer but not Pfizer.
For the US population the government wants as many people as possible to get the vaccine and will want it cheap or free with the government picking up the bill for Americans.

I think it is likely the vaccine producers will want to profit as much as possible on out of country sales.
The US government will likely not put any limits on out of country sales prices.
Buckle up for the prices.
You may want to take a short vacation back to Canada that will be free compared to this vaccine price in the DR.
Some vaccines are already pretty expensive in the US.
Shingrex which immunizes against Shingles is $175 to $200 per shot and you need two.

If the costs are sky high your health insurance will have to decide on how to offer this vaccine.
Maybe look to China or Russia for their vaccine which is already in use.
Hey, you put Chines tires on your car, why not a Chinese vaccine, eh

Just my view point. You have yours and we shall see. Hope it works out and we all get a vaccine of some sort.
There are two other vaccines that have slightly better reported effectiveness than Pfizer's vaccine. I read somewhere that the DR would receive international funding for the vaccine.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Sheesh.
Tell me about it.
They're almost as bad as the
armchair keyboard intellects.
We just can't win (tear drops)
now can we? If me preferring
to build a healthy immune system
to fight off viruses while not wanting
to recieve a vaccine that has been thru
very few clinical studies is something
you have a problem with then tough sh*t.

It amazes me that people object to anyone exercising their own personal freedom by rejecting a government putting something in their body. If you want a vaccination, fine. But if others don't why make a big deal about it? These people have security issues.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It amazes me that people object to anyone exercising their own personal freedom by rejecting a government putting something in their body. If you want a vaccination, fine. But if others don't why make a big deal about it? These people have security issues.
I am assuming some of you are not formally residents here. So how would the government be able to trace you and impose a vaccination on you.

Reactions: PCMike

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am assuming some of you are not formally residents here. So how would the government be able to trace you and impose a vaccination on you.

They would not be able to. But if I wanted to go back to the USA and then return, you would have 2 different governments that could mandate proof of vaccination for entry. As an American citizen, that would go against everything our country stands for. For the DR, it's their country and as a guest, I would either abide by their rules or not enter.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
They would not be able to. But if I wanted to go back to the USA and then return, you would have 2 different governments that could mandate proof of vaccination for entry. As an American citizen, that would go against everything our country stands for. For the DR, it's their country and as a guest, I would either abide by their rules or not enter.
Right. I can only see it being mandated for travel. I would agree it should be voluntary. I doubt the DR would require it to enter. Lets relax about this. The most realistic is that you can get vaccinated if you pay for it. A local health insurance would cover a part of it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..To vaccine or not?..Has anyone watched the movie..LEGEND..With Will Smith, somebody developed the cure for cancer, anyway something happened..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think we have established that the -95F Pfizer product will pfizzle here

Impossible to distribute ---- let's move on to practical discussions

Whew!!

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Getting back to normal life....

1605734880114.png

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don’t know why all the expats on here gets so worked up about this. Surely unless you are a permanent resident or citizen here its an issue with you and your home country.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I don’t know why all the expats on here gets so worked up about this. Surely unless you are a permanent resident or citizen here its an issue with you and your home country.
I am neither a resident nor a citizen.

If you include me in "worked up" I have a number of Dominican family members who's health and welfare is a priority.
I want them to receive a safe vaccine asap in the order that the DR government will soon establish.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am neither a resident nor a citizen.

If you include me in "worked up" I have a number of Dominican family members who's health and welfare is a priority.
I want them to receive a safe vaccine asap in the order that the DR government will soon establish.
Ok. It will be interesting to hear how the government would implement something like that. I have not heard anything official. Maybe I missed it. I would imagine it would be by working with the insurance companies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ok. It will be interesting to hear how the government would implement something like that. I have not heard anything official. Maybe I missed it. I would imagine it would be by working with the insurance companies.
I have not heard of any plan but I expect the government will be unusually proactive and come up with a order of vaccination long before any vaccine arrives.
The government has done a good job in my view.
I am hopeful that wealthy Dominicans will not be able to jump the line.
It would seem that health care workers would go first.

If this vaccine turns out to be very very expensive who knows how it will turn out here for the poor who will never be able to afford the shots and they certainly do not have health insurance.
If each injection is hundreds of dollars will the government be able to afford anything like that?
The vaccine producers are in the vaccine business to make money and first off is to recover the money they spent in the production and trials of their vaccine.
Would anyone be surprised with all the traffic will bear pricewise.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I have not heard of any plan but I expect the government will be unusually proactive and come up with a order of vaccination long before any vaccine arrives.
The government has done a good job in my view.
I am hopeful that wealthy Dominicans will not be able to jump the line.
It would seem that health care workers would go first.

If this vaccine turns out to be very very expensive who knows how it will turn out here for the poor who will never be able to afford the shots and they certainly do not have health insurance.
If each injection is hundreds of dollars will the government be able to afford anything like that?
The vaccine producers are in the vaccine business to make money and first off is to recover the money they spent in the production and trials of their vaccine.
Would anyone be surprised with all the traffic will bear pricewise.
Didn't the president announce earlier in his presidency that all Dominicans will get health care coverage under Senasa the government insurance company. So either you have insurance with Senasa or a private health insurance like Palic or Humano. I am sure it will be those insurance companies working with the government and labs like Amadita and Referencia and other private labs.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"read somewhere", ?
Two other vaccines more effective than 94.5% ?
I try and keep up with this and I have not read such a thing.
"International funding" is a hole big enough to drive a truck through.
If you happen to stumble over it I would like to see it.
You willing to take a Chinese vaccine?
China would likely jump at any poor country that needs a vaccine.
I do not even eat Chinese food.
If you read DR1's news you would know where the Dominican government is getting its vaccine, UK.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Didn't the president announce earlier in his presidency that all Dominicans will get health care coverage under Senasa the government insurance company. So either you have insurance with Senasa or a private health insurance like Palic or Humano. I am sure it will be those insurance companies working with the government and labs like Amadita and Referencia and other private labs.
At approximately 4-500 pesos per vaccine I wouldn't worry too much about health care coverage.

Reactions: PCMike and aarhus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not worked up at all. I just refuse to take the vax just like I've refused to take a flu vax for 47 years. It's the "you gotta get vaxed or we're all gonna die" crowd that's getting worked up.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"For the US population the government wants as many people as possible to get the vaccine and
will want it cheap or free with the government picking up the bill for Americans."

(from post# 377 divided by 13, minus 5, times 6, divided by 4)

The poor little mouse will never understand why the cheese is free.... will he?
As an "expat" I really don't think the Dominican government cares if whether
or not we get the vaccine. They are more concerned about their friends and
families not the rest of us.
I wonder what they plan to do with all of the revolving door Haitians?

Status
Not open for further replies.