World's most dangerous roads are in DR !

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The new autopistas are appalling made . For example there may be a sign saying that your turnoff is in 2 kilometres but in 1 kilometre ther is a very small lane of less than 100 metres for the exit so that if you are behind a SUV or a truck it can so easily be mixed but the Dominicans make a last ditched attempt to exit and cause havoc . I do agree that it is best to be a very defensive driver here and to have good driving lights at night to pick up the pasolas and motors without tail lights .
Even if you are 100% in the right in an accident here you cannot win in a court against a Dominican,,,they will perjur themselves without any fear of penalty

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
HUG, where have you driven? Where have you ridden but not driven?

I have driven all over the world. All over Europe, much of Africa, Australia, and obviously the Caribbean. Some I have driven and ridden, but all driven a car.

I have only ridden in Corfu, Greece, never driven a car there.

Why?

The drivers are f*ckin' absolute idiots here! The road conditions certainly don't help anything but holy not looking where you are going, not staying in your lanes, just assuming people will stop, not turning off highbeams, not using signals and if they do it's the wrong one, passing you to then stop suddenly 10 seconds later etc...

I like the adventure of driving here, I get a kick out of it but man...absolutely oblivious!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's not necessarily bad driving, just different. Accommodating the surroundings.
But alright, I'm not gunna win this one.:cross-eye

Everywhere foreigners go they find bad drivers. I've never in my life heard anyone return from a trip and when asked, 'did you have a nice time', and they would answer 'yes great, and the drivers are f-cking awesome'. Seems hand in hand with people off native soil, what they know or expect.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Where are those who do not drive here unless light and outside of rush hour drive previously? The drivers are alright, it is usually the conditions of the roads that makes people crash, avoiding pot holes, full beam lights (people don't keep them on full they are usually working off one setting) with no divider markings on the roads, or often or even usual people are drunk, but they'd probably be alright is they were sober. If you go into the city people are not bad drivers, there is just too much traffic going to the same place and one way systems that are terribly thought out, that's not bad driving, there's not that many accidents inside the city. There is even a section on Las Americas at the end of my road where the correct code is to drive head on into flat out highway traffic for 100 mtrs before crossing at the junction, this isn't the drivers fault, it's the best way of dealing with what we have.
You are so wrong that it is hard to know, and I will not try to argue your absurd reply here. Just about every single car, Suv,
truck that I see racing along is driven by someone with No Respect for any other car on the road. It seems that Dominicans get behind wheel and they Need to race and pass any other vehicle in front of them. They tailgate and it seems try to
intimidate all cars ahead of them. They don't care about anything except getting ahead. Dominican drivers are the absolute
worst sorts I have ever seen in any country I have been in. Again Dominicans have zero respect for life while driving. They
will go through and around lights, signs, marks on roads. They do not care..so Surprise there are many many accidents and
fatalities. I always wonder where these animals/brutes are going to and pray that I make it safely to where I am going. I also wonder why cars don't blow horns or do anything to express rage when they are almost pushed off the road. Do not blame it
on the road!!! Blame it on the drivers!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It's not necessarily bad driving, just different. Accommodating the surroundings.

Everywhere foreigners go they find bad drivers. I've never in my life heard anyone return from a trip and when asked, 'did you have a nice time', and they would answer 'yes great, and the drivers are f-cking awesome'. Seems hand in hand with people off native soil, what they know or expect.

Of course it is much harder and nerve racking driving on unknown roads, hence the fact people go back home complaining about " native drivers ".
place de la concorde in Paris traumatised me. So did Milan, Italy.

But here in the dr it is a whole new league of psycho drivers with no common sense whatsoever. Defies logic thinking. Total mayhem.
I have witnessed dangerous driving in europe too. But at some point or other the dangerous ones always end up being taking out of circulation, ie prison, canceled driving license......
Here in the dr......... pffffffff. Overtaking on solid white lines ( for the roads with lines of course ), overtaking on the wrong side, overtaking other carswho are overtaking, speeding in general, speeding in villages, no respect for pedestrians (or anything weaker than u....), and on and on and on.......

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well, like I said, I'll not win this one as people are preprogramed from where ever they have arrived from. Different rules and driving ethics means those not accustomed will find it a bit less natural. Seems DR invites more timid drivers than most everywhere else I've been, as it is usual for people to talk about the driving. As it is everywhere else in the world when not from those parts.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are so wrong that it is hard to know, and I will not try to argue your absurd reply here. Just about every single car, Suv,
truck that I see racing along is driven by someone with No Respect for any other car on the road. It seems that Dominicans get behind wheel and they Need to race and pass any other vehicle in front of them. They tailgate and it seems try to
intimidate all cars ahead of them. They don't care about anything except getting ahead. Dominican drivers are the absolute
worst sorts I have ever seen in any country I have been in. Again Dominicans have zero respect for life while driving. They
will go through and around lights, signs, marks on roads. They do not care..so Surprise there are many many accidents and
fatalities. I always wonder where these animals/brutes are going to and pray that I make it safely to where I am going. I also wonder why cars don't blow horns or do anything to express rage when they are almost pushed off the road. Do not blame it
on the road!!! Blame it on the drivers!

i have friends who are members of the NY-NJ Port Authority Police. some days they work the Port Authority Terminal area in Upper Manhattan. contrary to police public denials, they do have quotas for moving violations and parking tickets. everybody loves to work that area because the quotas can be gleaned by 11am. guys in that area have no concept of driving etiquette. they run red lights, block the crosswalk, pass the school bus when the lights are flashing, blow their horns in school zones, you name it. they do not give a rat's ass about the next guy, and that is what makes them earth's most atrocious drivers. the road has nothing to do with it. no other caribbean island has a network of autobahns, but only in the DR is there mayhem and carnage.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Driving anywhere in the world is "Russian Roulette". Sooner or later everyone who drives is involved in a crash.

In the DR drivers have adapted to the realities of the roadway. Foreigners adapt too, if they spend enough time here. Because of the unlicensed drivers, lack of public education, poorly maintained vehicles, bad attitudes, even worse driving habits, domestic animals all over the roads, road surface conditions, poor night lightening, mucho alcohol, and sparse moving violation enforcement by the authorities, driving here is akin to playing Russian Roulette with two bullets in the chamber during the day and three at night.

We make our own decisions on what level of risk we are prepared to assume and just like the the average Dominican, the longer we get away with it, the more confident we are that our decision making process is correct.

To those who choose not to drive after dark. I salute you and and say, "I'm with you." I too choose not to drive after dark. There may come a time when I have to, but for now, there is enough daylight for me to get everything done that I need to. To those who make a different choice, more power to you. It's your life, your vehicle, your conscience.

When you are out and about at night and see an object on the side of the road glowing brighter than any street light, it's just me in my safety vest walking to wherever I need to be. Please don't stare at me, you tend to steer where you are looking...

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
i have friends who are members of the NY-NJ Port Authority Police. some days they work the Port Authority Terminal area in Upper Manhattan. contrary to police public denials, they do have quotas for moving violations and parking tickets. everybody loves to work that area because the quotas can be gleaned by 11am. guys in that area have no concept of driving etiquette. they run red lights, block the crosswalk, pass the school bus when the lights are flashing, blow their horns in school zones, you name it. they do not give a rat's ass about the next guy, and that is what makes them earth's most atrocious drivers. the road has nothing to do with it. no other caribbean island has a network of autobahns, but only in the DR is there mayhem and carnage.
Ahhhh... Dominicans in NY!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Germans seem to be good drivers in IMO. I think it may have something to do with the costs involved with obtaining a license..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In my experience, some Germans will risk death because the sign says they have the right away approaching an intersection. Case in point, Leopard tank entering intersection, Mercedes with right away approaching intersection and tank. Mercedes broadsides tank, loses badly.

The Germans have their driving quirks. Flashing hi-beams to encourage you to move over and let them pass - if you don't they ride your tail doing 140 km/h or faster. In Germany it is illegal to use your horn unless in an emergency situation and heavy trucks can't be on the roads on Sundays.

Crashes in Germany tend to be spectacular due to the speeds involved and rather solidly built vehicles. For the most part it is a pleasure to drive in Germany and many other parts of Europe. Then there are the other countries who are competing with the DR for the "I don't GAF" award.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
That hi-beam flashing thing works wonders; especially when a 911 is fixin to crawl up your arse going 250 kilometers/hr

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In my experience, some Germans will risk death because the sign says they have the right away approaching an intersection. Case in point, Leopard tank entering intersection, Mercedes with right away approaching intersection and tank. Mercedes broadsides tank, loses badly.

The Germans have their driving quirks. Flashing hi-beams to encourage you to move over and let them pass - if you don't they ride your tail doing 140 km/h or faster. In Germany it is illegal to use your horn unless in an emergency situation and heavy trucks can't be on the roads on Sundays.

Crashes in Germany tend to be spectacular due to the speeds involved and rather solidly built vehicles. For the most part it is a pleasure to drive in Germany and many other parts of Europe. Then there are the other countries who are competing with the DR for the "I don't GAF" award.

I found driving in Greece a challenge. Italy was much easier and they are crazy drivers.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Flashing lights is standard European, not specific to Germany. It is communication for, on coming traffic who forgot to dim their lights. Long trucks that have over taken you, you can flash them so they know they can safely pull back in, they are passed you. As stated, move over I'm coming through. On coming cars coming onto a dual carriageway, watch your speed there is a parked police trap up the road on your side. And many more. Blowing your horn in Europe is generally only used a second prior to a crash or to tell some old ditherer they are about to reverse into a wall.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I found driving in Greece a challenge. Italy was much easier and they are crazy drivers.

Yes, Greece is properly crazy. When the Acropolis rally comes through they do not even close off the roads. You have locals in high performance cars racing professional rally drivers through the city. Is very crazy in Greece.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That hi-beam flashing thing works wonders; especially when a 911 is fixin to crawl up your arse going 250 kilometers/hr

Tell me about it! Check mirror, nothing visible, blink and this Carrera has appeared out of nowhere and is sitting 8 inches off the bumper with an intensely annoyed look on the driver's face.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Horn blowing is DR is none communication, people do not hear it as it is standard, and so pointless. You know you've integrated into driving ethics completely when you start blowing your horn before the lights have even changed for the car in front to pull away. I find that hilarious and kind of proves the point that the drivers doing it do not really know why they are blowing the horn themselves, very funny.