Words, words and more words

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just thought of another word while posting in another thread.

To park:

Estacionar or Estacionarse

Aparcar

Parquear
-anglicism

-MP.
Even more of an Anglicism in Spain where a car park (parking lot) is el parking. Unusual because Anglicisms are more common in Latin American Spanish.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Even more of an Anglicism in Spain where a car park (parking lot) is el parking. Unusual because Anglicisms are more common in Latin American Spanish.

But maybe that is to differentiate it from aparcamiento which is a parking lot in the traditional sense.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is another word:

Jeans or Bluejeans

Bluejeans, jeans or bluyín (the phonetic spelling also accepted by the RAE)

Vaqueros

Mahones

Tejanos

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here is another word:

Jeans or Bluejeans

Bluejeans, jeans or bluyín (the phonetic spelling also accepted by the RAE)

Vaqueros

Mahones

Tejanos
I've never heard mahones.
I came across another word for jeans in Cuba but can't remember it. I looked it up and found pitusa (after an old brand name from the 1950s) but still not sure it was the same word I heard.
Pantalones de mezclilla, tejanos and Levis (as in the brand name) are other words for jeans in different parts of the Spanish-speaking world.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I came across another word for jeans in Cuba but can't remember it. I looked it up and found pitusa (after an old brand name from the 1950s) but still not sure it was the same word I heard.
Pantalones de mezclilla, tejanos and Levis (as in the brand name) are other words for jeans in different parts of the Spanish-speaking world.

What is the most common here?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

I don’t think mahones is common but it exists. I don’t know how I know it either but I do.

Have a look here:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Some of the many words in Spanish for beans. The ones in bold are used in the Dominican Republic.
Habas, habichuelas, frijoles, judias, caraotas, alubias, porotos, vainitas.

More names are listed in this thread.

Yes, there are plenty of words for beans in Spanish. The ones you listed are quite common then there is the Colombian variation fríjol vs the standard frijol.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I have never heard of Mahones but have heard and know people that have said Mahon to describe jeans. It is used but not as common.

Wisin and Yandel had a hit song called Pegao where they use the word to describe tight jeans.

part of lyrics:

Ella lo baila pegao, pegao, pegao, pegao
Y el mahon bien apretao
Bien pegao, pegao, pegao (Ehhh...)

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Check out the comments in this blog.

Reactions: Chirimoya

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a video to support the topic of this thread. Spanish is one language with a lot variety but mutually intelligible. It is unusual that Spanish speakers from different countries can’t understand each other. Words, expressions and pronunciation will vary and you can run into some challenges but considering how different it can be from region to region people understand each other.