woman for president!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hold your fire, ladies.
Whatever you say, gentleman.

I mentioned that only because I felt that Jane J. was minimizing the accomplishment of women polilticians in the US because the US does not have a woman VP.
Where did I do that?

I hate to repeat myself, but, I SAID THAT THE DR HAS A WOMAN VP AND THE US NEVER HAS. And that's ALL I said about that.

When I said "make of this what you will", I meant take this information and do whatever you want with it. If you had bothered to read it, you would have seen that it is not exactly a glowing testament to women's great involvement in Dominican politics. 23 diputados out of 146 - they're not exactly taking over.

Now, what I don't understand is that if you think the DR political scene is such small potatoes, then why do you take such a pessimistic view for the future of women in politics there?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
Now, what I don't understand is that if you think the DR political scene is such small potatoes, then why do you take such a pessimistic view for the future of women in politics there?

Speaking slowly so that you can understand, Jane J., I do not, repeat do not "think the DR political scene is such small potatoes." The only reason I brought in the number difference between the US and the DR was because of your comment:

Jane J. said:
You say, Look how long it has taken the US blah blah blah, when in reality the DR is ahead of the US in that respect. Or hadn't you noticed Milagros Bosch?

My point was that I don't believe it is fair to say that the DR is ahead of the US with respect to women in public office. Among the points made in relation to this is my belief that the achievement of the office of Governor of a State with a population at least equal to that of the DR can be compared with being chosen VP by the DR, and that the achievement of the position of US Senator in a State of 34 million can, too. Likewise having women serving in such powerful postions as Secretary of State and Attorney General should be considered as evidence of significant achievement. Few positions in the world have the status of Secretary of State of the US.

The fact that I mentioned the achievement of women in the US was not meant in any way to demean the women in government in the DR. I believe that I've said several times they have my admiration and respect.

Where you get my "pessimistic view for the future of women there" from completely mystifies me. I've indicated that I hope that Milagros is successful, and I have encouraged Cira to pursue her interest in politics because I believe she can do good.

If you will look back through this thread you will see that there has been a very limited participation and no posts expressing any opposition to women in high public office. Is this because there are no posters with such views, or because having seen the pounding given someone who repeatedly expresses support for women in politics, they figure it is better to keep silent with any opposing view.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
This is frustrating!

Where you get my "pessimistic view for the future of women there" from completely mystifies me.
From your opening comments:

I think there are very few women in the DR who through training and experience are ready to govern the nation--not because women are inherently inferior to men, but because Dominican men have not encouraged women to assume leadership roles.

Not very optimistic, nor is it very accurate.

No one has criticized you for opposing women in politics. (We know - they have your respect and admiration.) However, if you expect to come off as a champion of women's causes you may want to rethink addressing us as "gals" and "ladies", especially not during this line of "debate". So if you're quite through with your persecution complex and your own blathering, perhaps we can move on. Ahem.

When Geraldine Ferraro was chosen as Mondale's running mate in the US, much mention was made of her being the 1st woman to run for VP. However I don't think Bosch running with Hipolito received as much attention for the same reasons. I'm thinking that maybe in the DR gender is not as big a factor, as let's say, party preference, charisma or how many bottles of rum you get in return for your vote.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This isn't your thread or mine, it is Cira's. I'm emailing her to suggest she make a fresh start.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Not for personal gain" Yeah, Cira, like all those other altruistic people in Santo Domingo...Did you ever hear of the "Come solos?"
or the "Desde chancletas a una Jipeta?"

And they were not in tit for personel gain either...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Ken maybe you really are on the side of women and all that but your wording really sucks.

I think there are very few women in the DR who through training and experience are ready to govern the nation
Nothing farther from the truth. And I don't see what you consider "training and experience". The only "trained and experienced" politician we've had lately was Balaguer, if only for the many times he was in power. Not a bright example I'd say. You have to find out a little more about women in Dominican contemporary society.

The key, I believe, is to get women interested in politics. Judging by what I see around me, honest people would rather spend their time swimming with hungry alligators.

Last edited:

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
Hillbilly,
I defenitely have heard about 'come solos' y tambien de desde 'chancletas a una jipeta' But just to let you know:

Not everybody who is on a cause is after the same thing, for instance me, I am on this for the embetterment of D.R.

When you are not part oif the solution, you are plan of plan of the problem, and it seems to me that that is what you are doing, being part of the problem. You seem to pin point just about anyone, instead of doing what can or should be done about it!! Why don't you try to be part of the solution once in a while!!

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
KEN

You thought this was dead, eh?

President Hipolito Mejia said that in "a reasonable time, not far off" the Dominican Republic will have a female President, just as Panama has had. Mejia said that during his administration, women have had relevant participation and inclusion and that currently, not only does he have a female Vice-President, Milagros Ortiz Bosch, but also the first woman president of the Chamber of Deputies, Rafaela Alburquerque, as well as five female Supreme Court judges, and thirty percent of elected officials and various provincial governors. He said that has Chief of State he is very proud of the honest, hard work being carried out by female government officials and used as an example Ortiz Bosch, who holds double duty as VP and Minister of Education, and Peggy Cabral, in pro Comunidad and now as director of the Social Cabinet. The President also stated that the DR has dozens of female mayors that have done well due to their "arduous labor and efforts".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cira: You don't know me. You don't know what I have done in over 40 years in the DR. I have lost a lot of patience, that is for sure.

HB

S

SDecatur

Re: Um, Ken

Keith R said:

Are you so sure? Which woman in the US do you think is poised to seize her party's nomination for president? I frankly can't think of one. There are many competent women that should run, but none I see on-track for 2004. Yet I see Milagros standing a good chance of being the PRD candidate in 2004 if Hipolito sticks to his word and does not run for re-election.
The DR only has Milagros? Well, she may be the only with a shot at the presidency, but not the only one ni a position of power. What about Dra. Rafaela Alburquerque, the head of the Chamber of Deputies? Has the US ever had a female Speaker of the House?
The DR has, last time I counted, about 23 female Deputies and two female Senators. Does the US have a higher proportion (%) in the House of Representatives & Senate? I'm not sure they do, I'm going to check into it.
Cabinet members? Well, true, women only have 2 of 11 Cabinet posts in the DR, but isn't that proprotionally the same as the US right now? I don't know about Supreme Court Justices, but I do know that during the Fernandez yrs a number of women became judges. I recall that one of the high profile cases during 1999 (assassination of the journalist?), the judge was a woman and she was tough.
I guess I'm suggesting that perhaps the US is not actually all that far ahead of the DR as you argue.
Regards,
Keith

Unless you see a strong democrat (such as Gephart if the dems win the house) or Kerry from Mass make a real run, the Junior senator from New York may very well make the run, though it would seem likely she will fufill her promise and serve 6 then wait until 2008 if Bush wins in 2004

S

SDecatur

jazzcom said:
How unfortunate. I hope I am living in the DR when that time comes. I find her an embarassment just as I did her wife.

It is an interesting quirk how strong women intimidate weak men :)

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I also happen to be against Hillary Clinton, not because
she is a strong woman, but because of her tendencies to
be in favor of expanding government. BTW, the Clinton
administration was an embarassment to many of us.

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
Hillbilly,
I am sorry. I should not have reacted that way.
To everyone else,
I think that Milagros is doing a great job so far and if she is running, she has my vote

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Milagros" is just an "Ugly" version of "Hipolito"!

She may sit down to "Pee",and she is a "Drunk",but those are the only differences!Like most politicians everywhere she is only interested in getting elected! If she really cared about her people she could make a difference.She chooses not to!Cris

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
Criss
Why do you say "she chooses not to"?
Haven not you seen what she has done for the education of our children? What? She does not have the right to have a bad day and pasarse de copas? did not Clinton do what he did and still was a good president? You answer to me these questions. You judge people for the bad things they have done, not by how much good they do!! There is potential in her, and that is what I believe on, I believe that she could make the difference that no other president have done for DR and that is what counts.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Cira said:
did not Clinton do what he did and still was a good president?

Bill Clinton was not a good president!
I know that this was not the original
intent of this thread but I will not let
the idea that BC was a good president
be given credence. If there was economic
prosperity during his years in office it was
in spite of the man who gave the US the
largest tax increase in its history.

Moca