Xioam cell phones? What's the story here in the DR?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A "friend" of mine mentioned this phone in a conversation this week. Said it was a great phone. I went on-line and saw it had been black listed in the USA prior to March 2021 and is under review in the courts. A web site in china say "Cannot ship to the DR. "
Well, I'm no longer interested but now the story behind all this intrigues me.
Anyone know what's with this phone?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Xiaomi is a great phone. Excellent value. I have been using it for a few years and will continue doing so in the future.

Reactions: SKY and johne

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A "friend" of mine mentioned this phone in a conversation this week. Said it was a great phone. I went on-line and saw it had been black listed in the USA prior to March 2021 and is under review in the courts. A web site in china say "Cannot ship to the DR. "

There are no restrictions on Xiaomi for the DR.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
We just bought 2, very good phones! My wife had one for the past 2 years, fantastic quality for the price. There is an official Xiaomi RD shop, prices aren't that bad. If you don't want to get tracked, just install Blokada.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
what better way to tap ones phone line....than to build their Phone?...............

The US got around that by inserting moles at the manufacturers of hardware and software. They plant backdoors and toolkits galore.

The US went after Huawei because it couldn’t penetrate their company to plant the moles.
It was pure silence after those EU countries put Huawei hardware and software in their communication networks. The spy net was shut out.
When it carried out the spying on EU leaders, it was via Ericsson and Nokia systems with their moles. Snowden published it all.

Here in DR Huawei is alive and well…

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I guess what you describe is just related to mail unreliability, as the phones have noissue here. Claro sells them. I've also seen them being sold at local cell phone shops.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I guess what you describe is just related to mail unreliability, as the phones have noissue here. Claro sells them. I've also seen them being sold at local cell phone shops.
No, it's my fault. I asked his advise and he said "Xiaomi". First thing I saw when I started my research was they had been blacklisted' Not looking good. I saw the case is under review in he US courts but I discounted that. Why bother. Then I went to a trade company in China and the first thing I sa was "We don't ship to DR." At that point I said...why bother with this?

Now, I know they are the third largest seller of cel phones. LOL. One must research in depth and not glance and go.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The US got around that by inserting moles at the manufacturers of hardware and software. They plant backdoors and toolkits galore.

The US went after Huawei because it couldn’t penetrate their company to plant the moles.
It was pure silence after those EU countries put Huawei hardware and software in their communication networks. The spy net was shut out.
When it carried out the spying on EU leaders, it was via Ericsson and Nokia systems with their moles. Snowden published it all.

Here in DR Huawei is alive and well…
well now... remember the Americans invented phone taps, when they started the FBI... J edgar Hoover was in charge and he tapped the phones of John Dillinger.. and remember what happened to john D. ?...........