Would $1600 a month allow 1 person to live comfortably in the DR ?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Like the USA, there is an oversupply of lawyers here. I believe there are many that don't make that much.
like any industry there are top earners and low performers. I have contact with a few attorneys, for work and socially, they are earning decent coin.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think the key word was 'comfortable'. No $1,600/month doesn't give you a buffer for medical or other unexpected expense. Remember as a renter you are typically responsible fore repairs.
So when the water heater or inverter burn out or wires melt, with no money you may be stuck without services

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not familiar with Pto. Plata, but I wouldn't be comfortable in a $300/mo apartment. In Cabarete, you'd be living in the Callejon(barrio) if you only had $300mo. You'd have to pay $500/mo bare minimum for something I would consider remotelycomfortable(no motos roaring down he street at all hours, no colmados nearby blasting music, no roosters next door). Definitely no girlfriends with $1600/mo and you won't won't be eating at any restaurants that Big recommends.

Reactions: Big and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm not familiar with Pto. Plata, but I wouldn't be comfortable in a $300/mo apartment. In Cabarete, you'd be living in the Callejon(barrio) if you only had $300mo. You'd have to pay $500/mo bare minimum for something I would consider remotelycomfortable(no motos roaring down he street at all hours, no colmados nearby blasting music, no roosters next door). Definitely no girlfriends with $1600/mo and you won't won't be eating at any restaurants that Big recommends.
NO question Cabarete would not be the place for such a person on that limiting of a budget unless they were happy in La Cienaga.
I suspect the Callejon is more upscale these days. Perhaps Barrio Blanco? Clearly never eating at Big's haunts.

Reactions: Big

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I don't know the area, but there are reasonably decent looking furnished apartments available for under 800 $us.
The one costing $25,000 DOP would be the best situated, close to Bayardo, next from that would be the $23,500, actually in Bayardo. Both of those adverts are from last year, but you get the idea of what's possible. Both of those are quiet areas, although the 25k one is closer to Malecon, which an be noisy on Sunday nights, otherwise it's fine. You see many elderly people walking/running/with their dogs there...

Reactions: bob saunders

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
10k rent
2k electric
1.6k cable and internet
5k insurance
1.5 k water
2k gasoline
2.5 cell phones
those are my fixed bills for me my 11 year old daughter my misses and her 19 year old daughter.
My budget is 65 k and very rarely do I go over, sometimes I have a surplus.
Don't drink, don't smoke and don't run around. All depends on how you want to live.

Unit5

Jun 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
You should try having fun without drinking. Your body and mind will both thank you.

on that note....lol....

IMG_0620.jpg

Speedy Dolphin

Jul 26, 2022
USA
10k rent
2k electric
1.6k cable and internet
5k insurance
1.5 k water
2k gasoline
2.5 cell phones
those are my fixed bills for me my 11 year old daughter my misses and her 19 year old daughter.
My budget is 65 k and very rarely do I go over, sometimes I have a surplus.
Don't drink, don't smoke and don't run around. All depends on how you want to live.
What is the current exchange rate. US Dollars to Pesos

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
IMG_20240321_074528.jpg

Everyone's experience is different but with these numbers yes I think you can live relatively well with $1600 per month in paradise...heck once in a while you may enjoy a carnita on the side...jjj

Reactions: Gadfly

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think the key word was 'comfortable'. No $1,600/month doesn't give you a buffer for medical or other unexpected expense. Remember as a renter you are typically responsible fore repairs.
So when the water heater or inverter burn out or wires melt, with no money you may be stuck without services
Really? I would not dream of charging my clients for things like that that are out of their control. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!

Reactions: Juan Bosch

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Really? I would not dream of charging my clients for things like that that are out of their control. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!
I've been with the same landlady now for over 3.5 years. She's always taken care of structural issues. Heck, she even bought us light bulbs one time. Now when we got the first place, I paid for the inverter and the batteries. But when the washing machine broke and the electricity went off in the house, she took care of it.