You guys have got to read this one

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Story made the NY Times yesterday, although it sounds like there are some doubters who question the results.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
By question I mean that they are a direct result of the stem cell therapy

I would bet "YES".

My Son underwent stem cell surgery to repair a badly damaged knee (from on the job wear and tear after years of "street ball" on hard asphalt courts). They started rehab immediately after the surgery. It seems that using stem cells is the only way possible to regrow cartilage. These stem cells are not from the recipient's body. They are collected from placenta and cultured in a petri dish in a lab somewhere until ready for use.

Anyway, long story short, he was back on the job and fully functional in about 3 months and now it's his "good knee". That's the good news.

The bad news is that whether or not this type of procedure will work on every patient is a guessing game. The Dr. who performed his surgery advised him that he would either get a lot better in a short period of time or not at all and require knee replacement. The other problem with this surgery is that it is prohibitively expensive. The costs of his operation, therapy and followup treatment was well into 6 figures. As a State law enforcement officer, it didn't cost him a dime but for me and those of us who aren't covered 100%/ no deductible, no copay it would represent a 5 figure out of pocket expense. With that in mind if it were me I'd probably opt for the knee replacement and a sure thing as a result but I'm 25 years older than he is and I don't have to chase anybody.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Got ya zoomzx11, I had surgery last july and I'm still battling the pain, just had another MRI Athogram yesterday and I cant even move my shoulder.

Hi I had rotator cuff surgery at the end of March in HOMS Santiago. This was after 3 months being told I had dislocated discs in my neck and upper back (does not need surgery) and the doctors trying to convince me to have surgery. The second opinion at HOMS diagnosed rotor cuff injury after 4 mri's. Now my shoulder looks like it is dislocated and is still painful, with a lot of pain in my upper arm now as well. I find doing my exercises in the shower with hot water running over my shoulder helps more than going to therapy. What I would like to know is, is this "normal"? Should my shoulder look this way? Everywhere I have looked on the internet says no, but my doctor thinks it is perfect.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not sure, who did the op?...

I am going to look into this stem cell for my knee that was "semi-blown" out in 74. Keeps me from being a champion again!!

HB

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
A doctor Portelo did the op at HOMS on 21st March this year. I went to physio at the clinic in Puerto Plata. But after being burnt once because the heated pad was too hot, then having my arm yanked out suddenly sideways, plus having different therapists doing different things (rather confusing) I decided to go it alone. I downloaded the therapy regime off the net and have been doing them. My shoulder is an odd shape now to say the least although the scar has healed well.