20032006 Travel News ArchiveNewsTravel

Attention Canadian travelers

Whether you are resident in the United States or will transit the United States on your way to Canada or other destinations, it is important that you and your family members are aware of new requirements for Canadian travelers under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

As of January 23, 2007, the United States’ Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will require Canadian citizens to present one of the following documents when entering or transiting the United States by air:

– A valid Canadian passport;

– A NEXUS Air card when used at a NEXUS Air kiosk.

Note that as of that date, Canadians entering or transiting the United States by air without the required documentation are likely to be referred for secondary screening, where US Customs and Border Protection officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship and identity. As a result, Canadians without the required documentation may be prevented from boarding their flights. Delays and unexpected financial expenses may also occur.

The Government of Canada continues to recommend that Canadians carry a valid Canadian passport for all visits to the United States. Please note that Canadians are not required to have Machine Readable Passports to enter the United States, even if the passport was issued abroad. Canada is not a participant in the US Visa Waiver Program.