Without the social sector, President Abinader goes ahead and signs Electricity Pact

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Firma-del-Pacto-Electrico-Presidencia-1024x576.jpg

President Luis Abinader signed the Electricity Pact with the backing of big business and the political parties in a ceremony on Thursday, 25 February 2021 at the Presidential Palace. Representatives of the social sector did not sign. The agreement had been called for in the National Development Strategy Law 1-12.

President Luis Abinader argued that even he was not in agreement with several points but that it was the possible one. President Abinader announced the National Pact for the Electricity Sector Reform seeks to provide a more stable, efficient and lower cost service.

He said the electricity sector today runs in deficit and is responsible for 50% of the public sector debt. The President explained that in the 2021 National Budget RD$58 billion is allocated to cover the deficit. He said the biggest drain of resources happens through the state-owned power...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Lobotomy Surgeon
May 6, 2016
Renewable sources require significant maintenance and have a lower life cycle than a LNG or coal fired plant.
If you see solar farms or hundreds of wind turbines dotting the hills expect less reliable power as maintenance is not a practice that has taken hold for the Ede companies.
LNG plants are clean and it is a cheap product and could be shipped to DR from several sources. A LNG receiving and storage facility would be needed and that would require significant funding and outside expertise to be built.
I agree - electric rates likely to go up soon. 50% of the deficit is incredible.

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
Renewable sources do not require maintenance in excess of fossil fuel powered plants.
If so they they would not be in use at all.
LNG are right now.
Solar and Wind are the future.
LNG should be used as the baseline input to the grid to support Solar and Wind production.
I am willing to pay more to insure a better future for those who follow me.

Reactions: drstock

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
More Blah, blah by the government. The Edes like the water distribution companies seem less interested in delivering a stable and reliable utility service than they do maintaining and expanding their sphere of economic influence. Maintenance and upgrades are only performed here when a failure has occurred or is past imminent. Distribution remains the weakest link. A patchwork of poorly located local above ground transmission lines remains vulnerable to wind/tree damage and the components are cobbled together like many other appliance repairs. We have a circuit breaker on my circuit that blows every time it rains and electrical meters that don't fit properly in their receptacles. When these meters heat up they work themselves loose from their connections and the power goes out. If they were secured in place with a security band they could be held firmly in place. But no, a $1.00 part is more than Edenorte can manage for their customers to keep the lights on. Reactive not proactive is still the M.O. favored by most utilities and it shows with the weekly outages for maintenance that do not seem to improve service or reliability. It is what it is but more talk is the last thing the system needs. There does not seem to be any real incentive for the Ede's to do better so they don't. They just sit around waiting for the next govt payment to come their way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Setting up government control of power distribution was one of the biggest mistakes ever made in the DR.
The rampant corruption this caused is impossible to completely eradicate.

Not dismantling this government control continues the mistake.

At least my power is on now almost all of the time. It is what it is.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More Blah, blah by the government. The Edes like the water distribution companies seem less interested in delivering a stable and reliable utility service than they do maintaining and expanding their sphere of economic influence. Maintenance and upgrades are only performed here when a failure has occurred or is past imminent. Distribution remains the weakest link. A patchwork of poorly located local above ground transmission lines remains vulnerable to wind/tree damage and the components are cobbled together like many other appliance repairs. We have a circuit breaker on my circuit that blows every time it rains and electrical meters that don't fit properly in their receptacles. When these meters heat up they work themselves loose from their connections and the power goes out. If they were secured in place with a security band they could be held firmly in place. But no, a $1.00 part is more than Edenorte can manage for their customers to keep the lights on. Reactive not proactive is still the M.O. favored by most utilities and it shows with the weekly outages for maintenance that do not seem to improve service or reliability. It is what it is but more talk is the last thing the system needs. There does not seem to be any real incentive for the Ede's to do better so they don't. They just sit around waiting for the next govt payment to come their way.
Had the same issue with rains causing a short out condition in my area for MANY years. It seems to have finally been fixed about 3 months ago. I spoke to the crew that found the problem and they were confident it was fixed while I was not. It seems they may have found the problem. And this came after they already replaced all of the major wiring a short time ago and installed new power poles and some new transformers. If you still have a patchwork of connections, then the problems will continue in your area.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Setting up government control of power distribution was one of the biggest mistakes ever made in the DR.
The rampant corruption this caused is impossible to completely eradicate.

Not dismantling this government control continues the mistake.

At least my power is on now almost all of the time. It is what it is.
In my country of origin people are dead from deregulation of the energy market.
When the goal is profit, people get ignored ‼️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When companies run for a profit, people normally get what they pay for. No company can be prepared for events that happen every 100 years.

But let's talk about normal situations, shall we?

When I arrived in the DR in 2003, I got 10 hours of power daily thanks to the government being in charge of the power. That was considered normal here. People stole all the power they could, that was normal here -would that be OK in your country? It was ignored here and the power was just turned off regularly. Would that have killed people in your country?

About 2 years ago, my power became 24/7 Dominican Style which means that it goes off rarely, but still could. Would that possibly still kill people in your country.

The government power company tried to extort over 100,00 USD two different times to allow us to have power 24/7. Would that happen in your country? The people that ran Edenorte are under indictment for corruption. Would that happen in your country?

I have not had water for 3 days from the government run water company. Would that be an inconvenience in your home country?

My comments stand, the government being in control of utilities is a ridiculously bad idea.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Renewable sources do not require maintenance in excess of fossil fuel powered plants.
LNG are right now.
LNG should be used as the baseline input to the grid to support Solar and Wind production.
I am willing to pay more to insure a better future for those who follow me.

As for renewable, watch Planet of the Humans produced by Michael Moore and get back to us on the farce that is renewable energy.
Fusion power is what will make a real difference. Not renewables.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From the above article in the original post , would this work in your country? It is obvious to anyone it is not working here.

He said the electricity sector today runs in deficit and is responsible for 50% of the public sector debt. The President explained that in the 2021 National Budget RD$58 billion is allocated to cover the deficit. He said the biggest drain of resources happens through the state-owned power distribution companies (EdeNorte, EdeSur and EdeEste).

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The people are dead in my country of origin after a similar event that occurred 10 years ago.
Market was deregulated at that time.
Investigations were conducted by the government in the country of my origin.
Recommendations were made.
For profit companies did follow them.
Same event happened again.
People are dead.
There are individuals that think government running utilities are a bad idea.
It is their opinion.
Deregulation and private companies running things with a eye only on profit for shareholders and a complete disregard for the customers they serve...
When people die because of it, I happen to think THAT "is a ridiculously bad idea" ‼️
But that is my opinion.

No matter who has been in charge of DRGOV since I have been living here the electricity has not stayed on (for me where I have lived).
I have owned a inverter months after moving here.
Moving up the knowledge curve about the those systems and battery technology.
So, I do for myself what the electrical company or government in place cannot.
During the time of living here the government agency designed to watch over the electrical utilities assisted me when when I was over charged to the tune of triple the amount when my usage had not changed.
There separate months of bill where I filed complaints and won them all.
Since the new POTDR has taken over my electric bill have dropped to one-third of what they were before.
Whatever system that is in place right now is working for me.
And I still have an inverter and 4 batteries.
And I replaced them just last year.
And have been completely happy with the performance of my back up system.
But I should not have to have one.
I can count the times on one hand I have lost power in my country of origin on one hand and I lived nearly five times longer than I have lived in 🇩🇴

Renewable are the answer.
Only those with head in the sand can proffer that a non-renewable source is better than a renewable source.
My experience with renewables is hands on and personal.
Not quoting sources from books, internet and movies in order to make a point on a public discussion board.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is proven when the water and power are not on and 50% of the budget goes to subsidizing a failing power grid that having the government is in charge is nothing but a massive failure. I guess some people cannot see the obvious.

As for renewable power: I would bet on Fusion power being the savior of the world. Not renewables.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Fusion is the future (distant)
Renewable is now ‼️
Old bird in hand verses two in the bush.
As a betting man I would take renewables.
Unless you are giving me odds...

Reactions: playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't bet on anything I cannot control, and certainly would not bet on renewables as saving the planet.

Only Fusion will eventually do that, if it is even possible.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"As for renewable power: I would bet on Fusion power being the savior of the world. Not renewables." - windeguy post #16
"I don't bet on anything I cannot control, and certainly would not bet on renewables as saving the planet." windeguy post "18
Which is it windeguy❓
If you control it then it is not bet, it is a fix.
Do you only invest using inside information ❓

Renewables will be there if your Fusion does not arrive in a economic form by the time fossil fuels run out.
That is the problem with true believers.
They cannot see the bigger picture.
LNG are right now.
I am not trying to save the world.
I am just trying to keep my lights on.
Right now I am doing that using a inverter and four batteries.
There is a better way.