No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
The front door takes a beating from the sun. It only needs
to be refinished on the outside. We live in POP, Torre Alta. Any
recommendations? thanks

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Is it a Fancy door ? What sort of wood ? We refinished our front door a few years ago removing all the old varnish with a belt sander to bare wood and then smoothing it down with hand sanding. First coat was with Yacht Varnish thinned about 15 % to seal the wood and then the following day a coat of unthinned Yacht varnish.
After a couple of years, lightly sand by hand and re-varnish again. Just coming up to another re-varnish.
Dont let your maid/help OIL the door as the varnish will not stick. We had to leave ours for a couple of years for the oil to go before we could start this process.

Basically if it is great wood - do it yourself.

Olly. ( No Team)

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
My wife and I are physically unable to do the work and need someone to do it for us. So I'm asking if any one knows someone that does this type of work.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Make sure the door is caioba as the termites will destroy pine.
We ended up replacing all our interior doors with metal as termites ate them one by one along with wood closets.
Our front door is caioba and is the sole survivor.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Make sure the door is caioba as the termites will destroy pine.
We ended up replacing all our interior doors with metal as termites ate them one by one along with wood closets.
Our front door is caioba and is the sole survivor.
[/QUOTE
Absolutely, if your budget can afford Caoba as it is expensive. I have seen some beautiful carved ones here.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
No PlaceLike home:
where do you live? I am also looking for someone to strip and revarnish my front door. It has carvings and insets that present some difficulty. Kind of put my search for someone on hold but maybe will renew it. My door is solid and works but the finish is ugly. In Cabrera.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Sorry “ no place like home”, you said you live near POP and I missed it. So I guess we are looking for someone on the North Coast?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pularvik

Chelo is a good man for that....
I don't have a contact for him but he made chairs for Travel Hippo -
she might have it

He works across the street from my house... his work shed

or

Go Past Arturo's restaurant near the La Catalina corner and look for an orange bldg.... they are wood workers

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
German guy up the La Mulata road in Sosua, just before the Colmado on the right.
He repaired and varnished my door after an anccident. He's a furniture, wood worker
has a workshop and a few employees. Don't know if he would travel to PP ?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks Bill W and aeng. I’ll check out the Cabrera leads and maybe check in with the German guy next time I,m in Sosua.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Oil based paint if you have the time to let it dry and do two coats. I have yet to see a varnish that can withstand direct sun for long.
But of course it covers the wood, but then flaking varnish over wood is not a good look.
How about an awning too ?