Young people, and old, use 3-hour grace period for relaxing on the waterfront

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ciudadanos-en-el-malecon-Diario-Libre.jpg

Reporters from the Diario Libre noted that in spite of the notable increase in cases of the coronavirus in all of Greater Santo Domingo’s hospitals and clinics, many persons congregated on the George Washington Avenue (the Malecón) seaside benches and kiosks to talk and listen to music during the three-hour grace period after the curfew. These three hours are exclusively for people to commute from where they are to where they will spend the night.

According to the newspaper, when the Saturday and Sunday 6pm curfew began, the Malecón was still full of people, and the National Police and members of the Armed Forces were required to tell these people to leave and get home. And then people wonder why there have been over a thousand new cases of the virus every day for the past two weeks.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Some these "reports" are sounding more like tattle-taling and less like news worthy material.
With all of the things happening in and around Santo Domingo on any given weekend, this
is the best these losers can come up with?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Some these "reports" are sounding more like snitching and less like news worthy material.
With all of the things happening in and around Santo Domingo on any given weekend, this
is the best these losers can come up with?
It's been like that for awhile now. I noticed it when one of the papers here reported on Boca Chica. I guess it makes them feel all self-righteous.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
Why an allowance for travel time? Set the curfew at a particular hour. If I'm 2 hours away from home, then I know I have to head home 2 hours before the curfew time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why an allowance for travel time? Set the curfew at a particular hour. If I'm 2 hours away from home, then I know I have to head home 2 hours before the curfew time.
Because this is the Dominican Republic.
A country where 8:00am tomorrow morning means "if you're lucky you might see me sometime before lunch."
Punctuality, Respect, Refund and Responsibility....
Those of you who live down here full-time, ya get my point.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's mainly so businesses don't have to close earlier than usual and allows employees time to get home from work.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Part of the "problem" is totally on the gobermint and how they issue directives. They call in travel time or "free time" as my GF calls it. Who would need 3 hours to get home? Even if they were out at the beach and returning to SD. that is less than 40 miles from Juan Dolio or 50 minutes of travel time. So, does the gub want to prove you are not "traveling" you are dilly dallying and catching a fresh breeze? And what is the punishment for not being in the act of traveling?
In addition, the constant changes in the hours is like wack a mole. THere is a point that ppl don't take these regualtion seriously. Where is there allowances for logical thinking? For informal businesses, as in beauty salons. For formal businesses that are dependent upon social happening?
Would they let a bar operate if everyone in the place was vaccinated ? Or, is that too radical? They would instead chop off the head and not save the patient.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's mainly so businesses don't have to close earlier than usual and allows employees time to get home from work.
And from I can see...they all head down the street and get on a crowed bus, gua gua, or other, 10x more dangerous than the restaurant they just left.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yes, makes no sense. In a city like SD, it could take an hour and a half to get home during rush hour.
Exactly, even in Santiago, before I closed my office I had to allow 2 hours because with everyone trying to get home in time some employees, which had to take 2 different conchos (stuffed with folks) told me that because of the mad rush to get home, many of the conchos were already full which meant longer waits to get a seat.

Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Exactly, even in Santiago, before I closed my office I had to allow 2 hours because with everyone trying to get home in time some employees, which had to take 2 different conchos (stuffed with folks) told me that because of the mad rush to get home, many of the conchos were already full which meant longer waits to get a seat.
Even here in Cabarete, there are employees that live in Puerto Plata. When the curfew was at 5pm, it could easily take them 2 hours, or more, to get home. I know some people that live in Villa Altagracia that work in SD. At rush hour, it can easily take more than 2 hours get home.

Reactions: Garyexpat