Your Favorite Fruit in The D.R.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Oh my...
What a coincidence that this thread was bumped forward.
Just the other day while perusing the fruit and veg depart in my local SuperC (Beau, bon, pas cher), I came across a special on passion fruit.
I stopped and hesitated.
They were pretty small and all wrapped individually in plastic wrap.
$1.49 CAD each.
Whoa... I said to myself.
I walked on but the urge was too strong.
lol.
I succumbed.
When I got home I unwrapped the little jewel, gave it a good scrub and sliced it open.
All things considered it was a little on the dry side but...
I scooped out the gelatinous joy and puckered up just like way back when.
So delicious.
It brought me back.
No better way to start the day than with a jolt of fresh chinola to get the juices (saliva) flowing.
Yum.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Mine has to be bananas. I eat them every single day.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Mine has to be bananas. I eat them every single day.
I would like to do that also, but by the time I drive home from La Sirena (10-15 Minutes), the banana's skins are already turning brown and the banana mushy.

I prefer eating them, not drinking them. 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌
Of the six I bought yesterday, I managed to eat one in the store parking lot, the only way to eat a firm one.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I would like to do that also, but by the time I drive home from La Sirena (10-15 Minutes), the banana's skins are already turning brown and the banana mushy.

I prefer eating them, not drinking them. 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌
Of the six I bought yesterday, I managed to eat one in the store parking lot, the only way to eat a firm one.
I usually don't have that problem. I buy bananas on Sundays that are not quite ripe yet (with a tinge of green tint on the ends) and I eat them every day for the entire week. Some even make it to Saturday, and when they don't, they turn into banana bread.

Reactions: flyinroom

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I usually don't have that problem. I buy bananas on Sundays that are not quite ripe yet (with a tinge of green tint on the ends) and I eat them every day for the entire week. Some even make it to Saturday, and when they don't, they turn into banana bread.
From which store do you buy them?
Bravo's bananas usually last for 2-3 days, but the closet store is too far out of the way here in Santiago.

La Sirena's bananas are so bad that one time when I picked beautiful looking bananas to buy,
... by the time I got to the cashier, they look like they had been through the war... lol

I put them back on the shelf.

I usually try to buy the greenish looking ones, but still the same problems with La Sirena's bananas.

Don

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
From which store do you buy them?
Bravo's bananas usually last for 2-3 days, but the closet store is too far out of the way here in Santiago.

La Sirena's bananas are so bad that one time when I picked beautiful looking bananas to buy,
... by the time I got to the cashier, they look like they had been through the war... lol

I put them back on the shelf.

I usually try to buy the greenish looking ones, but still the same problems with La Sirena's bananas.

Don

I have been buying from Sirena for a while now. If they don't have the "not quite ripe" ones I don't buy them.
Two comments- I go fairly early in the morning to beat the crowds, and I discovered not long ago they have two locations for their bananas. One has the kind I buy, the other has the ones ready to eat.
I'm not sure if the store you go to has the same setup, but look around carefully the next time. You may be surprised.
I also store my bananas on a banana holder/tree/post on my kitchen counter.