Yet another chef knife casualty..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She understands money, make her buy you a new one, LOL. Seriously you need to have a place where you can secure private or valuable items that only you have access to. I am glad I don't have that problem. My wife will not lend any of my tools...etc to anyone and will not use them either, other than the hammer.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have a favorite scissors. It's barber quality and expensive. Use it to trim facial hair only. Visited wife's family in the Campo and left my scissors on the table. Caught a distant relative cutting the feathers surrounding his chickens butt hole with my beautiful scissors. Even though I sterilized the scissors every time I use them I remember the chicken. Distant relative never understood why I was angry. Just a strange gringo.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I have a favorite scissors. It's barber quality and expensive. Use it to trim facial hair only. Visited wife's family in the Campo and left my scissors on the table. Caught a distant relative cutting the feathers surrounding his chickens butt hole with my beautiful scissors. Even though I sterilized the scissors every time I use them I remember the chicken. Distant relative never understood why I was angry. Just a strange gringo.

Must be a very special chicken to get that quality of fowl grooming.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No one takes care of you like a loving Dominicana. Got pneumonia and spent 5 days in Clinical Brutal in PP. Wife slept in my room and brought me all sorts of take out food so I was not forced to eat the hospital fare. Never been treated better in my life than by my amazing wife. Regarding knife obsession I could (when I still had a knife left) slice a tomato so thin you could see through it. Good for blt sandwich. Just something pleasurable about using a really good knife.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Brought down my complete Chicago Cutlery set. Always razor sharp, had it for years. First they complained the knives were too sharp and people got cut fishing around in the dishwater. ....

FWIW good knives should be hand washed, not put in the dishwasher. So It's probably a good think you have the last one hidden away.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
This is what I dont understand. Why cant you tell her "Dont mess with these knives! Use these(with the stainless steel tip and the glued plastic stamped with Hecho im China). If I catch you using my Cuchillos Japones/Aleman/Noruega I am throwing you out."

Many do understand and take heed when you explain. Sometimes there is someone who won't listen to reason then one can apply the stick in liberal measure. 

Apr 7, 2014
This wont work because they were going to ask you to buy them new stuff anyway, so you just made it easier. There is no teaching people here.
Brings me to another question, If your woman is a housewife what does she need clothes for? The latest fashion or leftovers from the Brady Bunch. Why does she need NEW stuff? Where is she going? Who does she need to see? She has you so she clearly isnt planning on working a job because your money is covering housing and food.
It sounds rhetorical but it isnt. Why does she need clothes if she is living in your well furnished house eating your high caloric food? There you have it, incentive to not damage my fancy cuchillos de Europa.

Apr 7, 2014
She understands money, make her buy you a new one, LOL. Seriously you need to have a place where you can secure private or valuable items that only you have access to. I am glad I don't have that problem. My wife will not lend any of my tools...etc to anyone and will not use them either, other than the hammer.
That would work. No salon visits for you until you repay the costs of new knives. Shoot, repaying you for those fancy T-fal knives may keep her out the salon for a year and a half.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i feel you pain regarding knives............Mine were only victorinox, but they were used for chopping wood. doh.

I also returned one day and found my favourite sneakers/trainers filled with soil and a plant, sitting on the corrugated iron roof.

She did not like me wearing them as they were old and had a hole in them.......i was gutted.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i feel you pain regarding knives............Mine were only victorinox, but they were used for chopping wood. doh.

I also returned one day and found my favourite sneakers/trainers filled with soil and a plant, sitting on the corrugated iron roof.

She did not like me wearing them as they were old and had a hole in them.......i was gutted.

i think what she did with your sneakers is oftentimes referred to as making one's point.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Dominicans rarely have sense of what is patina. Nice shoes with patina are old and to be thrown away.  A classic car is " un cacharro" , so don't blame her.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans rarely have sense of what is patina. Nice shoes with patina are old and to be thrown away.  A classic car is " un cacharro" , so don't blame her.

that is because to Dominicans, appearance is everything. so, when you approach a government building, all the buscones have briefcases, even though there isn't even a spider inside. old sneakers make you look poor, and that cannot be good, in their minds.

May 29, 2006
I brought down two cheap "bench" knives. One went to the sister in law and the kids ruined the other one chopping sugar cane on the sidewalk..

I was more upset about her not telling me than destroying the knife. She of course thought it was crazy that such an expensive knife could break so easily.

The irony is the remaining six inches of blade with a dull edge will work great with a hammer cracking shells now.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I saw one the other day en la cancilleria with a Harris tweed jacket. My wife and I amused to see him. Feeling for style ...yes, but a little to warm :D

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I saw one the other day en la cancilleria with a Harris tweed jacket. My wife and I amused to see him. Feeling for style ...yes, but a little to warm :D

look at how many guys you will see with full long sleeve dress shirts in 98 degrees. it makes then look official, to their way of thinking.

May 29, 2006
I think I only paid $35 for it on Ebay including shipping from Korea. Trying to find the seller again. In 30 years of cooking it really was the best knife I've used and I'd prefer it over a $200 Shun the same size.

If you can find them, Paula Dean actually had a very good set for the price under her license before she had her PR problems.