Your Favorite Fruit in The D.R.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The strawberries are fine for mixing in a blender with other fruits for flavor. Russ , a Canadian guy here grows delicious raspberries. There are pretty good seedless watermelons here. We get a lot of fruit and veggies given to us by teachers or clients.
Raspberries? Be still my heart! I'm guessing only in the mountains. Down here in BC is too hot.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Mi esposo says the best avocados are available closer to summer.
We recently had caribbean avocados ($3-each)importer from the DR at Superstore. Usually the only option is the tiny Hass and that’s all because they ship better and last longer 🙄.

Mi suegra makes fantastic guava juice.
Chinola is my favourite and nearly impossible to find in Canada.
Tayota is another favourite that also has somewhat limited availability, and is small and expensive when it is around.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Mangoes are excellent in DR-I am a mango snob as my family has land back home with Mangoes-
Love Chinola as well.

Reactions: Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Careful, chinola juice is said to make one impotent ;)

Not that I don't drink home made chinola juice, mind you. And no, I am not :)
damnare spit my juice out the nose...
that was funny 😅

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My in laws have a blood orange tree in their backyard. I’m not a fan. My father in law likes to garden and it’s a little oasis back there, with avocado, banana, coffee, and the orange tree.
I took him grape seeds last trip but so far, no luck.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
My in laws have a blood orange tree in their backyard. I’m not a fan. My father in law likes to garden and it’s a little oasis back there, with avocado, banana, coffee, and the orange tree.
I took him grape seeds last trip but so far, no luck.
You have got to be in Italy (better Sicily), this time of the year, to truly appreciate how scrumptious the blood oranges are. The ones I see here in the US are sad clones.

On another note, I visit the DR for a variety of reasons, sun and sand being one but mangoes are another. Indeed this past July, I was so taken in by a variety I ate there, with their sweet ripe smell that I tried to smuggle in a few but unfortunately, the dogs sniffed me out....and all those delicacies got thrown away, speaking of how much I love mangoes.

Chinolas (passion fruit?) are very good too, but I have trouble with the pips....

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
There is nothing I hated more when I was a kid than eggplant. Now I love the stuff. Funny how tastes change as we get older.
In Thailand, they do a grilled whole eggplant (they have this small variety), peel off the burnt skin and then chop it up and season it with salt, oil, cilantro and chopped green chili....heavenly! Indeed in the DR, they do a similar thing except that they later cook the grilled eggplant, (with aji and garlic and it tastes good) but which to me is kinda superfluous....the grilling of the eggplant already softens the meat plus its natural aroma....
Finally, the seasoned eggplant slices under oil or slices of eggplant on pizza in Italy....inolvidable!

Having said that and given that this is a fruit forum, let me get back to the king of fruits, mango, even though people in SE Asia will say that Durian is the "King" of fruits. I do wish DR had the lychee though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In Thailand, they do a grilled whole eggplant (they have this small variety), peel off the burnt skin and then chop it up and season it with salt, oil, cilantro and chopped green chili....heavenly! Indeed in the DR, they do a similar thing except that they later cook the grilled eggplant, (with aji and garlic and it tastes good) but which to me is kinda superfluous....the grilling of the eggplant already softens the meat plus its natural aroma....
Finally, the seasoned eggplant slices under oil or slices of eggplant on pizza in Italy....inolvidable!

Having said that and given that this is a fruit forum, let me get back to the king of fruits, mango, even though people in SE Asia will say that Durian is the "King" of fruits. I do wish DR had the lychee though.
Lychee are grown here in Jarabacoa. Guava are also delicious. My wife lives for Mango, definitely her favorite. I love them too but my stomach doesn't.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lychee are grown here in Jarabacoa. Guava are also delicious. My wife lives for Mango, definitely her favorite. I love them too but my stomach doesn't.
I love Mangos but way too sweet for me and my skin is allergic to them. I can eat small quantities but if the juice gets on my skin I swell up in a matter of minutes. Weird.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Lychee reminded me of guanabana/soursop. Not a favourite either but it’s better than mango in my opinion. I choose chinola any day.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I forgot to add, Lemoncillo (not sure about the spelling). Love, love, perfect fruit para picar all day.

1609710453904.png

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I love Mangos but way too sweet for me and my skin is allergic to them. I can eat small quantities but if the juice gets on my skin I swell up in a matter of minutes. Weird.
My niece has the same problem, and how do you get a ripe mango without getting juice on you.