Word of the day

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Brunette is morena in standard Spanish, but in the DR moreno/a means dark-skinned or black, so a brunette in the DR could be described as anything from rubia to trigueña to India clara.

I made this point in the Culture Smart book. I am olive-skinned with dark brown hair and brown eyes, a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern look. In Spain I am always morena. In the DR, like anyone else with lighter skin, I'm sometimes described as rubia. In standard Spanish rubio/a is blond/e. So when Amelia Vega won Miss Universe and the media in Spain described her as morena, she must have done a double-take.

It would be interesting to hear how other Latin American countries make the distinction.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Folks,

I am referring to hair colour in post #53 not skin colour. That should answer your questions.

Meat

Aug 3, 2020
DR
Both are used. I am black I am called morena, negra and morenita to describe me.
Negra is often used as a term endearment as in mi negra (both men and women). In piropos, always morena.
I was corrected upon first arrival. When a female was comparing herself to me I was told Blanco y Chocolate...pronounced Choco-latte. My .02
No negra I was told.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Both are used. I am black I am called morena, negra and morenita to describe me.
Negra is often used as a term endearment as in mi negra (both men and women). In piropos, always morena.
I don’t know you, but if you are “black”, they might call you prieta as like Haitian. If not so you might called be a morena. What’s in a name, they call me Rubio and I look a Turk or Greek.

Reactions: Africaida

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Folks,

Refer to post #53 the word of the day is pelirrojo/ pelirroja and the question asked was about hair colour not skin colour.

Any more posts about skin colour or off topic posts will be deleted.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 20- sede (see the link in the first post for the meaning). La sede

A good word to know especially if you work in certain sectors. For ex, banking, financial services

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 22- charla (see the link in the first post for the meaning)

* This is an everyday word

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 23- festejar (see the link in the first post for the meaning)

Here is my example of usage:

Cuando no haya más casos de Coronavirus vamos a festejar.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Aug 24- viudo, viuda (see the link in the first post for the meaning)
As well as the primary meaning, in Spain a meat-free dish is sometimes described as viudo - potaje viudo, garbanzos viudos, etc. In the DR there is a vegetable soup called sopa boba.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
As well as the primary meaning, in Spain a meat-free dish is sometimes described as viudo - potaje viudo, garbanzos viudos, etc. In the DR there is a vegetable soup called sopa boba.

I have never heard of it but I am not surprised since I am not too familiar with all things Spain (except the language of course). The most curious aspect to me was the name of the dish. I thought why garbanzos viudos and not just garbanzos o potaje de garbanzos. I found a recipe that briefly explains why the dish is given that name. I don’t like chickpeas. Therefore, there is a very high probability that I would be eating something else if given the choice.