You came here from there………

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
not really looking for argument or debate ..

but how in the world does a Car wash possible affect you, unless you choose to LIVE near one ?
Would that not be part of the Homework , before putting down first months rent ?
just like making sure you are not going to get Flooded, every time it Rains .

just curious .
When I first moved here, I had previously spent all my time in the centers of Cabarete and Sosua where all the bars and restaurants are. I had no idea carwashes were popular places to drink and party. No one ever said to me - hey, let's go to the carwash and party.

I bought a place across from a carwash and that's all it was for a couple years - a carwash. Then came a long a new owner and turned it into a disco with ear splitting music. It took awhile, but we got Medio Ambiente to confiscate their equipment and shut them down.

Sailor51

2021 fashion statement
Oct 30, 2018
If I bitch about electricity, I am told to get solar panels, if I bitch about lack or water, I am told to dig a well. And I could do both, some day I might do one or the other or even both. For now, I don't have to but:

"Well", most Dominicans cannot do either for themselves. In my area they are in Barrio Blanco, Callejon de la Loma or La Cienaga. They have to rely , and should be able to rely, upon constant supplies of both water and electricity. The government running both of those utilities should be a clue as to why they have been so unreliable over time for many people. In my area, electricity has improved by making people pay. So that is good. Water? I had great water pressure for over 10 years. Now, when it is on, the pressure is 10 lbs. or less. There are more people and far less water. Supply has not kept up with demand. That absolutely sucks now for many people who don't have a 5,000 gallons cistern , pressure tank and pump like I do.

Where I am the noise situation has not been a major issue, thankfully
The water pressure problem is common in areas of substancial growth. The more taps that are open, the less the water flow.
The solution is to have developers pay for upgrades ... but good luck with that.
I can site examples of some really foolish mistakes.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I want to add, people do NOT necessarily come here because they didn't like it there.

That's too simplistic imho, people also move because they want to experience something different.

I personally still like it there while still loving here. I am where I am suppose to be at this point of my life. Doubt that it would be the same in 10 years though.

I agree with the last point though as not to change here to make it like other there. I appreciate the differences (some more than others) and that s why I am here for now.

My 2 pesos :cool:
Yes.......I have traveled most of my life.... and think I have about 3 moves left in me... never to change a place, or because I didnt like somewhere...life is to exciting to stay in one place.

CristoRey

Silver
Apr 1, 2014
Yes.......I have traveled most of my life.... and think I have about 3 moves left in me... never to change a place, or because I didnt like somewhere...life is to exciting to stay in one place.
"There" for me was life in New Orleans after Katrina. Enough was enough. Uncle Sam didn't show us much love afterwards so kucf 'em.
Having lived in a few different parts of the world since, this country checks off the most boxes for me and the positives still far out weigh the negatives even with the shut downs/ curfews. Listing all of the things I love about living here could easily make for a new thread. Life is short, enjoy it while it last.

Dubcreator

Sep 15, 2013
Belgium
If this quote has to be taken literally, then every expat who came from a cold country should throw out the airco units and swim in their sweat ;-)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If this quote has to be taken literally, then every expat who came from a cold country should throw out the airco units and swim in their sweat ;-)
I didn't have AC until fairly recently. And now only in the main bedroom and my music studio.

As for the water pressure, for sure the water company never paid attention to the additional houses and other properties being built.
So now, we get 10 lbs of pressure when we get it. I has been enough to maintain water in the cistern. So far,,,

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
I'm not sure why the author thinks someone is racist or phobic because they want to change things, but then again the "race card" is played more times than "feliz compleanos" on a Sunday afternoon at the beach; I don't want to change anything except the fact that lunatics are able to walk up and down a well-known beach on the south coast with broken Presidente bottle "ghetto knives" in their hands because the "cespool" is nowhere to be found

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I'm not sure why the author thinks someone is racist or phobic because they want to change things, but then again the "race card" is played more times than "feliz compleanos" on a Sunday afternoon at the beach; I don't want to change anything except the fact that lunatics are able to walk up and down a well-known beach on the south coast with broken Presidente bottle "ghetto knives" in their hands because the "cespool" is nowhere to be found

Hey Lt Dan; stupid is as stupid does to get into the Forrest context :), some people can t see beyond their own eyelashes. Its a jungle out there!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Nothing wrong about wanting change. It's when you starting bitching and moaning about everything all the time, you should know it's time for you to leave.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Nothing wrong about wanting change. It's when you starting bitching and moaning about everything all the time, you should know it's time for you to leave.
some people are like seagulls, all they do is eat, squawk, and shi................

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hey Lt Dan; stupid is as stupid does to get into the Forrest context :), some people can t see beyond their own eyelashes. Its a jungle out there!
exactly what my Dominmican relatives call it "a Jungle"............