Your Favorite Fruit in The D.R.

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
I'm sold on mangoes and bananas. Can someone tell me the seasonality of these in the D.R.
Funny, I've never had a mango in the D.R, can't wait!
Love the freshness when picking bananas off the tree in the DR. Try one in Canada in the winter and you'll understand.(n)

Reactions: Russell

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
You can find them all year long.

I'm a banana, strawberries, and avocado maniac and eat them almost every day. Good and good for you!!
All in with those. Indeed strawberries are one of my fav's . In winter here they taste like sawdust!
I was unaware you can get strawberries in the DR, are they available in Sosua year round? I never saw any.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All in with those. Indeed strawberries are one of my fav's . In winter here they taste like sawdust!
I was unaware you can get strawberries in the DR, are they available in Sosua year round? I never saw any.
Go up to Constanza some time. Strawberry Central. Here in SD they sell them on all major intersections most of the year. .

Jan 9, 2004
Now I am jealous.

Covid-19 has kept me away this Christmas.

Always enjoy the fresh Chinola from our tree, together with ice, on the balcon, sitting in my mesedora with that constant breeze we seem to have and listening to Luis Miguel.

Perhaps next year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Caonabo

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
We have the three sizes of mangoes small, standard and really big (20oz) or more.
I like the Mandrinas, Bananas passion fruit and a few fruit here that I have yet to name or identify. strawberries, they are all my favorites.

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
We have Zapote Mango Chinola batidas for breakfast as often as possible. We also have lechosa pineapple batidas quite often. My favorite fruit is the criolla oranges from my MILs tree. Big, super juicy and tasty .
This may be my second or third breakfast in the DR. I'm a fruit fanatic in the mornings.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mangoes.

The strawberries are horrible here. Never had a good one.
Watermelons can be good but usually they are picked too early.

I came here from California and the variety of fruits here is disappointing to this day 17 years later.

Reactions: irsav

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mangoes.

The strawberries are horrible here. Never had a good one.
Watermelons can be good but usually they are picked too early.

I came here from California and the variety of fruits here is disappointing to this day 17 years later.
The strawberries are fine for mixing in a blender with other fruits for flavor. Russ , a Canadian guy here grows delicious raspberries. There are pretty good seedless watermelons here. We get a lot of fruit and veggies given to us by teachers or clients.