Your electricity bill will go up this month

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
11,304
1,639
93
Factura-Electrica-cobro-La-Bilirrubina-Twitter-1024x679.jpg
Prices for electricity consumption will go up. / La Bilirrubina / Twitter

For the first quarter of 2022, electricity will continue to go up as the government seeks to rid itself of the burden of covering hundreds of millions in technical losses accountable to the electricity distributors (the Edes).

Some clients have already begun to suffer the economic blows, since they were charged the new rates in spite of only having three days of the new year on their bill. This is the case where a client was billed on 3 December, and then on 3 January, but, because of the new tariffs, the entire bill was calculated at the new rates.

In general, the increase in tariffs is being gradually applied. For example, the fixed cost for service of over 100 kWh are up by RD$2.24 in EdeNorte but it will go down by over RD$3.00 in EdeEste and EdeSur. Fees for consumption go...

Continue reading...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
9,450
5,474
113
This is only a drop in the bucket. Wait until they roll out their new tax reforms and plans to fomarlize the informal economy.
 

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
6,212
3,574
113
Sounds like a good time to move from the North down to the South.
 

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
6,212
3,574
113
It was tongue in cheek. Did you see this sentence?
"For example, the fixed cost for service of over 100 kWh are up by RD$2.24 in EdeNorte but it will go down by over RD$3.00 in EdeEste and
EdeSur"


Mine dropped too.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
2,236
775
113
130.32 Cargo Fila
200 kWh at 5.48
43 kWh at 7.81 = 1562.15 pesos Edenorte

02 Dec- 02 Jan
Bob,

Cost of one litre of furnace oil in my area $1.10 a litre. Cost to fill a 200 gallon tank $1100 with taxes. At current winter temps, it will last a month, maybe five weeks.

Additional monthly cost of electricity for lights, stove, washer/dryer $80 to $100 an month.

Your blessed living in the DR. Guess where I would rather be? 😆😎🌴
 

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
6,212
3,574
113
Ecoman, this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways: Do you have to heat the entire house?
I have a decent sized house with 3 A/C's, but I only run one at a time, and they're not set very cool. I keep them at 78 degrees which is just enough to feel refreshed when I enter from outside.
In other words, I'm not cooling the entire house, just the room I'm in.
Can you do that sort of control with heating?
 

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
3,060
1,179
113
In Bavaro we are paying $14.5 pesos per kw. Our average monthly bill is around $4500 pesos.
Our power company is CEPM.
 

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
3,060
1,179
113
Ecoman, this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways: Do you have to heat the entire house?
I have a decent sized house with 3 A/C's, but I only run one at a time, and they're not set very cool. I keep them at 78 degrees which is just enough to feel refreshed when I enter from outside.
In other words, I'm not cooling the entire house, just the room I'm in.
Can you do that sort of control with heating?
In our Canadian homes they are heated by a gas furnace that blows hot air throughout the whole house. The gas provides the heat and the blower is electric. You can close the air vents in rooms that you don't use but if plumbing runs into that room or under it you could have freeze ups which is a problem you really want to avoid.

When we are gone we set the thermostat to 17c and hope for the best. We had a furnace go out on Christmas eve when it was getting to -40. Fortunately it was caught in time before any damage was done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ecoman1949

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
3,531
1,096
113
Cabarete
It seems a very bad time for Edenorte to be increasing prices. The service is more unreliable than I have ever known it, having lived here eleven years.
 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
30,479
3,914
113
dr1.com
Bob,

Cost of one litre of furnace oil in my area $1.10 a litre. Cost to fill a 200 gallon tank $1100 with taxes. At current winter temps, it will last a month, maybe five weeks.

Additional monthly cost of electricity for lights, stove, washer/dryer $80 to $100 an month.

Your blessed living in the DR. Guess where I would rather be? 😆😎🌴
I wasnt complaining. I dont find the electricity expensive in the DR.
 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
38,853
3,975
113
It seems a very bad time for Edenorte to be increasing prices. The service is more unreliable than I have ever known it, having lived here eleven years.
Those two things are independent issues.
The increase in prices is being done to cover the losses incurred.

Reliability? That is something that could be helped, but it would take hiring more competent staff. And don't assume because they are charging more they can hire better people. They are a long way from covering the losses.
 

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
8,367
839
113
I wasnt complaining. I dont find the electricity expensive in the DR.
Could it be that's because you are in the dark so often?
Someone else paying your electric bill ?
Where do you find electricity expensive if not the DR?
Ever been to Italy, bob?

Diariolibre.dom has the DR electric costs as the second most expensive in the world with only Italy as more expensive per KWH.
I would not mind paying so much if the electric was actually on all the time.
 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
30,479
3,914
113
dr1.com
Could it be that's because you are in the dark so often?
Someone else paying your electric bill ?
Where do you find electricity expensive if not the DR?
Ever been to Italy, bob?

Diariolibre.dom has the DR electric costs as the second most expensive in the world with only Italy as more expensive per KWH.
I would not mind paying so much if the electric was actually on all the time.
My electricity is on 90 percent of the time and my inversor covers the other 10%. My bill averages 1500 pesos an month and my MIL s around. a 1000. With the school accts and several other acct in total usually less than 10,000 pesos in total. Peanuts really. Plus you are wrong about the DR being the second highest, as you are about most things. https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/electricity_prices/
 

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
8,367
839
113
My electricity is on 90 percent of the time and my inversor covers the other 10%. My bill averages 1500 pesos an month and my MIL s around. a 1000. With the school accts and several other acct in total usually less than 10,000 pesos in total. Peanuts really. Plus you are wrong about the DR being the second highest, as you are about most things. https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/electricity_prices/
Nice to hear from you bob but you are in error in your reply.
Its your old bugaboo, reading comprehension.
I never said the DR had the second highest electric in the world.
When you do not understand re reading is your friend.
Only quoting Diariolibre.

Glad to hear your electric bill is "peanuts".
 

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
6,212
3,574
113
Could it be that's because you are in the dark so often?
Someone else paying your electric bill ?
Where do you find electricity expensive if not the DR?
Ever been to Italy, bob?

Diariolibre.dom has the DR electric costs as the second most expensive in the world with only Italy as more expensive per KWH.
I would not mind paying so much if the electric was actually on all the time.
Have a link for that?