Woman survives retainer wall collapse; begins to tell her story

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
María-Reyes-.-Diario-Libre-1024x523.png

A woman survived the collapse of the retainer wall on the underpass of 27 de Febrero Avenue. She tells her story to Diario Libre reporters.

Her main complaint is that no one came to her rescue after the falling retainer wall smashed her car. She said all she could see was people taking videos. She feels 911 rescue crews took about an hour to arrive. She also criticized that the first emergency room where they were taken the family was rejected because they did not have medical insurance.

Maria Reyes was making her way back with her family and friends to Bani. She had traveled to Las Americas International Airport to drop off her husband who traveled abroad. Traveling with her were the brother of her husband, Wilson Saint Anne, his wife Nancy and a friend of the family Bonheur Donvelier. Nancy Saint Anne and Donvelier did not survive.

Maria Reyes called for financial aid...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlaPlaya

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
A tunnel wall fell on her and the hospital rejected her. I can understand under normal circumstances, but this was not normal. SMH.
Not only that, if they took her to a public hospital, would they still require insurance?

A couple other points: I'm not sure of the logistics of the 911, and I'm sure this person is just telling "how she felt", but this was pretty central in Santo Domingo and the rescue took long to arrive? Where are they based in? Finally, it's always the same, taking videos of anything is the most important... Rant over...

Recently quite a bit of very "positive" publicity/news involving the govt...

Reactions: Auryn

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No insurance required in public hospitals. This was in the middle of a torrential downpour with many streets flooded. Traffic was probably horrific. No surprise it took an hour to get there.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
No insurance required in public hospitals. This was in the middle of a torrential downpour with many streets flooded. Traffic was probably horrific. No surprise it took an hour to get there.
Exactly. so why did they refuse treatment / did they not go to a public hospital? That's another thing, if traffic is terrible, what good is any 911 system? I would understand if they were outside the city, but no...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
She is lucky to be alive.
Given this was an emergency during a major storm and the fact there are exceptions to every single law, rule and regulation in this country, she should have been treated at the first public hospital she was taken to.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly. so why did they refuse treatment / did they not go to a public hospital? That's another thing, if traffic is terrible, what good is any 911 system? I would understand if they were outside the city, but no...
What can I say? If you don't have insurance, private clinics will not accept you. I'm sure she was taken to a public hospital. 911 is not going to save you in a hurricane either. They have their limits on what they can physically do.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
What i understand is that if the 911 ambulance comes, they are required to take you to a public hospital. Unless there were exceptions made for the issue, but I believe there should've been someone with some sense (or power) to ensure any survivor treatment without prejudice.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
What can I say? If you don't have insurance, private clinics will not accept you. I'm sure she was taken to a public hospital. 911 is not going to save you in a hurricane either. They have their limits on what they can physically do.
I agree, but this isn't just an occurrence of something that typically happens during a natural disaster.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes, I understand that of the insurance, but your reply did not answer my question: If this patient was taken to a public hospital by 911, why was insurance required? That's the point in the story I don't understand...

I also understand that severe weather my make things difficult, but if you believe (based on the news story, which may or may not reflect the reality) 911 did their job here as you should expect, then no further comments from me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, I understand that of the insurance, but your reply did not answer my question: If this patient was taken to a public hospital by 911, why was insurance required? That's the point in the story I don't understand...
The article says that the first emergency room rejected her because she didn't have insurance. I'm sure that's because it was a private clinic.
I also understand that severe weather my make things difficult, but if you believe (based on the news story, which may or may not reflect the reality) 911 did their job here as you should expect, then no further comments from me.
In Florida, they tell people to evacuate during a hurricane because 911 may not be able to help you. They're not the Mission Impossible squad. Have you ever been in SD? It can easily take a 1/2 hour in normal conditions sometimes to get from point A to point B. This was record flooding with many streets impassable and traffic jams everywhere. I don't know where the ambulance came from in relation to the collapsed wall nor how long it was before someone actually called 911, and who knows if it actually took an hour(she seems like a whinner to me),but you're not in Kansas anymore.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
4. Traffic jams get worse in Santo Domingo; people are avoiding underpasses
https://dr1.com/forums/threads/.408692/#post-5716715
You don’t want to be driving at rush hours if you can in Santo Domingo. Traffic jams that were bad have gotten worse as sections of the city’s most important thoroughfare, the 27 de Febrero Ave. are closed off for repairs after the 18 November 2023 underpass retainer wall collapse. The collapse occurred when the rainwater levels reached a record 431 mm in around four hours.(That's about 17 inches).

Listin Diario reports on the long traffic jams in the city.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This woman needs to identify the clinic that refused her. That's not permitted any longer.

Reactions: drstock

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This woman needs to identify the clinic that refused her. That's not permitted any longer.
I think it needs to be made clearer what she meant by "rejected". Private clinics will not admit a patient without insurance, but they will treat them in the emergency room. Many, many stories about this at CMC in Cabarete.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The article says that the first emergency room rejected her because she didn't have insurance. I'm sure that's because it was a private clinic.

Exactly, thank you. There's the answer, if that was the case.

Have you ever been in SD? It can easily take a 1/2 hour in normal conditions sometimes to get from point A to point B. This was record flooding with many streets impassable and traffic jams everywhere. I don't know where the ambulance came from in relation to the collapsed wall nor how long it was before someone actually called 911, and who knows if it actually took an hour(she seems like a whinner to me),but you're not in Kansas anymore.

I have, thank you. I have even lived in SD. I know the traffic, as pointed out many times. I also realize that we're talking about the DR and not "Kansas" (I trust you here, I have never really visited the US, just transferred through a few airports), and this is exactly my point. In my humble opinion, the 911 system is not really that good necessarily (for example, what good does an ambulance, if it cannot get to the patient...), there's work to be done there as well... You mention Florida and evacuations... That's excellent, preventative action on the part of emergency services in the US...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly, thank you. There's the answer, if that was the case.

I have, thank you. I have even lived in SD. I know the traffic, as pointed out many times. I also realize that we're talking about the DR and not "Kansas" (I trust you here, I have never really visited the US, just transferred through a few airports), and this is exactly my point. In my humble opinion, the 911 system is not really that good necessarily (for example, what good does an ambulance, if it cannot get to the patient...), there's work to be done there as well... You mention Florida and evacuations... That's excellent, preventative action on the part of emergency services in the US...
Another thing to consider is that 911 was probably flooded (pun intended) with calls. Who knows how long it took before one finally got through(?). And you can be sure it's not staffed as well as in the US or Canada. Also, at least here in Cabarete, when it rains, even normal rains, the cellphone service doesn't work well - at least not with Altice.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
What can I say? If you don't have insurance, private clinics will not accept you.
They will accept you but you have to make a deposit in cash or by credit card. For example, back in 2009 the deposit asked from me to be taken to intensive care right from the emergency room and then hospitalized without any insurance was 10,000 pesos. I have no idea how much they ask now.

Remember this photo? It says it all.
g25K5joJKU4fqPDn-5lbaRlYNhV5ekiJBs6KvIu-RxA.jpg