Wine Tourism?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from today's dr news

President inaugurates first wine tourism project

Ocoa Bay, a joint US-Dominican project, is being described as the first wine-tourism development in the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean region.

President Danilo Medina inaugurated the project yesterday, Monday 26 August. Promoters say they will be investing US$167 million, according to the government press release.

The project's area will cover 1.4 million square meters in the southwestern Bahia de Ocoa, with the first phase consisting of 140,000 square meters focused on a vineyard "capable of producing high-quality wine and table grapes," the government reports.

Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia said the initiative was the beginning of a "series of major investments" in the country's southern region.

Center for Export and Investment (CEI-RD) director Jean Alain Rodriguez said: "It will be a project that will add a new element to our country-brand: Dominican wine, placing us on the world map of vineyards, showing that nobody does it better than Dominicans, when we do it well," Rodriguez said.

The first phase will involve a US$70 million in investment, and the company says around 600 jobs are being created.

Gabriel Acevedo, president of Ocoa Bay, said the project would serve as a model for wine tourism, with a "harmonious combination of agriculture and tourism."

The project will include a resort, clubhouse, residential villas, a health club, a winery, restaurants and other amenities. -----

do I have the wrong place? Is this not the bay south of Bani, outside of Azua? Do they think that they can grow grapes in this hear? (well i guess they do otherwise they would not be taliing about it.. )

are there any grapes grown here?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw that and thought "WTF???"

US$167 million? Really?

I suspect yet another unfinished White Elephant...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I saw that and thought "WTF???"

US$167 million? Really?

I suspect yet another unfinished White Elephant...

Yep!

"Center for Export and Investment (CEI-RD) director Jean Alain Rodriguez said: "It will be a project that will add a new element to our country-brand: Dominican wine, placing us on the world map of vineyards, showing that nobody does it better than Dominicans, when we do it well," Rodriguez said."

I just can't wait to hear from those Whining tourist. :ermm: (and those that invested.)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I have yet to visit, but I have been hearing good things about the project. The wine, am told, is good. And that it is well put together. Maybe it is an ambitious project, but I would think the keeping will be less costly than the maintenance fees tagged on to those who purchase golf villas. So, this is a project to follow.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So they are already producing wine? Now that is exciting! I often wonder why there is not more tourism for the agricultural sector. I keep wanting to take a coca tour or a coffe tour or even a mango tour but seems you have to be big group or know when a festival is happening or something. Wish there were more publicity on it. So nice to get out the country with a destinaton at hand.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You can make wine.

For hundreds of years the grafting of a top plant onto the bottom root stock has been done. Grapes, oranges and apples. It is a matter of finding the root stock that works in that soil and matching it with the top that works in that climate.

So yes, it CAN be done but to be a World competitor would be my question? I find his statements over the top arrogant. Wine and spirits are made just about everywhere for a long time. World Class is another topic.

How do you spell: Naphthaleneacetic acid? Horticulture was one of my minors and I fell 2 places cause I could not spell this. And still can't. I looked it up. LOL

[video=youtube;65PzLXuJOW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65PzLXuJOW8[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
prepare for more hats because margarita wants to promote neyba wine.
Z 101

maybe this is the wine she's talking about?

2d7vdye.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
being sarcastic here... the first good wine to buy locally?

For the past 5 years I only had crap here, except for one bottle of Chablis at 2600 rds

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo goes to neyba occasionally, i will ask him to get the wine if available locally. he often brings local specials.

Aug 21, 2007
being sarcastic here... the first good wine to buy locally?

For the past 5 years I only had crap here, except for one bottle of Chablis at 2600 rds

BelgianK

I agree. Occasionally, I find a good bottle, but at a very high price. And that includes the several times I have bought directly from importers. Most of what is here would qualify as 3 Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. Something I would drink as a senior in high school....like Boone's Farm. Oh, I have seen that here, too!

Part of the problem, I believe, is that it is shipped here in hot containers and rarely placed in the right climate once it arrives. (There is a new wine shop in Sosua. Obviously, they don't have air conditioning. I never see the door shut. And I always wonder of the quality of the wine, due to the heat.)

Wishing the development only the best of luck, but am not too sure that things will work out as planned.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I agree. Occasionally, I find a good bottle, but at a very high price. And that includes the several times I have bought directly from importers. Most of what is here would qualify as 3 Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. Something I would drink as a senior in high school....like Boone's Farm. Oh, I have seen that here, too!

you know what, i really do not care for the wine. spirits is the way, beer is my second choice. but when we went to london few weeks ago i let my wine chucking friend have her way and we had wine every day. 10-20 pounds per bottle (650-1300 pesos). and all wines were decent. palatable. tasty, even. dang. was it because of what you said, improper storage? if the sellers in DR cannot keep it right how could the producers?

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
3 buck chuck is damn good for what it is. Thanks for the link, I would love to grow my own vines and give it a go.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
most wines are blends. Three buck chuck is an example of a great blend from modicum ie california vineyards.