• Through the media.

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 50 19.2%

• Total voters

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
My first time in the DR was last year. I went to satisfy my own curiosity about the place I have been reading about on this and other sites for the past several years. Then last February I finally was able to travel there. It was a very interesting trip and just a start. I am looking forward to exploring more parts of this country...

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I wish I had as interesting a story as some of you guys. My parents are dominican... :ermm: that's about it I guess. They both became professionals here (US) and will retire there in a four years; my dream is that I get a great paying job that I enjoy in the DR...lol...a bit far fetched but you never know :cheeky:.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I went to a wedding in Puerto Plata back in 91' big family reunion (my uncle married a Dominican) I was a teenager at the time.. CULTURE SHOCK. (small children on the streets begging for money and not in school.. 1st time I saw poverty)

Then I returned in 98' to Santo Domingo to visit my Cuban family that had moved to the DR from the states in 95'. I met my husband whom is Dominican...not a sankie... lol. friends of my family in DR.

I have been hooked since..we go twice a year to visit family & friends.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I have also traveled many times to help out with mission trips (translater) and for business (European Fine Children's Clothing)

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I first came to the DR on a business trip back in January. I had travelled quite a bit before and had not heard a lot of great comments about the country. A lot of friends said they didn't like Punta Cana as there were only hotels there and nothing else to do. I was not excited to go at all. I have done quite a few roughing it trips (going to Mexico with no hotel booked and just a tent) and lots of luxury trips too. So I am not a virgin traveller by any means.

I can't believe I even listened to any one else and even thought I would have a bad time. I am in love with the DR - what an amzing country it is. I am always learning something new about it.

Yes, I did meet a guy on my first trip - who doesn't, I have since learned - and yes, I did find this website and learn all about sankies which made me start a thread about my new found love. But since then have gone back down a few more times (this is my fourth trip in 11 months) and this time I am going for 24 days - I can't wait!

I have to admit at first all the sankie talk made me doubt what I was feeling both about the country and him but that has totally changed. If I hadn't read everything that has been posted I could have made a few mistakes but in the long run I am glad I know all this info and thanks to everyone I am not second guessing myself any longer.

I love the DR, the culture and all my new friends! I can't wait to go - 8 days and counting!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I grew up in an area of the Bronx (by the 181st bridge and University) where the building where I lived was bought by Dominicans.

I met some cool and not so cool Dominicans in the 1980's who spoke alot about DR.

I got curious in my older years and decided to visit. I now go at least three times a year.

So you're not Dominican?

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I went to the dr to meet my future family in law. Was completely unprepared and put myself at the mercy of my wife to be. It took me 3 days to overcome the cultureshock, including:
- blackouts and forced candle light diner
- Getting up in the morning and being greeted by some one of thr "family" as if you've known him all your life (knowing that i need at least an hour to become functional)
- getting with a dozen people in a pick-up to la esperanza
- getting viontly woken up by the rain on the tin roof

The 3rd day a hummingbird came by and drank from the straw of my cuba libre (Emagin the little birds hangover next day :ermm: ) And that's the moment i was hooked on the island

mademoizaile

Jan 9, 2008
First love, true love

My first encounter with the culture was through my boyfriend's family. His mum is from the island, and from the moment I met her, I wanted to know more about the country. The first real discussion we had was a few years ago, in the middle of the night.. neither of us could sleep, so we sat around a pot of tea, and I made her talked about her beloved island... it was impossible not to fall in love when she talked about the people she loves above all (and misses above all), the music she grew up with (juan Gabriel! hihihihi), the houses painted in many colours without windows, the beautiful weather... she told me that once I'd go there, I wouldn't wannna come back

I went to DR fort the first time this last Christmas, and well... what can I say... she was downright... I've been back home for a few weeks now and all I can think of is going back there ASAP...

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I went first time to Juan Dolio, in 2005, in March. It was the cheapest ticket for an AI. It was nice, saw the poverty and the bars at windows and doors. Strange image: Law Office with bars on all windows !!
But the people were so nice, everywhere, on the beach, in SD, where we went for a day. Nice music too. When I came home, I kept hearing the bachata in my head for long time. Antony Santos, Leonardo Paniagua. Was something of magic in it. So I was hooked, and went back a few more times. Now thinking of retiring there. And was that wonderful wine we had in La Dorada, POP. lol

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Went to Sosua in July of 2004. Knew nothing about the place. Just wanted to travel and get the hell away from NYC.

My dominican friends in NYC were useless, as all they told me were horror stories about tourists getting taken advantage of, how dangerous the country was and how I'd get sick from eating the food.

So I decided to go anyway:cheeky: and have been going back ever since.

Didn't get robbed, taken advantage of or sick from eating food sold by local street vendors.

Didn't take any tours, didn't talk to any expats. Just hung out for 2 weeks doing nothing but dancing, drinking, going to the beach(usually around 2-3 pm after waking up next to one or two fine chicas), getting massages and meeting chicas. Thats' all I did and I've never regretted it.

That is what a vacation is supposed to be like.

As an aside, I did notice that some male tourists were very jealous and overprotective of their P4P girlfriends, which I found rather strange given the environment in which they met these chicas. But whatever.

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
My first exposure to the Dominican Republic was when I was an Anthropology major (Latin American & Caribbean Studies) and Trujillo was just one of the many dictators on a long roster of caudillos who held power. But it was another roster much later that captured the hearts and minds of the people of Toronto and made us wonder if we shouldn't be singing a different national anthem:
George Bell
Jose Canseco
Tony Fernandez
Damaso Garcia
Juan Guzman
Manny Lee
Nelson Liriano
Jose Nunez

Finally it was through my love of dance (salsa, merengue and bachata) that I decided to visit the DR. I'm just starting to learn more about this beautiful country and it's people, and a day doesn't go by without some reminder of the country or the people of the Dominican Republic.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Business Trip-

I was sent on a fam trip through the travel agency I worked for. I had never heard of the DR until then - this was 15 years ago. The tour company (Air Transat) had us working the whole time!! :cry: We were wined and dined by 12 hotels, various restaurants and all the excursion companies. Our main base was Playa Naco which wasn't even fully completed yet, but we required to stay at the now defunct Cofresi Beach Resort for one night. I fell in love with the country, loved the tranquility of Cofresi Beach the most (which is no longer a tranquil place, I might add), booked a 2 week vacation in Cofresi, made a lot of contacts with the ex-pats of Cofresi, and moved there. This all happened in a matter of 5-6 months. And NO - there was no "relationship" involved!!!
Marlie

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
baseball---

with the influx of latin baseball players into MLB and all the good things i heard about winter baseball, i thought i would take a trip to see winter baseball. never realized that the DR was such a nice country because all i had heard about the DR was it was a breeding ground for some of the best baseball players in the world.

additionally, i had met Miguel Tejeda when he was with the Baltimore Orioles and he told me to go visit because there is more there than baseball....

man, was he right !! :laugh:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Haven't answered this one because no way would I lump myself in with the "missionaries".

juancuban

Jan 26, 2008
DR Explored

I studied spanish in Guadalajara, Mexico a couple of years ago. A great city and a great place to learn since very little english is spoken.
I wanted to learn somewhere else, where my background-mixed Cuban and
Jamaican, wasn't an issue to the people around me.

By chance, I was watching the History Channel on a program about Christopher Columbus. Well, everybody knows the connection of The D.R.
and CC. I began to look into this caribbean island, they call the D.R.

You know what, I was hooked. I felt I could continue my studies. My looks would blend right in and I could study without feeling like an outsider.

I will be visiting the island, the first week of february. Its only a 3 day trip because I am checking to see if I will like it enough to go to school. I have two museums and two bookstores planned and that's it.

If I like the D.R. enough to go to school, then I will use my off time to explore the people and its history. When I travel to Jamaica (to see my mother), I don't stay in the tourist area, I stay at her house. The school I plan to attend has family sponsors and that is the best way to learn a language,
just embed yourself with the locals and you get to really appreciate and understand their way of life.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I first came here to play golf in 1995. I was living in Venezuela at the time. Came every year with about 20 buddies ,and eventually sailed here and stayed, though I still travel around the Carribean.