Young people speak out to keep the Dominican Republic beautiful

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
By Dolores Vicioso, Editor DR1dolores@dr1.com

Samana-Vogue-e1595857621961.jpg

The new generations are brazen, and many are accepting the challenge to do their part to make a difference. They have just voted in a new political party and president after 16 straight years of the ruling Dominican Liberation Party (PLD). They are defending their beautiful land by demanding actions be taken to revert negative situations.

Young environmental activist and photographer Carmen Danae recently responded to a British Vogue challenge/reset sending in five photos of her province, Samana. She did not focus on its long stretches of white-sanded beaches – Coson, Las Terrenas, Rincon, Las Galeras, for which Samaná is best known for around the world.

Instead, she sent in photos of two national parks –Los Haitises National Park and Lower Yuna River Mangroves National Park, both in the province. The photos showed the pristine...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I'm nobody's definition of a tree-hugger or an alarmist, but there's no denying the obvious. If there's to be a change in mentality it will have to be generational. Nice to see that there are plenty of kids doing more than staring at their cell phones all day.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
British Vogue writes on its Instagram page today:

"Of all of the submissions for #BritishVogue's recent landscape-themes challenge, artist @CarmenDanae's images have sparked far and away the most heated debate -- along with critically important discussions about the future of sustainable tourism. The dedicated environemntalist's five #Vogue Challenge covers highlight different areas of the Samana province in the Dominican Republic, where her mother's family is from, and where she has spent the last two years helping to clean beaches. "I hope that most people who look at this image see not the Dominican Republic, but themselves," Danae explains. "This is not the Dominican Republic's issue. This is a human issue. We've all used plastic water bottles. We've all opened packaged filled with styrofoam. It's my fault. And it's our shared responsibility to fix it. I hope that seeing these photographs is a call to action."

"

Edward Enninful on the controversial #Reset cover:

It’s this sentiment that resonated with Enninful, who chose the image of Bajo Yuna Mangrove National Park as one of his favourite #Reset covers, alongside photographs of everything from Icelandic waterfalls to California deserts. “I also felt it was important to include an image that serves as a warning to all of us: that of a beach, littered with plastic,” Enninful explains of his final top-10 selection. “That it happens to have been taken in the Dominican Republic, which is a breathtakingly beautiful country, is intended to be inconsequential: there are scenes like this all over the world. Indeed, when lockdown was first lifted in London, where I live, we saw parks and beaches in the UK covered in litter after people enjoyed their first day out in the fresh air for the first time in months. It saddens me to see our world destroyed like this, and I hope this image serves as a reminder to everyone that we have a responsibility to look after our planet for future generations.”

https://www.vogue.co.uk/news/article/carmen-danae-august-issue

"

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I disagree - the schools are teaching the young people about litter, being careful etc

I had an experience a few yrs ago...

A group of young Dominicans were doing a film shoot on the north coast -
these were upwardly mobile people - multilingual, educated - the works

They were fascinated by the north coast, Samana and so on

One asked me where the famous tree was-
there is some local lore that the oldest tree in the country is on the north coast - I know nothing about that !!

The most astounding discovery of my few days with them was that NONE of them had ever been to the north coast before!!
Imagine - this is the future of the country... all Capitalanos (?)....
and there were unaware - not introduced to their country - small as it is..... hard for me to believe.

I am happy to read this story about the girl cleaning up the plastic debris
Progress !!
Looking to the future...........

Reactions: aarhus and banzai

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Remember the protests earlier in the year in Plaza de la Bandera when the organisers and participants made a point of collecting all the waste.

Sep 22, 2009
I disagree - the schools are teaching the young people about litter, being careful etc

I had an experience a few yrs ago...

A group of young Dominicans were doing a film shoot on the north coast -
these were upwardly mobile people - multilingual, educated - the works

They were fascinated by the north coast, Samana and so on

One asked me where the famous tree was-
there is some local lore that the oldest tree in the country is on the north coast - I know nothing about that !!

The most astounding discovery of my few days with them was that NONE of them had ever been to the north coast before!!
Imagine - this is the future of the country... all Capitalanos (?)....
and there were unaware - not introduced to their country - small as it is..... hard for me to believe.

I am happy to read this story about the girl cleaning up the plastic debris
Progress !!
Looking to the future...........
It's tough on kids when they're constantly exposed to public urination and then tossing an empty beer bottle into the tall grass.