Would $1600 a month allow 1 person to live comfortably in the DR ?

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Where I live the Dominican landlord does only one thing.....he collects the rent. Dosent care about water electric wires plumbing painting outside mantainence........ collects the rent that's all.
yes, that is a Dominican landlord; I have an Italian Dueno who lives on the property, I have lived in my apartment for five years, I've had to have a refrigerator, a washing machine, an air conditioner and 3 water heaters replaced in that time; the AC unit was replaced in 3 days, the frig and washer were replaced in less than 1 day, the water heaters were replaced in less than 12 hours, all at no cost to me; and he's only raised my rent one time a total of 5%; and he keeps the buildings and outside immaculate

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
In post # 8 by the OP, it says they have enough money to buy a car and pay rent without dipping into monthly retirement money, if I was reading it correctly. If $1600.00 is what they will have after paying rent, then I would say that is a decent amount to live on. The OP stated they are not looking to live an extravagant lifestyle. IMO the most important of all is to have a safety net, money set aside if anything that can and will go wrong. Our monthly budget (we try to have one) isn't always the same each month. Things come up. Sometimes we spend more, sometimes we spend less.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Guy tried to charge me 800 pesos the other day.
Sized you up and figured you could afford to pay it. Most I've ever paid was 250 down in the Capital. No doubt different people on this forum have different experiences in the DR when it comes to the day to days.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Sized you up and figured you could afford to pay it. Most I've ever paid was 250 down in the Capital. No doubt different people on this forum have different experiences in the DR when it comes to the day to days.
yes and there is no way I can pass for a Dominican they see me and say here comes the gringo talking some horrible Spanish...

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have lived in my apartment for five years, I've had to have a refrigerator, a washing machine, an air conditioner and 3 water heaters replaced in that time; the AC unit was replaced in 3 days, the frig and washer were replaced in less than 1 day, the water heaters were replaced in less than 12 hours, all at no cost to me; and he's only raised my rent one time a total of 5%; and he keeps the buildings and outside immaculate
It's none of my business but could not help but notice that you have had all those items broken down during five years? Seems a bit lot unless they were old when you got there... And a new water heater almost every year?

Reactions: tht

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Guy tried to charge me 800 pesos the other day
I stopped in to the newer barber shop on Pedro Clisante in Sosua,I forget the name of it,it is near Sosua Lights. I asked them how much for a haircut and they unabashedly said 700 pesos, I laughed and walked out and went to my regular guy for 250....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I didn’t had much issues understanding what she was saying in English. You don’t even need a lot of patience to understand it, perhaps something that is lacking in some. :unsure:

Strong accent, yes. Notice she has a lot of influence from Spanish, yes. Issue to understand it, no.

The guy comes through as a nice serious guy. Some folks here have serious issues. :censored:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I didn’t had much issues understanding what she was saying in English. You don’t even need a lot of patience to understand it, perhaps something that is lacking in some. :unsure:

Strong accent, yes. Notice she has a lot of influence from Spanish, yes. Issue to understand it, no.

The guy comes through as a nice serious guy. Some folks here have serious issues. :censored:
How do you enjoy living on 1600 a month?

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy