*** World Cup - Football - Venues - Chit Chat ***

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Rocky's World Cup Schedule

We are planning on showing all afternoon and evening games. We will also show morning games if there is a demand. When two games coincide we will take a vote to see which one is the most popular and play that one.

Rest assured that the games people want to see will be on the big screen.

Take care,

Rick

lins150

May 13, 2009
Kahuna's showing all games

Kahuna Bar in Cabarete will be showing all games - including the morning games.

Mar 2, 2008
It was a wonderful turn out at Rocky's for the much anticipated USA - England match.

Although I did feel like the lone Yankee in King Arthur's court, the crowd was simply great, aside from the handful of hooligans throwing back shots of tequila whenever a goal was scored :).

Even though some of us would have preferred to see a decisive victory (one way or the other) I believe a good time was had by all. The large projection screen was a real hit, the venue was friendly and pleasant, and the service was impeccable.

Well done, Rocky's.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
5 Star Sports on the Malecon in Santo Domingo is open for ALL the games and a DR1 poster is a manager there. Cool guy!

The place is really comfortable, has 30+ large flat screens.
They serve food, beer pitchers, drinks, coffee etc. Plus you can place a bet if needed :)

It's located about 50M from the Isla gas station next door to Vesuvio's.
You can gain access from Independencia or the Malecon and it has lots of front and back parking.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Giant sceen, very clear -- Rocky's is the place !

Try it. You will like it! Also all NBA games! And no distracting ''background'' music

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
How was the tv reception at Rocky's?. I got outvoted and watched at another venue where the reception was cr##!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Reception was superb - only improvement we could suggest to make the viewing even better would be black-out curtains behind the screen but that would be a huge task considering the area involved I would think.

Maybe the theatre has black-out curtains which could be loaned???

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
Honestly, I wasn't the least bit bothered by the back-ground light. The reception was great and the excellent projection screen made for very easy viewing, in my opinion.

While perhaps a black-out curtain might improve the quality incrementally, I really don't believe it would be worth the effort. On top of that, I don't believe there is much of anything in the DR that would, could, or should be loaned or borrowed. Everything comes at a price, and, to me at least, any price wouldn't be worth the trouble.

In other words, I saw both goal with perfect clarity. If I were allowed to comment further, I would. 'Nuff said.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Honestly, I wasn't the least bit bothered by the back-ground light. The reception was great and the excellent projection screen made for very easy viewing, in my opinion.

While perhaps a black-out curtain might improve the quality incrementally, I really don't believe it would be worth the effort. On top of that, I don't believe there is much of anything in the DR that would, could, or should be loaned or borrowed. Everything comes at a price, and, to me at least, any price wouldn't be worth the trouble.

In other words, I saw both goal with perfect clarity. If I were allowed to comment further, I would. 'Nuff said.

Guess I was being very pernickity in my comment but it was the only slight improvement that could have been made IMHO - otherwise it was perfect with excellent reception and we all saw the 2 goals and all play totally clearly I agree.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
In Santo Domingo almost every place I have been with a TV is showing the games, other major locations I would suggest are

All of Hooters / Outback / Deck Bar in Acropolis are showing games.

Aparently Camden Bar (British bar) is doing happy hour during the England games (Plaza Andalucia I, Abraham Gustavo Mejia Ricart esq. Lincoln)

Sesto Senso on the deck at the front of Diamond Mall (JFK esq. Lincoln) has been showing the games.

Hotel BQ already mentioned has always been a big football haunt for years, especially for European games. Sarasota just off Jiminez Moya (Churchill)

(Yesterday I watched the Germany game at Isabel Villas Country Club which has a giant projections screen for the games in the bar.)

Places I would expect you can see it but couldn't confirm would also be Birdie Time bar on Federico Geraldino (between Sumner and Ricart), they've always seemed to show the sports but don't know what time they're opening, and Cane in Lincoln almost up to Sumner (near Aduanas), as they have screens for most sports (normally baseball) but expect if you ask they'd put it on.

my 2 cents...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
If the US and England both draw their next 2 games then they would both have the same goal difference ie they will have both conceeded the same amount as they scored, so the team that actually scored the most would go through.

Having said that, England will win their next 2 games!!!!!!!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Speaking of the England game friday, and discussing with others who came last friday too, it seems a better location for most at Hooters @ Acropolis, or at least somewhere in the city..

Getting over 27 and down to Malecon at lunchtime, and back up at rush hour just seem like too much hard work...!?

England fans, let us know...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
i know it is not a venue... but am trying to watch the world cup by Sky... and the quality is simply awfull... is it my dish or is it just sky???

btw... morning games at 7.30 am??? Those South-Africans should have the politeness to change their clocks.... lol

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If the US and England both draw their next 2 games then they would both have the same goal difference ie they will have both conceeded the same amount as they scored, so the team that actually scored the most would go through.

Having said that, England will win their next 2 games!!!!!!!

usually such is named the American Dream, get it all.
but England in the way they arrived at the WC Finals?
wish ya all the best.
Mike